Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

20 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

The Bobby Simpson Story is the prequel to the pilot, so is the Frank story. The Bobby and Frank story is pretty much about her finding out who her parents are. I read a few pages of the end of each and book an in the epilogue of Frank's story, we fast forward to his wedding day to Bobby and it says 

" All the events he'd seen as setbacks had actually been lucky breaks because they'd led him to Summer Bay to here and now, to exchanging vows with a girl he loved like nobody he'd ever met"

Ive said this since I started posting here, Frank Morgan loved Bobby more than he loved Roo but her insecurities and jealously pushed him away and made the choice for him to leave easy.

Having not actually read the book, the quote from the end of Frank's book doesn't convince me he necessarily 'loved' Bobby. It seems like the book is focalised from Frank's perspective and I'm sure he genuinely believed he loved Bobby in the moment. I still don't think the two of them ever reached actual 'love' though - but maybe I'm just cynical.

Perhaps my different perspective is due to discovering Frank and Bobby's storyline after it was already aired. I started watching the show in 1996 so when I saw the repeats I was already aware of how the storyline was going to end. Perhaps this coloured my interpretation while watching...

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spinach said:

Having not actually read the book, the quote from the end of Frank's book doesn't convince me he necessarily 'loved' Bobby. It seems like the book is focalised from Frank's perspective and I'm sure he genuinely believed he loved Bobby in the moment. I still don't think the two of them ever reached actual 'love' though - but maybe I'm just cynical.

Perhaps my different perspective is due to discovering Frank and Bobby's storyline after it was already aired. I started watching the show in 1996 so when I saw the repeats I was already aware of how the storyline was going to end. Perhaps this coloured my interpretation while watching...

Possibly. If you watched Home and Away from the beginning, the seed was already being planted for them together. Comments by Frank, lingering looks between them, Frank wanting to be around Bobby, Frank saying Bobby was the only person he wanted to dance with,  inviting Bobby and not Carly to the cocktail party (even though that would've been something Carly would've wanted) and other things I never noticed until I rewatched Home and Away a few months ago.

Even though  Frank had a strong physical attraction to Roo, his connection to Bobby was much deeper that he mistook those feelings as something else and told Bobby on two occasions that he didn't see her in a romantic way. I assume he started to consciously see Bobby different at the Cocktail party but still didn't know how he felt because he expected to like girls who looked like Roo.

I think Floss's speech in episode 164 hit home on some points . 

I'm inclined to agree with Spinach. Frank probably felt the same at his wedding with Roo. Both times.The novelisation was probably written when those making the show were expecting Frank and Bobby to be the golden couple, rather than their marriage only lasting five minutes.It's hard to say when the show decided to pair up Frank and Bobby, they barely having anything to do with each other in the first few months and there isn't even any suggestion that Bobby likes Frank until about episode 50.

19 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm inclined to agree with Spinach. Frank probably felt the same at his wedding with Roo. Both times.The novelisation was probably written when those making the show were expecting Frank and Bobby to be the golden couple, rather than their marriage only lasting five minutes.It's hard to say when the show decided to pair up Frank and Bobby, they barely having anything to do with each other in the first few months and there isn't even any suggestion that Bobby likes Frank until about episode 50.

I would say the episode where Bobby paints the poster for the dance, they had a 10 second or so moment when they were just looking at each other and Frank commenting on Bobby's hair style were I believe before the episode with Narelle.There was something else before that episode 50 but I can't remember right now. 

You probably know more than me but I very recently rewatched their story and the closeness Frank had to Bobby was on a different level. Frank even said himself that he wanted to be with Bobby when he finally figured it out. I think it got to a point where their storyline was for some reason rushed, maybe Alex already got the job with Flying Drs and the producers wanted to end their storyline before he left? 

I do agree that Frank probably felt the same way about getting married since it is something he really wanted, probably would've felt the same way had it been Narelle . 

17 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Not at all. 

"would argue she has given the gratitude that she had owed. She doesn't owe Angel any more" Unfortunately, I don't think she gets to dictate this

Maybe if Melissa addressed the question asked, then there wouldn't have been any need for a "meltdown" . The other option is her manager should've told the presenters before hand that she wasn't going to answer any questions about Home and Away

But you can't have if both ways - if they are not responsible for a negative choice with money earned, then I owe them nothing for a positive choice I made with money earned. Certainly they would have preferred if I wasn't studying while working for them. It's ridiculous to think that I owe them any gratitude now. Just as it is ridiculous to think she still owes anyone anything. It's not as if she owes them FOREVER... Anyone who thinks she does owe them anything is overly entitled.

I'll be more explicit that it is my opinion -  I don't think Melissa owes Angel (or Angel fans) anything else - any "debt" is paid in full well and truly YEARS ago

No one has a meltdown over one question, they have meltdowns over being hounded about a topic. Certainly that's the way it comes across from the tweets.

8 hours ago, harrietjames said:

But you can't have if both ways - if they are not responsible for a negative choice with money earned, then I owe them nothing for a positive choice I made with money earned. Certainly they would have preferred if I wasn't studying while working for them. It's ridiculous to think that I owe them any gratitude now. Just as it is ridiculous to think she still owes anyone anything. It's not as if she owes them FOREVER... Anyone who thinks she does owe them anything is overly entitled.

I'll be more explicit that it is my opinion -  I don't think Melissa owes Angel (or Angel fans) anything else - any "debt" is paid in full well and truly YEARS ago

No one has a meltdown over one question, they have meltdowns over being hounded about a topic. Certainly that's the way it comes across from the tweets.

I hope the rest of Melissa's acting career is great to the point that she would never ever have to beg for people to talk to her about Home and Away. 

Angel" will follow Melissa for the remainder of her acting career and maybe she should find a way to accept it, answer the questions and move on. Or, her manager should inform all interviewers that Melissa is not answering any more questions about Home and Away

On 11/25/2017 at 06:23, Summer's Bay said:

I hope the rest of Melissa's acting career is great to the point that she would never ever have to beg for people to talk to her about Home and Away. 

Angel" will follow Melissa for the remainder of her acting career and maybe she should find a way to accept it, answer the questions and move on. Or, her manager should inform all interviewers that Melissa is not answering any more questions about Home and Away

She has 51 acting credits according to IMDB over 25 years. Angel was only one of these - a drop in the ocean - insignificant in comparison to all the other roles. Angel was a popular character, thought it seems less popular with the Early Years viewers on here, but was not the star of the show - whereas she has since played lead characters. If her career went bad, talking about home and away wouldn't actually help her. She's be better off to talk about one of the other 50 preferentially. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313534/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Most people watching her being interviewed now days wouldn't care about Angel - they'd care about the current project, it's not as if they can watch Angel on TV anywhere. Fans who only care about Angel really need to get over it. There have been other characters to love since then. If you've only liked Angel It's been more than 20 years - move on.

Any decent interviewer would have sensed she was uncomfortable talking about it and moved on, before the melt down. They should have been upfront and said we're interviewing you about H&A rather than misleading her and asking her on the show about McHappy Day. I think the interviewer was a fault, more than Melissa.

Archived