The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear, I'm about halfway through now, and so far it's very interesting. I'm looking forward to the classic Picoult twist at the end, assuming there is one, and I'm guessing it has something to do with that monologue that comes up from time to time; the one that sounds like a suicide note.

I have that book to read, along with a few others. I have to say I adored My Sister's Keeper and the end was just a punch in the gut. I read that book in 2 days because I could not put the thing down.

I finished reading Chocolat by Joanne Harris yesterday and then watched the movie. How the hell did that movie get to be called Chocolat anyway?!?! They took away most of what was in the book and left a few minor things the same (the names). My favourite characters in the book were Josephine Muscat and Roux but in the film they completely shattered them!

Don't read this rant any further if you plan on reading/watching Chocolat!

Josephine was beaten for years by her husband and resorted to stealing, being called the crazy lady. In the book she slowly turns from a frump to a beautiful and confident lady, who ends up with Roux! She was complex and such a role model for battered women. Yet in the film the complexity of her character was gone and she changed over night. And the worst thing of all was that they robbed me of Josephine/Roux. Which means I was robbed of that sweet Lena Olin/Johnny Depp chemistry that they seem to generate!

Another thing that pissed me off is that they turned the husband into a character looking for redemption, yet in the book he was a nasty piece of work.

Not to mention the priest in the book became the mayor in the film.

*tries to calm down*

I'm (sort of) reading Jodi Picuoult's "Change Of Heart". Unfortunately, I haven't sat down properly and really got stuck into it, but it is still a brilliant book. Lets face it, whatever book I read next would have a lot to live up to, having read "Songs Of The Humpback Whale" before this and that being my favourite book ever. Totally agree with Jess about the ending of MSK being a punch in the gut. But it wasn't necessaily a bad thing. The book was my favourite, until I got SOTHW, which totally knocked it off the top spot.

I finished 'Dear Fatty', Dawn French's autobiography at the weekend which was very good.

Started reading 'Marley and Me' on Sunday night and got so hooked that I finished it last night (about 6 hours of reading in all) - been meaning to read it for a while, before I even knew the movie was coming out. Fortunately the author was visiting Nottingham last month and I managed to snap up a signed copy :D

Has to be one of the best books I have ever read - and having grown up with a Golden Retriever, I could relate to a lot of what he was talking about (even more so towards the end unfortunately...)

Certainly takes you right to both ends of the spectrum, absolute hilarity to extreme heartache. Lets just say that I'm glad I finished it last night as opposed to tonight when my mate is over....it also made me realise that I cannot go to see it in the cinema as I've been planning for months.....it will certainly be a home viewing..... :P

Archived