Diversity

cadyctslover

I'd like to see a gay male on the show, there hasn't really been one and we could see Alf having a hard time with the fact that the man is gay, considering how he grew up and how old fashioned he is, he possibly grew up attending one of those anti-gay churches. It could be Duncan who could return to the bay and have a man with him, or just telling his father he's gay.

I would also like to see a character of another faith, we've had many Christians and Catholics in the show, but, why don't we have a Muslim or Jewish family? It'd be nice to see both cultures in the show.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be remembering it wrong but when Christopher made a pass at Seb, it was Alf that Seb confided in about the whole situation. So making Alf a bigot now would just be wrong... but then I don't think the writers really remember what happened before 2011 *coughPre-Braxtoncough*.

The reason I mention Christopher is that he is the one character who could be re-introduced that would actually make two groups of the H&A fandom happy; a gay character & a link to the past.

As for Charlie... was I the only one who noticed that the actress had more chemistry with females than males? What pissed me off the most was that they basically used her being Ruby's real mother due to rape as a way of writing off her attraction to Joey. Quite sickening really.

That's my memory as well - that Alf was very accepting of Chris. It would be great to see him come back, except of course that we've already got a Chris so it almost certainly won't happen at the moment. They need to do something about the lack of LGBT representation soon, though, because it's just getting silly. Charlie and Joey will have been seven years ago this year, and not a peep since then. Duncan would be an option; maybe Alf wouldn't be bigoted exactly, but would find it harder to deal with being his own son, than Chris who was someone else's.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, interesting.

That was a reaction by Network 7 in 2009 though. Surely since then they've seen the successful introduction of gay characters on shows such as Neighbours? Or are they still terrified of the 'family groups' that will freak out and switch off in their hundreds of thousands?

Whilst there was a reaction, I've always felt the "cut a gay kiss" thing was an urban legend.Given how many times they did kiss on screen, losing just one seems a bit unlikely.And while there was no move to have Charlie in a same sex relationship again, they didn't really pretend it never happened, there were odd references here and there.Still, nothing since and it really does feel like they're still too scared to go there again in a major network show.

5 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

H&A is written by cavemen and women. It is 2016 now, a gay couple in H&A would reflect modern society more rather than a bay full of straight hunks and babes.

I honestly feel one of the reasons is they have all these characters hooking up with each other and if you have a gay character that takes one out of the equation and you know, that actually requires more writing than say the bare minimum where if they don't know what to do with a couple of characters, they just put them together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2016 at 4:22 AM, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

It could be Duncan who could return to the bay and have a man with him, or just telling his father he's gay.

I think Duncan would only do that to **** Alf off, if he's still anything like 2001-04 Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2016 at 7:59 AM, CaptainHulk said:

I think Duncan would only do that to **** Alf off, if he's still anything like 2001-04 Duncan.

I liked that Duncan. He was a bastard and kind of stayed that way. In the end did he really care what he did to Seb?

Archived