Diversity

cadyctslover

On 26/03/2016 at 2:04 PM, Matt said:

I'd also like to just point out that the last three finales have involved female teachers who have gone crazy and killed people... How does that portray female teachers? I don't think that's just a sexuality issue...

No, but you have to consider that homosexuality is a characteristic of a legally recognised minority. Female teachers don't constitute such a minority - and in any case, we have at least seen more positive depictions of them too in the last seven years.

I don't actually have a problem with villains happening to be gay/lesbian in the context of a show that otherwise serves that minority well - but you can only get away with doing it if you're prepared to depict gay people in a positive light too. If you're not, and Home & Away obviously isn't, then storylines like the Spencer one should be absolutely off the table in my view. It's unforgiveable in this day and age.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, the show hasn't been big on portraying women in a very positive light in recent years either.

Every woman who should have been a strong female role model has been sacriced to pander to the shows obsession with bad boys one way or another.

i think the show has been guilty of any number of 'isms' in recent years, all of which tends to ensure the show will never portray a positive, balanced picture of society.

• 2 months later...

On my phone so having issues tagging. 

Spoiler

The Morgans maybe? Two of the actors are some kind of not-entirely-white. Although the pale, red-headed sister makes me wonder if the characters are supposed to be pure bred Brits so as not to concern anyone. I've still got my fingers very loosely crossed for Brody being gay. Only because he enjoys cooking, and since H&A is stuck in the 50s, that probably means he's a confirmed bachelor. Being stuck in the 50s actually explains Justin's sweet leather jacket too. He'll be singing "Greased Lighting" on the hood of a car with Ash in no time! (Why does that feel like a euphemism... I may have lost my train of thought here...)

Edit: Thanks for the spoiler tag Dan! 

4 hours ago, emmasi said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Morgans maybe? Two of the actors are some kind of not-entirely-white. Although the pale, red-headed sister makes me wonder if the characters are supposed to be pure bred Brits so as not to concern anyone. I've still got my fingers very loosely crossed for Brody being gay. Only because he enjoys cooking, and since H&A is stuck in the 50s, that probably means he's a confirmed bachelor. Being stuck in the 50s actually explains Justin's sweet leather jacket too. He'll be singing "Greased Lighting" on the hood of a car with Ash in no time! (Why does that feel like a euphemism... I may have lost my train of thought here...)

If so that's as bad as people who class Leah as some diversity, i hope that's not what he meant.

Why is so hard for example, to get a Aboriginal or gay character.

On 6/9/2016 at 0:46 PM, dee123 said:

So where's this diversity Dan Bennett said was coming?

I have a feeling that behind-the-scenes resistance to 'diversity' (read: realism) may have been a contributing factor in Dan choosing to leave at the end of last year.

11 hours ago, emmasi said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I too suspect that they could be working towards Brody being gay, or at least that could have been in the works for him initially.

Again perhaps that was the plan, but Network 7 heads decided that it wouldn't be family-friendly :rolleyes: ?

Dan left at the end of 2015, soon after the rumours of an on-screen 'massacre' (around the time they were filming the Caravan Park explosion), and so he probably left just before the introduction of the Morgan family was even filmed.

Perhaps the negative reaction to the idea of a significant cast cull, and internal resistance to introducing a permanent gay character lead to his resignation?

1 hour ago, cadyctslover said:

I have a feeling that behind-the-scenes resistance to 'diversity' (read: realism) may have been a contributing factor in Dan choosing to leave at the end of last year.

Reveal hidden contents

I too suspect that they could be working towards Brody being gay, or at least that could have been in the works for him initially.

Again perhaps that was the plan, but Network 7 heads decided that it wouldn't be family-friendly :rolleyes: ?

Dan left at the end of 2015, soon after the rumours of an on-screen 'massacre' (around the time they were filming the Caravan Park explosion), and so he probably left just before the introduction of the Morgan family was even filmed.

Perhaps the negative reaction to the idea of a significant cast cull, and internal resistance to introducing a permanent gay character lead to his resignation?

I wouldn't be surprised one iota.

14 hours ago, emmasi said:

Hide contents

I feel like you know how much I'd like that last part and are just teasing me.:wub::huh:

I concur though.That probably is what he was referring to.Because heaven forbid we have a gay or disabled character.

On 11/06/2016 at 2:31 AM, ~Lynd~ said:

I feel like you know how much I'd like that last part and are just teasing me.:wub::huh:

I concur though.That probably is what he was referring to.Because heaven forbid we have a gay or disabled character.

Yep and i'm sick of the "small towns don't really have gay, disabled or a vast mix of races" excuse that people (not here) bring up.

1 hour ago, dee123 said:

Yep and i'm sick of the "small towns don't really have gay, disabled or a vast mix of races" excuse that people (not here) bring up.

Especially when I am sure that most small towns don't have such a high proportion of ex-cons. Why are they so afraid of showing diversity when they have no problem with violence or semi-nudity. 

Archived