Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

12 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

I'm sorry but there is no justifying what was said and I didn't say she needs to go back to Home and Away, just not be rude when asked...because she will be asked

"Successful career" is a matter of personal opinion. Her most recent main staring role show was cancelled after one season of failing viewer ship. Actresses in the US are a dime a dozen so it make sense for Melissa to backtrack and talk about how much she loves her country 

You can't judge her words, without considering the content. If she said it in a completely calm manner without provocation, I might agree. But she was upset because THEY MADE HER UPSET! In light of that, I find it completely understandable. If I was treated as badly as she was, I wouldn't be a nice as she was - I'd be much worse!

It only makes sense for her to talk about Oz in Australia - we are the only ones who would actually care - certainly the US do want to her patriotism for any country other than their own.

Many shows are cancelled after one season - doesn't necessarily make them bad and more to the point doesn't mean the cast did a bad job - could be bad scheduling - eg trying something new against something that's popular and established.

Out of interest - which former H&A Actresses have had the most successful careers post home and away and by what criteria do you judge that?

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

You can't judge her words, without considering the content. If she said it in a completely calm manner without provocation, I might agree. But she was upset because THEY MADE HER UPSET! In light of that, I find it completely understandable. If I was treated as badly as she was, I wouldn't be a nice as she was - I'd be much worse!

It only makes sense for her to talk about Oz in Australia - we are the only ones who would actually care - certainly the US do want to her patriotism for any country other than their own.

Many shows are cancelled after one season - doesn't necessarily make them bad and more to the point doesn't mean the cast did a bad job - could be bad scheduling - eg trying something new against something that's popular and established.

Out of interest - which former H&A Actresses have had the most successful careers post home and away and by what criteria do you judge that?

1- A show is usually cancelled due to failing viewership aka people not interested in watching, regardless of who the actors are.  I specifically stated that..please re-read my post and see below 

http://deadline.com/2016/05/heartbeat-canceled-nbc-one-season-1201755338/

2- I'm not sure why you are getting upset at me, this is a forum where we are all entitled to an opinion. I get it, Melissa is your favourite but that doesn't mean writing in capitals makes your opinion in anyway superior to mine.

3- Not sure how I am judging when I am commenting on the evidence that is present. Being a professional and handling objections is part of being in the public eye. Melissa didn't handle herself in the appropriate manner and I would say this about anybody. A simple "can we discuss home and away another time? I want to focus on the project I'm here to talk about" would've been sufficient.

4- Considering Melissa stated she didn't need approval from her country, the backtracking because she was obligated to go to Australia was rather amusing to see. 

5- I don't know who has had success in Home and Away that is why I posed the question earlier. Melissa has done ok in terms of being a non American working actress in America, she got the lead gig that didn't do well but. Mike from Neighbours has done very well for himself internationally, even picking up an Emmy. 

10 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

Just Melissa George :wink:

And I have no problem with her reading what I've written here :) 

7 minutes ago, Summer's Bay said:

1- A show is usually cancelled due to failing viewership aka people not interested in watching, regardless of who the actors are.  I specifically stated that..please re-read my post and see below 

http://deadline.com/2016/05/heartbeat-canceled-nbc-one-season-1201755338/

2- I'm not sure why you are getting upset at me, this is a forum where we are all entitled to an opinion. I get it, Melissa is your favourite but that doesn't mean writing in capitals makes your opinion in anyway superior to mine.

3- Not sure how I am judging when I am commenting on the evidence that is present. Being a professional and handling objections is part of being in the public eye. Melissa didn't handle herself in the appropriate manner and I would say this about anybody. A simple "can we discuss home and away another time? I want to focus on the project I'm here to talk about" 

4- Considering Melissa stated she didn't need approval from her country, the backtracking because she was obligated to go to Australia was rather amusing to see. 

5- I don't know who has had success in Home and Away that is why I posed the question earlier. Melissa has done ok in terms of being a non American working actress in America, she got the lead gig that didn't do well but. Mike from Neighbours has done very well for himself internationally, even picking up an Emmy. 

And I have no problem with her reading what I've written here :) 

It is interesting how many fans of the show posted in the comments under that article you posted.

Just the first one but if you scroll down there is more "Oh COME on, Heartbeat didn’t get a fair chance! I loved it and it was gaining traction as it went I thought. I adore Melissa George, and her two love interests are both HOT in different ways. I think another station should pick up the show. Come on, please!!! It’s way better than Chicago Med (I love the other Chicago shows but the male docs on Chgo Med are goofy looking!). "

I am not upset at you - yes we are all entitled to our opinion and that means that I am entitled to mine as well. You keep implying that I am wrong, rather than saying you disagree. My opinion is not invalid just because you can't see my view. If I am presenting false facts give correct ones with concrete evidence to back it up.  BTW I'm pretty indifferent to her. I have enough empathy to understand her point of view, and enough critical analytical skills to read news articles for what they are. News articles twist things. Like the "journo" who attended a kid's funeral and quoted the eulogy as if they has interviewed the grieving father. Certainly if you have a link to the actual, complete interview I'd like to see it. Certainly if she snaps at the mere mention of H&A I will stand corrected. If they keep pushing until she snaps however.

I used capitals merely for emphasis - typing has no tone so the reader unable the pick up things they would in speech. I'm sure you've heard the stat that says about 7% of the message heard is the actual words we say. And we can read a quote that seems to mean something entirely different if taken out of context. Reading her quote on it's own seems unreasonable. Seeing the whole interview may show in in a different light. Certainly having read her tweets after make me think there's much more to it. It can also be in their interest to have someone melt down on their show.

I happened to read her IMDB and noticed her listing was more impressive than I thought it would be.

I don't think anyone should have to take crap because they are in the public eye - I'm mindful of the allegations around the #metoo campaign in the entertainment industry where for far too long actresses have been taking it. More actresses need to stand up and say it's not OK!

You say they you don't know who has had success post H&A and yet you think you can say definitively that Melissa hasn't. You can't have it both ways.

I don't know anything about neighbores.

The winky face was to suggest humour, or maybe I am Melissa George - like her name, my username is a girls name then a boys name :ph34r:

53 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

Just the first one but if you scroll down there is more "Oh COME on, Heartbeat didn’t get a fair chance! I loved it and it was gaining traction as it went I thought. I adore Melissa George, and her two love interests are both HOT in different ways. I think another station should pick up the show. Come on, please!!! It’s way better than Chicago Med (I love the other Chicago shows but the male docs on Chgo Med are goofy looking!). "

I am not upset at you - yes we are all entitled to our opinion and that means that I am entitled to mine as well. You keep implying that I am wrong, rather than saying you disagree. My opinion is not invalid just because you can't see my view. If I am presenting false facts give correct ones with concrete evidence to back it up.  BTW I'm pretty indifferent to her. I have enough empathy to understand her point of view, and enough critical analytical skills to read news articles for what they are. News articles twist things. Like the "journo" who attended a kid's funeral and quoted the eulogy as if they has interviewed the grieving father. Certainly if you have a link to the actual, complete interview I'd like to see it. Certainly if she snaps at the mere mention of H&A I will stand corrected. If they keep pushing until she snaps however.

I used capitals merely for emphasis - typing has no tone so the reader unable the pick up things they would in speech. I'm sure you've heard the stat that says about 7% of the message heard is the actual words we say. And we can read a quote that seems to mean something entirely different if taken out of context. Reading her quote on it's own seems unreasonable. Seeing the whole interview may show in in a different light. Certainly having read her tweets after make me think there's much more to it. It can also be in their interest to have someone melt down on their show.

I happened to read her IMDB and noticed her listing was more impressive than I thought it would be.

I don't think anyone should have to take crap because they are in the public eye - I'm mindful of the allegations around the #metoo campaign in the entertainment industry where for far too long actresses have been taking it. More actresses need to stand up and say it's not OK!

You say they you don't know who has had success post H&A and yet you think you can say definitively that Melissa hasn't. You can't have it both ways.

I don't know anything about neighbores.

The winky face was to suggest humour, or maybe I am Melissa George - like her name, my username is a girls name then a boys name :ph34r:

1-How can a show be gaining traction when the numbers show that the viewership was declining? Ultimately, viewership is what matters not how much you or I like the main actor. Ten episodes is more than enough for viewers to decide if they like a show. Some US shows don't even get to ten before they are cancelled. Chicago Meds ratings are roughly 8-9 million each episode. 

2- I'm not seeing where I specifically stated that you are wrong. Please point that out to me. I've clearly stated that I don't think Melissa reacted in the best way in the interview. The first time she was asked about home and away, she could've addressed it and moved on. Maybe this is a learning experience and in future will know how to address the questions. 

3- I didn't say anybody has to take abuse when they are in the public eye but on the flip side when you are in the public eye and have a platform, you can't expect certain behaviours to get a pass. Criticism whether positive or negative comes with the territory. 

Please point out where I said this. In terms of international "success" she is one of the few known actors outside of Home and Away in the US, I actually mentioned this a few pages back when I asked who else has had "success" from Home and Away. As I mentioned above , in terms of a non US actress working in the US, Melissa has done well in terms of staying employed and being in different projects but to be classed as a "success" in the US means continually having a hit show (being the main character) hit song, being number 1 on the charts or in the box office and winning major awards like a Tony, Grammy, Oscar, Emmy. 

1 hour ago, Summer's Bay said:

I've been checking out the Fan fiction section, are there any fan fiction stories about the early years? I hardly recognise any of the characters in the current stories  ?

Yes. There are a couple "prequels" and a few that go WAAAY off track (Mergings of certain Universes with the Summer Bay one)

Love the "Australian" Emoji :lol:

On November 22, 2017 at 21:32, Summer's Bay said:

Found Alex on Instagram. Being followed by Justine so I assume this is a real account 

https://www.instagram.com/alex.papps/

23734527_299231657247533_210651002936334

This might not be Alex Papps because the page has disappeared ?

2 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Yes. There are a couple "prequels" and a few that go WAAAY off track (Mergings of certain Universes with the Summer Bay one)

Love the "Australian" Emoji :lol:

Do you by any chance remember the titles? 

If you're after a fan fiction featuring early characters, might be worth checking out this one. Might also be worth checking the Fan Fiction Index to see if anything catches your attention: There is a Old Characters section in there, but most of them were written by me featuring the late 90s cast...

Archived