Diversity

cadyctslover

I'm one for not having diversity just for the "sake of it" or to be politically correct, but even I know H&A is obviously avoiding it and has been for many years; the few times they have even touched on any gay/bi characters they have been short-lived; the short-lived Charlie/Joey story where Joey went off on a boat (apparently to return in 6 months then got "lost at sea" to never be mentioned again), the only other remote hint was reasonably recently where Olivia had that obsessed girl with her at school (forget her name!?), I may be wrong, but I think she tried to kiss Olivia at one stage!?

Other stuff that comes to mind as has been mentioned already was Elijah being written out, only other POC I can recall was I think Jay(?) who Miles brought in from somewhere, but he didn't stick around too long.

Oh also....... I remember Gena's son who was a guest in the show a couple times who had down syndrome I think? I really wish he would have become a regular character or at least appeared more often.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Brendan Austin was autistic.He definitely didn't have down syndrome.

Seb Miller was the only permanent character to have a disability if I remember correctly but he was carted off pretty soon after.

The only other instance I can remember where they've had any permanent disability representation was a guy called Mike or Mikey?I can't really remember much about him but he was a student.I think he might have had autism to.He was a guest to though.

1 hour ago, ~Lynd~ said:

Seb Miller was the only permanent character to have a disability if I remember correctly but he was carted off pretty soon after.

It was literally his exit storyline, he left the week after the accident.

1 hour ago, ~Lynd~ said:

The only other instance I can remember where they've had any permanent disability representation was a guy called Mike or Mikey?I can't really remember much about him but he was a student.I think he might have had autism to.He was a guest to though.

http://www.backtothebay.net/characters/mikey-dunn/

A great character, but the Script Producer herself actually told me what went down - "I did introduce an autistic regular character in Mikey but was asked to take him out as he made some of the suits uncomfortable. The audience had no problem – the executives did."

4 hours ago, Dan F said:

A great character, but the Script Producer herself actually told me what went down - "I did introduce an autistic regular character in Mikey but was asked to take him out as he made some of the suits uncomfortable. The audience had no problem – the executives did."

Interesting.  The point I take out of that is that the "hate" we read in some of these threads against individuals like Louise Bowes or Lucy Addario may not be entirely justified.  At times they may be directed by the "suits" who are their masters.

6 hours ago, Dan F said:

That's pretty pathetic. I assume the 'suits' are mostly not creative and just deal with commercial TV as a business and the corporate world is littered with inflated egos, ignorance and arrogance (Imo) so it's not surprising really. They were obviously out of tune with what viewers actually wanted to see.

16 hours ago, Dan F said:

Oh wow, very interesting but very very pathetic on their part.

On 08/19/2017 at 3:59 AM, Dan F said:

Wow this is a shocker!!! Quite enraged but not surprised by TPTB at Channel Seven's disinterest in multi-layered, third dimensional characters and storylines.

I remember Mikey Dunn as it was great to have an actual character that represented those (including me) who are autistic.

So, the thing I've been thinking about is, Australia (in a colossal waste of money) is having a postal vote (*cough*survey*cough*) about the legalisation of same sex marriage. Now, even though this is not a politically binding vote, at some point the law will change. My question is, given the landscape of Australian law is actually going to be different (whether that is next month, next year, whenever) at what point does H&A have to change too? Surely, at some point they will need to reflect the zeitgeist of Australia, and that includes same sex couples being afforded the same rights as straight couples. H&A can not continue to live in its hetero-normative-bubble, whilst also spouting that it constantly evolves and changes with the country. 

The reason why the show has lasted so long is, I believe, that it does reflect to some extent, the tone and focus of the nation. And I think it would be naive of TPTB to think that they can continue to ignore that same sex couples exist. Now, I know, the way in which we consume media has changed. Most YAs are binge-watching shows in Netflix or YouTube, and very rarely sit down in front of the tv to watch a show live, let alone 4 nights of scheduled viewing. But, there are still families who watch the show together. Young kids who are watching with their parents, because they still control the remote, and to see themselves reflected in the show they watch is so important. Representation of diversity on any level is so crucial to keeping the show interesting and evolving, and in a way competing with the shows being produced for the digital space.

I watched H&A regularly as a teenager and every morning I would get on the bus and me and my friend would talk about the previous nights' episode for the entire 20 minute ride to school. I wonder want kind of conversations could be had if the show reflected a little more diversity, and therefore, a more tolerant Summer Bay.

Archived