Diversity

cadyctslover

Charlie was gay. Oh, you mean you forgot about that. Don't worry, so did she.

Nothing could sum up that storyline better.

As for aaron Brennan, I'm excited to see how he interacts with his siblings, but I'm disappointed they didn't bring in a female homosexual character.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing could sum up that storyline better.

As for aaron Brennan, I'm excited to see how he interacts with his siblings, but I'm disappointed they didn't bring in a female homosexual character.

Sorry to go off-topic, but what?? I don't follow Neighbours spoilers, so is this something I've missed or something that's coming up? And if it is a spoiler, perhaps a mod could tag it as such. But very interesting!

Regarding Nate (Neighbours) I think he's a good example of what not to do. I don't know why he was hired, but he seemed like he couldn't act at all when he first arrived. He's gotten better as time has gone on, so maybe he's just a great person in real life and they wanted to give him a chance. I still don't like his character much, but I no longer feel like he was cast as the token black guy. What I would like to see is some exploration of how his being gay might conflict with his Indigenous culture, if indeed he is in touch with that culture, because that is something that hasn't been mentioned. I don't need a whole "after school special" about it, but it might be interesting to meet someone from his family, for instance.

Back to Home and Away. I live pretty close to Palm Beach and I do have to say we don't have a lot of people here with obvious physical racial differences, but they do exist (shocker!). I actually think having the occasional non-white character covers it pretty well, if we're going on real world percentages. But I think it's very important to cast good actors, not just politically correct skin tones. Two of my favourite characters a few years back were Jai and Elijah (both of whom unfortunately disappeared without a trace...) and it wasn't because of what they looked like. (Well, it was a bit, but I'm only human...). I guess it WOULD be better to have more than two people in the last ten years that I can point to as any kind of example of non-white characters (I think there were a few actors who weren't entirely white, but the characters seemed to be based on the way their families were cast, so I don't know if that counts).

But then, I say "white" as if that's ONE race or culture. It is not. There are a quite a few people here from other countries who still have their native accents, so I'm glad Nate (Home and Away) is there to represent that. To me multiculturalism isn't about what you look like, it's about your CULTURE. You can look like someone else but come from completely different backgrounds in terms of geography, language, beliefs, values, etc.They have used Leah to great effect in the past in representing Greek culture, but that seems to have died off a bit lately. A few more characters like that, who are of European descent but are culturally diverse, wouldn't go astray.

I do know quite a lot of gay and bisexual people that live around here, so I don't understand why that is so underrepresented if they're trying to make it seem like a typical coastal town. Neighbours has been fantastic about that over the past five years or so. They made a clumsy "shock lesbian kiss!" storyline a long time ago, and Home and Away matched it with their own (see: Charlie), but where Neighbours learned from their mistake and evolved, Home and Away seems to be stuck in the mindset of "We GAVE you a lesbian kiss and you didn't like it! Why would we ever do something like that again???" Well, because you did it WRONG last time, and we want you to do it RIGHT. It's a very sad fact that the best representation of a homosexual relationship Home and Away has ever done was between two serial-killing bisexuals (which we only ever learned about in flashbacks after one of them was dead!). I mean seriously, it cannot be that hard. Home and Away does whatever Neighbours does anyway, and vice versa. They've already mapped it out for you, so just copy it and move on. Maybe even bring back Bobby Morely as a gay version of Drew to really confuse the hell out of everyone.

Sorry to go off-topic, but what?? I don't follow Neighbours spoilers, so is this something I've missed or something that's coming up? And if it is a spoiler, perhaps a mod could tag it as such. But very interesting!

I think it's something that's coming up (Has the character even appeared on screen, even at Oz pace?We're two weeks behind here and he definitely hasn't). So yep, spoilers people!

(And the similarity with the Braxtons, despite what the Neighbours producers are trying to make out, doesn't really stretch beyond "they're brothers, their name is vaguely similar and they never have their shirts on.")

Yes I can't see any relation between the Brennans and Braxtons. Didn't even notice the similar names to be honest. I've always thought of the Braxtons as the flipside to the Holdens,with Brax taking on the father role. So I guess if anything the Brennans are like the Holdens (cop and all). Anyway no, the third brother hasn't arrived yet. I very much hope he looks like his brothers :D

Racial and sexuality representation seem to be the most in demand but I'd like to see a regular character with a disability.They've made most of the few guest characters they've had with a disability be defined by it but I'd like if it was only part of their character.

Racial and sexuality representation seem to be the most in demand but I'd like to see a regular character with a disability.They've made most of the few guest characters they've had with a disability be defined by it but I'd like if it was only part of their character.

I always thought it would have been interesting if Hannah hadn't regained function in her legs - most of the time in shows when characters are in an accident, they recover within a few weeks. The only show I have ever watched where they had the guts to keep their character paralysed was Byker Grove (this is probably showing my age lol).

I always thought it would have been interesting if Hannah hadn't regained function in her legs - most of the time in shows when characters are in an accident, they recover within a few weeks. The only show I have ever watched where they had the guts to keep their character paralysed was Byker Grove (this is probably showing my age lol).

Yeah.I wasn't a fan of that storyline.Being in a wheelchair myself I just roll my eyes most of the time when they do them because you know the person involved will be fine in a matter of weeks.There's no sense of realism to it because heaven forbid we have a regular character with any sort of disability for more then 5 minutes..Even Seb was carted off soon after ending up in a chair if I remember correctly.

WOW. So Neighbours actually made one of the Brennan boys gay. I think there was more of a chance of me being crowned King Of England than one of the Braxtons being gay. I still don't get why H&A haven't introduced at least 1 gay character yet. At this point there really is no excuse anymore.

LOL. It's funny 'cause it's true.

Yes I can't see any relation between the Brennans and Braxtons. Didn't even notice the similar names to be honest. I've always thought of the Braxtons as the flipside to the Holdens,with Brax taking on the father role. So I guess if anything the Brennans are like the Holdens (cop and all). Anyway no, the third brother hasn't arrived yet. I very much hope he looks like his brothers :D

I think it's something that's coming up (Has the character even appeared on screen, even at Oz pace?We're two weeks behind here and he definitely hasn't). So yep, spoilers people!

(And the similarity with the Braxtons, despite what the Neighbours producers are trying to make out, doesn't really stretch beyond "they're brothers, their name is vaguely similar and they never have their shirts on.")

They don't seem to be hearing you.There are pictures of the 3 of them on a beach :D

Archived