Diversity

cadyctslover

5 minutes ago, Jacklost said:

But he looks white to me. Are you telling me he's half Chinese? O.o

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I looked it up, here are some of my sources (1), (2), (3). I know these aren't the most respectable sources, but I don't think they would just lie about his ethnicity either :P 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Therese K said:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I looked it up, here are some of my sources (1), (2), (3). I know these aren't the most respectable sources, but I don't think they would just lie about his ethnicity either :P 

Thanks for the sources! Yeah I highly doubt that websites like daily mail would be able to get away with lying about his ethnicity. And he was interviewed by them too, there's no way it isn't credible.

23 hours ago, Jacklost said:

But he looks white to me. Are you telling me he's half Chinese? O.o

Yeah he's half chinese since his dad is chinese. I personally don't think he looks white tbh. I know a few people who are part chinese, part thai, and part Filipino. Those people I know who are mixed have the same kind of skin tone as James. They don't have white skin, but they don't have brown skin either. They are a bit of a in between. I personally think he is darker compared to a lot of the other characters on the show. Bob Morley who played Drew on Home and Away (and also Bellamy on the 100) is part Filipino. What annoys me about that too is he played a white character on Home and Away. But you know what bothers me even more? The fact that they even had to do that. How would making Drew a POC hurt the show? They could have easily made his mum a POC character. And he wasn't even white passing! I've been watching the show since I was nine and remember thinking that he looked like he wasn't white. He doesn't have dark brown skin but he certainly doesn't have white skin either. He looks mixed. I'm part Maori because my mum is maori but despite being slightly tanned, I'm still a white passing POC. So many people think that because I'm white passing I'm not a POC but being POC isn't about your skin color it's about your ethnicity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2016 at 8:32 PM, Therese K said:

His dad is Chinese :)

But to use a horrible outdated term he is "white passing" and that's all the industry cares about. I sadly think if he had more characteristics from his father's side he wouldn't have the career he does :(

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Any diverse characters need to be well written, characters. Being a minority can't be their whole character.

and they can't be there simply because they add diversity.

^ I'm in two minds. I agree they shouldn't add such characters simply to add diversity, but I do think they should add diversity to the show because they need to.

However the unique ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation shouldn't be the defining feature of these characters.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:04 AM, cadyctslover said:

^ I'm in two minds. I agree they shouldn't add such characters simply to add diversity, but I do think they should add diversity to the show because they need to.

However the unique ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation shouldn't be the defining feature of these characters.

I have thought of this for a while. 

I think Raffy would be an excellent character to have some form of sexual questioning storyline. She is already a great character, who is smart but has constantly been nurtured for and is begininng a rebellion faze as she starts to discover the world herself. She has decent morals, but can put her foot in it as she is book smart but not the most socially smart person. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to vent here but it's just hit me how disgusting it is that there hasn't been at least one single black character in years. I'm sorry. I'm not one for ticking boxes but to deny black actors roles in one of Australia's biggest show is sooooo bad in 2016. There was more diversity in the 90s!!! And more gay characters for that matter. What an earth are the playing at. Come on Home and Away. Get your act together. The arts are meant to challenge, not fall n line with the majority. Just think off all the complaints British shows have had over the years. It hasn't stopped them educating people. 

7 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I'm sorry to vent here but it's just hit me how disgusting it is that there hasn't been at least one single black character in years. I'm sorry. I'm not one for ticking boxes but to deny black actors roles in one of Australia's biggest show is sooooo bad in 2016. There was more diversity in the 90s!!! And more gay characters for that matter. What an earth are the playing at. Come on Home and Away. Get your act together. The arts are meant to challenge, not fall n line with the majority. Just think off all the complaints British shows have had over the years. It hasn't stopped them educating people. 

Having a black character wouldn't be any sort of a stretch these days.  The very conservative church I attend has a number of African families.  It would simply be reflecting Australian society as it is.

Archived