The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have that book to read, along with a few others. I have to say I adored My Sister's Keeper and the end was just a punch in the gut. I read that book in 2 days because I could not put the thing down.

I finished reading Chocolat by Joanne Harris yesterday and then watched the movie. How the hell did that movie get to be called Chocolat anyway?!?! They took away most of what was in the book and left a few minor things the same (the names). My favourite characters in the book were Josephine Muscat and Roux but in the film they completely shattered them!

Don't read this rant any further if you plan on reading/watching Chocolat!

Josephine was beaten for years by her husband and resorted to stealing, being called the crazy lady. In the book she slowly turns from a frump to a beautiful and confident lady, who ends up with Roux! She was complex and such a role model for battered women. Yet in the film the complexity of her character was gone and she changed over night. And the worst thing of all was that they robbed me of Josephine/Roux. Which means I was robbed of that sweet Lena Olin/Johnny Depp chemistry that they seem to generate!

Another thing that pissed me off is that they turned the husband into a character looking for redemption, yet in the book he was a nasty piece of work.

Not to mention the priest in the book became the mayor in the film.

*tries to calm down*

Oh you won't be impressed with the My Sister's Keeper film coming out this year then. Apparently, the ending has been changed.

For the Jodi Picoult , Fans like myself

Please read this awesome, article.

I have only posted a summary of the article, as its two pages long

Enjoy, I sure did.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle5959413.ece

Jodi Picoult sells more books in Britain than any other female adult novelist. Her work returns again and again to the same theme: ordinary families torn apart by complex, destructive forces. Yet her own life is nothing like those of her conflicted protagonists, as James Bone discovers when he visits the writer in idyllic New Hampshire

I am completely baffled by the fact that article is dated as new, yet I'm sure I've read it before. I might be going mad. :P Either way, thank you for posting.

It's still so strange that SOTHW was her first published novel, yet it's still to get a physical release here in the UK (I was impatient and ordered mine. 'Tis still my favourite book to date).

Keeping with the JP theme, I restarted COH yesterday and am now completely stuck into it. It's an amazing read so far.

The Catcher In The Rye.

I hated this book when I was made to read it in school a few years ago. I'm not sure why I even chose to read it again, but I found that it just made more sense and I really didn't mind it.

:rolleyes:

I have finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. Astonishing.

That's my favourite book ever. A few weeks after i'd finished it i read it again. It's so beautifully written.

I've just started The Bang Bang Club: The Making of the New South Africa.

I've just finished 'The life you want' by Emily Barr. I adore her novels, probably because they're travel writing with a story, and i'm obsessed with trave :lol:

Archived