Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

I ordered the Home and Away books I mentioned earlier in this thread. Are these books official merchandise from the show?

The Bobby Simpson Story is the prequel to the pilot, so is the Frank story. The Bobby and Frank story is pretty much about her finding out who her parents are. I read a few pages of the end of each and book an in the epilogue of Frank's story, we fast forward to his wedding day to Bobby and it says 

" All the events he'd seen as setbacks had actually been lucky breaks because they'd led him to Summer Bay to here and now, to exchanging vows with a girl he loved like nobody he'd ever met"

Ive said this since I started posting here, Frank Morgan loved Bobby more than he loved Roo but her insecurities and jealously pushed him away and made the choice for him to leave easy.

I look forward to reading these books over the weekend. Does anybody else have reviews on the other books in the series? 

Nicolle and Alex act very well together, I hope we see them again together some time. 

Not to be disrespectful to their partners but I watched one interview where Nicole was talking about Alex/Frank and her face lit up like a Christmas tree. I hope they are still friends.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine so. They had a good chemistry. 

One of fave scenes is early in to the marriage  where Frank and Bobby were making a lot of noise when they lived over the shop trying to put the lightbulb in with Bobby on Frankie's shoulders.... Auntie Celia thought they were loudly Sexing!:lol::lol::lol: Turns out there was screwing afoot, just not the kind Celia imagined!

Talking of relationships, I'm pleased Debra and Dennis are still together after 2 and a half decades. Their chemistry on set could NOT be faked. I've seen some of those early Michael/Pippa scenes where Michael's got that "I'm gonna have her!" look in his eyes and Debra has the "I want him so bad" look in hers. Kind of nice. That was organic.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:49, Summer's Bay said:

Did Sally leave before or after Roo's return? If after, did they have much of a relationship? 

They actually had a bit of a nice character arc during 2013, I thought. They were two characters who'd barely interacted in the 80s and been in different age groups, and things started off a bit tense between them because in a way Sally was the surrogate daughter to Alf that Roo had had difficulty living up to, but gradually they ended up with this nice later-life friendship 25 years after they first met.

15 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

They actually had a bit of a nice character arc during 2013, I thought. They were two characters who'd barely interacted in the 80s and been in different age groups, and things started off a bit tense between them because in a way Sally was the surrogate daughter to Alf that Roo had had difficulty living up to, but gradually they ended up with this nice later-life friendship 25 years after they first met.

I agree, I mentioned the same a little later in this thread after I watched the early scenes of them when Sally returned in 2013

36 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

One of fave scenes is early in to the marriage  where Frank and Bobby were making a lot of noise when they lived over the shop trying to put the lightbulb in with Bobby on Frankie's shoulders.... Auntie Celia thought they were loudly Sexing!:lol::lol::lol: Turns out there was screwing afoot, just not the kind Celia imagined!

Talking of relationships, I'm pleased Debra and Dennis are still together after 2 and a half decades. Their chemistry on set could NOT be faked. I've seen some of those early Michael/Pippa scenes where Michael's got that "I'm gonna have her!" look in his eyes and Debra has the "I want him so bad" look in hers. Kind of nice. That was organic.

I wish they were their own couple/character  in Home and Away as opposed to being Pippa and Michael. 

19 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

She's not painted particular favourable in that article and frankly it's not necessarily in their best interest to do that - controversy sells papers - they have probably made it sound worse than it was. However if you read this https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/melissa-george-had-no-problem-with-talking-about-home-and-away-on-the-jonathan-ross-show/news-story/f72f788cdaf3d4dc7c71a15c763c37c9

There are a number of follow up tweets.

The first implies that the meltdown was after being harassed about H&A rather that respectfully interviewed - if that's the case, then I am empathic

@kateness22 anyone can ask me about the past, I always smiled and spoke about it, of course I am proud. But the today show was mean. I hurt.

— Melissa George (@TheMGeorge) November 11, 2012

She wasn't invited on the show to talk about H&A, she was invited on regarding McHappy day - certainly it's reasonable to talk about the reason you're being interview mainly

It's not that I am forgetting where I came from. It's that I was home to raise money for mchappy day and channel 7 only spoke of H&A.

And this one:

Again, it's not about mentioning the past, it's about ONLY mentioning the past. Like we failed and did SO badly for the past 20 years

All of these are valid and reasonable. Certainly it comes across that in light of these comments she's actually the victim

Which re-inforces my original post on this topic " I think it's more she has done more work since then but she gets cranky about being asked about Angel AGAIN. Rather than she didn't value that time. "

If she was invited on the morning show to reminisce about H&A and did what she did then she was totally wrong. However that was not the case.

20 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

I for one have no interest in anything Melissa does now after her little tantrum and i'm not the only one either you can't treat your fans like crap!

That is you right, but you have missed out, she has done some great work - better in quality than Angel, IMO. She was attacking the press more than her fans and in the context of above - that wasn't an unfounded attack. Certainly some fans feel more entitled than they should.

20 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

You probably know more than me but when I did a quick Google search, several results said Alex got the Logie for Home and Away

But there is a point where past projects are no longer relevant Who dictates this? 

Or do you think I owe maccas something because I spent money I earnt working for them to buy my text books to get a qualification which helped build my career?

In my opinion you do, as insignificant a part they played...you earned money working there. The fact remains is that Home and away gave Melissa the platform and recognition to catapult her into other projects. A wee bit of gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

Usually they it says words to the effect of played Frank Morgan on Logie winning Home and Away. Or Logie winner Alex best know for playing Frank on H&A (which doesn't say that he won the Logie for H&A)

Certainly I think Angel is no longer relevant to Melissa's career - would have been more relevant if her career was in Oz or if she'd done less. My opinion.

I'm sure Angel fans would have felt a bit crapped on by her comments. But I question whether she owes them anything now. She "owes" fans of Melissa, not fans who only love Angel. She's a;ready given them what they deserve.

So when do i stop owing Maccas? When I die? Now that I am working in a different field from my study? When they cut back my hours? When I left? 1 year after leaving? When I'd been gone more time than I stayed? Certainly I would have been more grateful if it had been a scholarship rather than a work obligation. They got their money's worth out of me at the time and didn't give me any more that they had to. By your logic if I had bought drugs with the money I earned they would responsible for my resulting drug problem.

H&A may have helped her get other work or she may have got other work in spite of H&A.

Gratitude is warranted to a degree - I would argue she has given the gratitude that she had owed. She doesn't owe Angel any more

20 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

No i missed it! however to my eyes actors/actresses like Nicolle who are no longer in the limelight probably have more right to RESPECTFULLY ask not to discuss the show

Respect is a 2 way street, and it seems she was shown none in that interview. She had declined talking about Angel and they persisted asking until she has a "meltdown" - there was no respect before she responded.

4 hours ago, harrietjames said:

She's not painted particular favourable in that article and frankly it's not necessarily in their best interest to do that - controversy sells papers - they have probably made it sound worse than it was. However if you read this https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/melissa-george-had-no-problem-with-talking-about-home-and-away-on-the-jonathan-ross-show/news-story/f72f788cdaf3d4dc7c71a15c763c37c9

There are a number of follow up tweets.

The first implies that the meltdown was after being harassed about H&A rather that respectfully interviewed - if that's the case, then I am empathic

@kateness22 anyone can ask me about the past, I always smiled and spoke about it, of course I am proud. But the today show was mean. I hurt.

She wasn't invited on the show to talk about H&A, she was invited on regarding McHappy day - certainly it's reasonable to talk about the reason you're being interview mainly

It's not that I am forgetting where I came from. It's that I was home to raise money for mchappy day and channel 7 only spoke of H&A.

And this one:

Again, it's not about mentioning the past, it's about ONLY mentioning the past. Like we failed and did SO badly for the past 20 years

All of these are valid and reasonable. Certainly it comes across that in light of these comments she's actually the victim

Which re-inforces my original post on this topic " I think it's more she has done more work since then but she gets cranky about being asked about Angel AGAIN. Rather than she didn't value that time. "

If she was invited on the morning show to reminisce about H&A and did what she did then she was totally wrong. However that was not the case.

That is you right, but you have missed out, she has done some great work - better in quality than Angel, IMO. She was attacking the press more than her fans and in the context of above - that wasn't an unfounded attack. Certainly some fans feel more entitled than they should.

Usually they it says words to the effect of played Frank Morgan on Logie winning Home and Away. Or Logie winner Alex best know for playing Frank on H&A (which doesn't say that he won the Logie for H&A)

Certainly I think Angel is no longer relevant to Melissa's career - would have been more relevant if her career was in Oz or if she'd done less. My opinion.

I'm sure Angel fans would have felt a bit crapped on by her comments. But I question whether she owes them anything now. She "owes" fans of Melissa, not fans who only love Angel. She's a;ready given them what they deserve.

So when do i stop owing Maccas? When I die? Now that I am working in a different field from my study? When they cut back my hours? When I left? 1 year after leaving? When I'd been gone more time than I stayed? Certainly I would have been more grateful if it had been a scholarship rather than a work obligation. They got their money's worth out of me at the time and didn't give me any more that they had to. By your logic if I had bought drugs with the money I earned they would responsible for my resulting drug problem.

H&A may have helped her get other work or she may have got other work in spite of H&A.

Gratitude is warranted to a degree - I would argue she has given the gratitude that she had owed. She doesn't owe Angel any more

Respect is a 2 way street, and it seems she was shown none in that interview. She had declined talking about Angel and they persisted asking until she has a "meltdown" - there was no respect before she responded.

Not at all. 

"would argue she has given the gratitude that she had owed. She doesn't owe Angel any more"

Unfortunately, I don't think she gets to dictate this

Maybe if Melissa addressed the question asked, then there wouldn't have been any need for a "meltdown" . The other option is her manager should've told the presenters before hand that she wasn't going to answer any questions about Home and Away

16 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Yes. In some scenes they looked like they really enjoyed kissing each other...or at the very least we're good enough at acting to give that impression

I finished reading the Bobby Story. Wasn't a bad book and if indeed it is an official prequal, it puts some of her history into perspective. Some notes (sorry if any of this is mentioned in any storylines) The timeline is a bit jumpy but 

-Martha Stewart gave her the name Roberta, a name she wanted to give her baby but Alf was set in naming their baby Ruth.

Ruth is two months younger than Bobby 

-Bobby and her parents lived in the city before moving to Summer Bay 

-Bobby's grandparents didn't particularly care for her either because she was trouble (makes sense why she had no emotional attachment to the store )

-Martha knowing Bobby's secret looked out for her the best she could

-Bobby also grew up Alison Patterson(the two often fought...nothing new here), Lance and Martin. Hanging out and getting into trouble a lot with the latter two.

-Lance and Martin are two and three years older than Bobby respectively. 

-Bobby's perfect guy was a dark haired olive complexion Mediterranean looking guy she often dreamed about.

-Celia Stewart has been a sticky beak for many years and a professional funeral attendee.

-Bobby lost her innocence (as the book put it) to 19 year old Josh from Yabbie Creek  who she met one day while he was playing soccer in Summer Bay(As I mentioned earlier, the timeline jumps so I assume Bobby is 13-14 here). According to the book she wanted to be wanted and in the "15 minutes" (yes, this is mentioned in the book) they spent alone, on that first day , Josh told Bobby he loved her and she believed him. Josh didn't call and Bobby didn't see him again until further down the line but she went onto be intimate with any guy who gave her the attention she craved, This makes sense why she was forcing intimacy with Frank, that would've proved he really "liked" her.

-Alison Patterson spread rumors in school that Bobby was "slack tart" and they faught.

-"Hogan" is not Ailsa's real surname 

-Donald Fisher used his influence to prevent people shopping in Ailsa's store when he found out she gave Bobby a part time job

-Ailsa move to Summer Bay two years before the Fletcher's did.

If you are a fan of Bobby Simpson, I highly recommend getting this book. It's a quick read, about 140 pages, I gave a brief outline. I purchased my copy from Amazon, it is used but in good condition. -

Archived