Diversity

cadyctslover

27 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Especially when I am sure that most small towns don't have such a high proportion of ex-cons. Why are they so afraid of showing diversity when they have no problem with violence or semi-nudity. 

I honestly don't know. The gay thing i'm sure is a 7 directive and has nothing to do with the everyday running of H&A although i have no facts, it just seems to make the most sense because nothing changes despite people off-screen coming and going.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was doing face painting the other day about 20 minutes out of my Summer Bay-esque town (you can literally see it from Summer Bay), and I had to laugh to myself at how much up-close diversity I saw in those kids in just a few hours. It made me think how ridiculous people are when they say there's no multiculturalism outside of the cities. Skin of every colour, parents from Australia, Europe, New Zealand, North America and Asia (they still had their accents). One kid even had a subtle physical disability, which I didn't even realise until her mum told me. So yeah, whatever H&A is supposed to be reflecting, it's not reality.

13 hours ago, emmasi said:

I was doing face painting the other day about 20 minutes out of my Summer Bay-esque town (you can literally see it from Summer Bay), and I had to laugh to myself at how much up-close diversity I saw in those kids in just a few hours. It made me think how ridiculous people are when they say there's no multiculturalism outside of the cities. Skin of every colour, parents from Australia, Europe, New Zealand, North America and Asia (they still had their accents). One kid even had a subtle physical disability, which I didn't even realise until her mum told me. So yeah, whatever H&A is supposed to be reflecting, it's not reality.

It is reality. If it was the 1950's or something.

Summer Bay is a town. It is not a large village, and it is easily accessible from Sydney so there is no excuse not to have some LGBT characters and more multi racial characters. The Ramsay Street soap has managed to introduce several LGBT characters and some multi racial families such as the Kapoors, Nate Kinski, Shay Daeng, and Terese is of Greek heritage. Dan Bennett promised more diversity but it is another case of big on promise, short on delivery.

2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Summer Bay is a town. It is not a large village, and it is easily accessible from Sydney so there is no excuse not to have some LGBT characters and more multi racial characters. The Ramsay Street soap has managed to introduce several LGBT characters and some multi racial families such as the Kapoors, Nate Kinski, Shay Daeng, and Terese is of Greek heritage. Dan Bennett promised more diversity but it is another case of big on promise, short on delivery.

Summer Bay is a town? I have always thought it was a village, and I am sure that it was meant to be a village. Yabbie Creek is meant to be the nearby town, they always needed to go to Yabbie Creek to shop or to get a work.

At least it was like that until around 2010/11. I had a feeling that the producers wanted to make the show more urban to spice it up, with the new sets and the introductions to he gangs. It is long time ago since I have heard they mentioned Yabbie Creek (I am 6 months behind). 

But I think it is a shame that they have dropped the small town/village feeling. 

I'd say that in the early days it was a township, whereas now it's definitely a town. It's hard as they still share a Police force with Yabbie Creek and a hospital with the rest of the Northern Districts (Yabbie Creek/Mangrove River/Reefton Lakes), so I'd say Yabbie Creek is a large town with Summer Bay a small town and the others possibly still townships.

• 2 months later...

I like Home and Away. I've been watching it for years, but man, there is a real lack of diversity. First off, almost every character on the show is white. There is a huge lack of POC representation. I think the only POC characters on the show right now are Leah and VJ (VJ isn't placed by a POC but as VJ's mum is a POC then that would make VJ a POC as well). Also, the guy who plays Justin is a POC but it's still not POC representation because I'm pretty sure that his character is white. I'm actually not entirely sure though because we haven't seen his parents. I can't stress enough how much it grinds my gears when a POC actor (who is obviously freaking POC) plays a white character.  I don't see how it would hurt the show to have a POC actor who plays a POC character. Second off, the show is very heteronormative. I actually forgot who the last LGBT character was. Was the last LGBT characters Joey and Charlie? Like if so, that is so unrealistic!! That storyline happened in 2009. Despite the fact that I watch the show and it's entertaining at times, I also think that it isn't a very accurate portrayal of what it's like in Australia in 2016. I'm not actually Australian so maybe I'm wrong with that but I don't think I am. I don't know, you tell me. Shows like Shortland Street really aren't super amazing or anything, but one thing I have to say is that Shortland Street is much more diverse and has much more representation. (A transgender character, a gay character, a bi character, a samoan character, a few maori characters, a muslim character). Shortland Street is by no means a perfect show but they try to reflect the reality of New Zealand life in 2016. (Obviously a lot of the things that happen aren't realistic lol but I feel that the representation is realistic). Like I just really wish there was more representation on Home and Away. 

7 hours ago, fangirloverload101 said:

I like Home and Away. I've been watching it for years, but man, there is a real lack of diversity. First off, almost every character on the show is white. There is a huge lack of POC representation. I think the only POC characters on the show right now are Leah and VJ (VJ isn't placed by a POC but as VJ's mum is a POC then that would make VJ a POC as well). Also, the guy who plays Justin is a POC but it's still not POC representation because I'm pretty sure that his character is white. I'm actually not entirely sure though because we haven't seen his parents. I can't stress enough how much it grinds my gears when a POC actor (who is obviously freaking POC) plays a white character.  I don't see how it would hurt the show to have a POC actor who plays a POC character. Second off, the show is very heteronormative. I actually forgot who the last LGBT character was. Was the last LGBT characters Joey and Charlie? Like if so, that is so unrealistic!! That storyline happened in 2009. Despite the fact that I watch the show and it's entertaining at times, I also think that it isn't a very accurate portrayal of what it's like in Australia in 2016. I'm not actually Australian so maybe I'm wrong with that but I don't think I am. I don't know, you tell me. Shows like Shortland Street really aren't super amazing or anything, but one thing I have to say is that Shortland Street is much more diverse and has much more representation. (A transgender character, a gay character, a bi character, a samoan character, a few maori characters, a muslim character). Shortland Street is by no means a perfect show but they try to reflect the reality of New Zealand life in 2016. (Obviously a lot of the things that happen aren't realistic lol but I feel that the representation is realistic). Like I just really wish there was more representation on Home and Away. 

How is James Stewart a POC?

Archived