Do you think anyone will make a comeback this year?

Guest Jacklost

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morag's last stint was awful.

She didn't even get proper dialogue - she just said a couple of words here and there. Obviously the writers didn't understand the character or her history. Proof of this is that Morag and Celia barely spoke!

I hope we see her again but are the Stewart family (an original family, might I add!) really a priority for these new-ish writers?

Morag has been bobbing in and out of the show since Jun 1988 so I hope we see her again soon. And anoither guest stint for Celia and Coleen I hope.

I don´t think she was in the show for many years in the 90s until 2002 when she came back. Its the last 10 years where she has been on the show allot

She didn't even get proper dialogue - she just said a couple of words here and there. Obviously the writers didn't understand the character or her history. Proof of this is that Morag and Celia barely spoke!

I hope we see her again but are the Stewart family (an original family, might I add!) really a priority for these new-ish writers?

She was also very carefull and nice which is not usually for her

I really want Morag to come back soon!! Also I want Martha to return. I have always loved Alf and Martha's relationship and it was really sad that Martha departed Summer Bay without saying goodbye to Alf. I really want to see Martha interact with her birth mother, Roo.

It seems that Morag and Celia switched their roles last time. Normally Morag would be the one disapproving Roo's husband for not having prospects and Celia would be a romantic always believing in true love.

It seems that Morag and Celia switched their roles last time. Normally Morag would be the one disapproving Roo's husband for not having prospects and Celia would be a romantic always believing in true love.

Isn´t that exactly how she was after Morag and Collen left?

I'm not sure I agree with much of that.I don't think it's a case of no-one knowing how to write for Morag but with Celia and Colleen back as well she kind of got lost in the mix and there wasn't much effort in characterisation, just Cornelia Frances making the most of the lines she had.I'd also say that Morag's softened a lot since 1988 and would view a potential love match in more than monetary terms these days, whereas Celia did have a bit of a snobbish touch to her and wouldn't be keen on Roo marrying someone with a criminal record.

I would hope that if Morag got brought back as Morag, rather than one of the Stewart sisters, there'd be more focus on her.

I always look forward to a Morag's reappearances. Principally because I'm a really lover of Cornelia Francis. I do think that her appearances need to be brief and with well established reasons for the return.

On the whole I think having characters return is very difficult to do successfully. To be a success a lot of careful groundwork has to be laid. Connections have to be re-established with characters who would have known them or had some connection. Connections have to be made with new characters who would not have known the returning character.

While this is being done current storylines with existing characters who are not involved need to be maintained or recast to involve the returning character in some way.

I think characters associated with Irene would have the most chance of success. Irene is still there and very active in the community. Any return visit either by her own children or those she has taken in would have a better chance of success than some random character from years ago who may have been important in their time on the show but has no easily established connection with the current show.

I think it's important to ask why we would want characters to return. If we see returning characters as a way of pushing aside current characters we don't like and turning back the clock then I can't see the point. The show has grown and developed over the years. It can't go backwards.

If we see returning characters as acquainting new viewers with the history of the show then I think it has real value. Those characters will have grown and developed over their years away from the Bay and that will be interesting in itself.

^I agree. I'd rather Irene's kids come back and for them to focus on Irene's history for a change. I'd love to see either Damien or Selina come back to the show (or both). Not just for a random friendly visit though - there should be a decent character focused storyline involving Irene.

Archived