1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've never been too good with continuity regards to the businesses in Summer Bay - there were always references to Alf having the only store in town, yet at the same time there'd be references to other ones (like the neighbour that came in for change when Maz was working there), plus various scenes showing a row of shops supposedly near Alf's store.

Though we did get that recent (current eps) reference from Duncan about Madge Wilkins having the best chippy around since he was a kid... maybe she ran the Yabbie Creek one in 1995, hence why they went there :wink:

1 hour ago, j.laur5 said:

When was it mention in Pilot?.

Sorry it was episode 1, not the pilot. Ailsa decides to put a cafe in the store and mentions there is a takeaway fish and chips place.

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

Though we did get that recent (current eps) reference from Duncan about Madge Wilkins having the best chippy around since he was a kid... maybe she ran the Yabbie Creek one in 1995, hence why they went there :wink:

That's cool that Madge Wilkins got a mention. Guessing that was a Dan Bennett nod (she got mentioned a lot during his first stint and seemed to disappear with Colleen).

10 hours ago, Dan F said:

They've never been too good with continuity regards to the businesses in Summer Bay

Or maybe they HAVE been accurate, but the businesses often fail after a short time. Given how many characters open businesses - especially limited qualifications to do so, it wouldn't be that surprising...

5 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Or maybe they HAVE been accurate, but the businesses often fail after a short time. Given how many characters open businesses - especially limited qualifications to do so, it wouldn't be that surprising...

Yeah it's not unrealistic to head cannon that. I remember when the Diner first moved to the Pier, I'm sure Irene mentioned the building had previously hosted a number of failed businesses including (if I'm not mistaken) a fish and chip shop!

3 hours ago, beau_t said:

Yeah it's not unrealistic to head cannon that. I remember when the Diner first moved to the Pier, I'm sure Irene mentioned the building had previously hosted a number of failed businesses including (if I'm not mistaken) a fish and chip shop!

I'm sure the film at the location of the now pier diner in the 90s as some sort of fancy restaurant. Think maybe it was Shannon and Lachlan. 

Made it up to 1801, so three episodes behind.I really didn't realise that this visit of Damian's lasted as long as it did, I thought his brief attempt to rekindle things with Selina and announcement that he's going to become a priest were from later stints.It has come out of nowhere somewhat and, while there's a suggestion that he was in denial, Damian's sudden transformation from Marxist ideologue to wannabe priest wasn't entirely convincing.Still, it's been nice to see Michael and Pippa so involved, my memory was that their relationship with Damian was neglected in favour of Irene in his guest stints but so far it hasn't been too bad.

As others have said, it is a real shame that they didn't make Lisa Vicki Baxter, who would have known Dodge even if we never saw them together.The Steven/Kelly/Travis trio (now ensconced in the opening titles so we're pretty sure they're safe) are really coming across well as friends throughout this, with their unquestioning support.Nice to see Sally finally acting like someone with a strong personal connection to Steven as well.Irene demonstrates that she can be a small-minded bully at times (a trait she's never really lost) and the lack of comeback is frustrating, although Don standing by Steven made up for some of his decisions elsewhere.Actually, I was most disappointed by Selina: She says she doesn't want to take sides, but by joining in with the boycott she did exactly that.Shame the scenes leading up to Steven standing down were so farcical, with all the main characters seeming to have a class with Steven every period and Shannon being teleported between the office and the classroom depending on which storyline that scene was dealing with.

All of which is making Irene hard to accept as the voice of reason in the Ross/Stewart feud, especially since she's mostly been making nonsensical platitudes like "They've probably forgotten what it's about". Because the feud is about something, both families have very different perspectives on what the timeshares will mean to them and that's not going to change just because they have dinner together.So far, I think the characterisation has been believable.Alf's flying off the handle to the point of irrationality (what was all that nonsense about complaining about Jack staying at Summer Bay High, as if that somehow proved the Rosses are no good?).Michael is more rational but he's always had a bit of a temper and isn't one to stay calm when he feels he's hard done by.Pippa and Ailsa are less vitriolic but have a stake in what's going on.

I'd forgotten the details of why Don wanted to transfer the students.It makes sense even if it was a bit ruthless.Some nice work on the teen friendships though, with Selina and Shannon both trying to rally around Jack.Interesting performance choice from Isla in the scene where Shannon tells Jack the full story: On paper, the ending reads like two friends joking about their teacher, but instead she delivers it as if Shannon wants Jack to do well for his own sake as well as the school's.And a low key debut for Alex, a bit earlier than expected.Shannon really does have a hard time working out who's the two-dimensional guest villain and who's the trustworthy proto-regular...

Archived