Support Group

Dan F

I should stop writing depressing fics...I don't really think it's helping. But it feels good. It feels good to write some that's depressing me? That's slightly strange.

I love writing Angst fics. Horribly depressing stuff, but the characters get angry and sometimes get even. It's cathartic. I haven't read your stuff (I keep meaning to but I really hate reading - I have to psych myself up for it lol) but if you're anything like me, you have pain and depression and you don't necessarily understand why it's so bad or where it's coming from, so you write about terrible things as a way to feel those things in a justified way through your characters. It is slightly strange but I don't think it's a bad thing. It's better to be writing it out and acknowledging it, maybe even thinking up ways to deal with it through what you have your characters do, than it is to deny that anything's wrong, pretending to be happy all the time when you're not.

If the subject is depressing you at the moment, I think you just have to stick it out and keep writing until you reach a positive resolution to the story. I think knowing that that resolution is coming is why you feel good. Even if it's not a happy ending, it will give you a sense of achievement when you get there. Keep going. Writing is always good :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling depressed. And I've just realised that I never thanked you for replying to my post about a month ago. Sorry about your Dad and thank you for your advice. You're right, nothing's going to make it easier but I think she knows I'm just there if she needs me.

I do the same thing, if I'm depressed I listen to incredibly depressing music. Sometimes it's good to wallow - but not for too long!

And don't feel bad for having a down day. If you looked hard enough there's always someone that has it worse off than you, doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel rubbish for what's going on in your life. There's always going to be someone that has it better than you. Just let yourself be unhappy for yourself but then try and do something to cheer yourself up. Ring a friend, watch a funny film, just make yourself laugh. Life's too short to waste it being unhappy.

Sorry for the crap advice, please feel free to completely ignore me.

It's not crap advice, it's very true advice. It's just I've been having a lot of down days lately...finding the positive gets hard sometimes, but I'll get through it, I guess. I have before.

I should stop writing depressing fics...I don't really think it's helping. But it feels good. It feels good to write some that's depressing me? That's slightly strange.

I love writing Angst fics. Horribly depressing stuff, but the characters get angry and sometimes get even. It's cathartic. I haven't read your stuff (I keep meaning to but I really hate reading - I have to psych myself up for it lol) but if you're anything like me, you have pain and depression and you don't necessarily understand why it's so bad or where it's coming from, so you write about terrible things as a way to feel those things in a justified way through your characters. It is slightly strange but I don't think it's a bad thing. It's better to be writing it out and acknowledging it, maybe even thinking up ways to deal with it through what you have your characters do, than it is to deny that anything's wrong, pretending to be happy all the time when you're not.

If the subject is depressing you at the moment, I think you just have to stick it out and keep writing until you reach a positive resolution to the story. I think knowing that that resolution is coming is why you feel good. Even if it's not a happy ending, it will give you a sense of achievement when you get there. Keep going. Writing is always good :)

Wow. You said that well. It's like...living through your characters. I guess I've always lived through my writing, though- it's the only time I've ever felt comfortable to be who am I am and say what I want. I guess it keeps me sane. I've been writing for so long, there is no way I'm going to give up now.

Thanks both, for your advice. :)

I'm just a bit emotional this morning..

I read a very, very sad story, abt two boys having DMD. Last night.. I hope my comment I have left, has helped them, it was the best advice i was given, Esp been honest with Tom. As I knew/know to many parents, not telling there child they have DMD what the illness will do to the person who has it.. The the poor lads have been so confussed, and hurt when they have found out abt DMD. I'd hate any other young person, to go throu that..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-...al-illness.html

It has taken me back to June 1993 and I was told he had DMD.

I know Tom and I are at a differnt stage to them, even thou I esp have had years to come to terms with whats going to happen.. It still does not get any easier..

Also Tom has begin to get worse,the last few weeks. With a couple of issues and esp his breathing issues he has. Which is making me feel a bit down, as Tom is stable for sometime. Then he has a big decline with his health... Which is happening at the minute..

I'm doing my very best, comfort Tom. As he's been a tad dwon too, The poor lad.. I try and not get to emtional in front of him.. Don't get me wrong, I do get upset in front of Tom, as I like him to see how i'm coping with things.. As I have a very, very honest approach to his DMD. So he knows its ok to be or feel sad abt things..

Thankfully once I get hold of his Community Outreach Nurse.. Lee is deff a hard guy to get hold off.. He'll bring forwards Tom's sat and Carbon Dioxide testing.

Cause its the most essental to Tom, as been ventalated at night asp. if he needs to be.. As if it's left to late, it can and will make a huge difference to Toms survival rate.

Di,

hugs to both you and Tom.

I just came in here to moan that i feel down, i think it's just that time of the month again. I have no reason to be down. I'm ahead on my coursework, i spent yesterday with my new boyfriend and he cooked for me. I think it's just nuts that i feel down, but now having vented in here i feel better. I hope everyone who is feeling down feels a bit happier soon, i know what it's like to get really low, but you have friends in here, and if you need to talk, feel free to pm me.

Hey rising-flame,

Sometimes there are just days when you are down...I try and cheer myself up whatever way I can, just by calling a friend and talking about nothing for an hour, or sitting down with a bag of chocolates and a movie, when I have those days :)

My problem is: I have a sister who's expecting a baby with a guy that she only knew for about two weeks before she found out she was pregnant. She's six months along and they were pretty happy, both gave up the dope. She's also got an 11-year-old kid who I love like my own son...

And today, the nephew just came up to me and told me about how my sis and her guy were both back on drugs, and they were also selling it to get more money...This hurt me so hard. My sis has been through so much in her life, I thought she was finally on her way up, with a supportive person, a little bubby coming - she's been smiling like I've never seen her. And now she's back on marijuana, she's dealing it - and the worst thing is, she's letting their eleven-year-old child be privy to this information and be weighed down by it. He was born with a brain tumour which they have only quite recently removed, he doesn't need this kind of cr@p.

My sister is way older than me and I know she has to make her own decisions and go through life her own way, but I can't stand seeing the little family go through all this pain...

Sorry for my rave, I just needed to get it all out :)

Hey rising-flame,

Sometimes there are just days when you are down...I try and cheer myself up whatever way I can, just by calling a friend and talking about nothing for an hour, or sitting down with a bag of chocolates and a movie, when I have those days :)

My problem is: I have a sister who's expecting a baby with a guy that she only knew for about two weeks before she found out she was pregnant. She's six months along and they were pretty happy, both gave up the dope. She's also got an 11-year-old kid who I love like my own son...

And today, the nephew just came up to me and told me about how my sis and her guy were both back on drugs, and they were also selling it to get more money...This hurt me so hard. My sis has been through so much in her life, I thought she was finally on her way up, with a supportive person, a little bubby coming - she's been smiling like I've never seen her. And now she's back on marijuana, she's dealing it - and the worst thing is, she's letting their eleven-year-old child be privy to this information and be weighed down by it. He was born with a brain tumour which they have only quite recently removed, he doesn't need this kind of cr@p.

My sister is way older than me and I know she has to make her own decisions and go through life her own way, but I can't stand seeing the little family go through all this pain...

Sorry for my rave, I just needed to get it all out :)

Im not condridicting you but you have nothing to be sorry for!

I know what's it its like to watch your older sister have margunia and she does thart for years, then comes a new bloke and she ends up on the hard stuff although she always promised she would't, go that way.When their are in this state they cant think or dont want tnink of anyone else nd the children suffer.

hi i thought i would post as all my friends and family have been crying for me to get help and ive been doing so the past two days, i have been starving myself for the past two weeks and not drinking aswell and when i do i force myself to throw it back up when my family arent watching and when i went to the doctors i found out ive got anorexia bolemia and my doctor said she will arrange for a counsellor to call me when she can but didn't say anything for me to do in the meantime, could someone please help.

hi i thought i would post as all my friends and family have been crying for me to get help and ive been doing so the past two days, i have been starving myself for the past two weeks and not drinking aswell and when i do i force myself to throw it back up when my family arent watching and when i went to the doctors i found out ive got anorexia bolemia and my doctor said she will arrange for a counsellor to call me when she can but didn't say anything for me to do in the meantime, could someone please help.

I just want to say that i feel for you, it's a terrible situation to be in, but i also know what your going through as last year i had anorexia myself, and i've only just got myself back onto my feet, at least you told your family and friends, i went through it for months before i told anyone as i felt so alone and to ashamed to tell anyone. The thing i did, was after i finally got help, everyday i got up and looked in the mirror, i told myself... I CAN beat this!! I WILL get through it!!!. And eventually i did :)

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get better soon!! :)

I just want to say that i feel for you, it's a terrible situation to be in, but i also know what your going through as last year i had anorexia myself, and i've only just got myself back onto my feet, at least you told your family and friends, i went through it for months before i told anyone as i felt so alone and to ashamed to tell anyone. The thing i did, was after i finally got help, everyday i got up and looked in the mirror, i told myself... I CAN beat this!! I WILL get through it!!!. And eventually i did :)

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get better soon!! :)

hey thanks thats really given me a boost, im really worried im trying my first bit of food today which is toast for my mum as she has been stressing about it so i said i would do it for her :)

hey thanks thats really given me a boost, im really worried im trying my first bit of food today which is toast for my mum as she has been stressing about it so i said i would do it for her :)

No problem :D

Ooooh.... That's great your trying to eat again, but just remember, no one expects you to get it on the first go, and just have like one little bite then forget bout it for a bit, then go back to it when you feel ready. That's what i use to do :)

That's sweet that you said you would do it for her!! :wub:

Best of luck!!!! :D

Much love!

Katie xxx

Archived