Lost Your Mind Trying To Get It Back (by Jen) - comments

JosieTash

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew Thanks Jen I have loosen my grip of my socks now. Been like it for a week. waiting for you to tell me when to let go :D

That was quite a emotional chapter I thought glad Dex had April there for him. I hope he does sort stuff out with Casey may take some doing through.

My heart did actually break then for my poor Dex! :( but at least April managed to break through his natural reaction which is to put his defences up and provoke a response even if it was just an emotional response.

I loved the chapter and it was well written as usual Jen :)

Looking forward to more :)

The way you describe things is just ,,,,,, soooooooooooo ACE !!!!! LOOOOOOOOVED that, especially …..

 Dex is running, taking shallow, erratic breaths, feet tripping over the uneven slabs and he staggers, trying to regain his footing. He runs, now reaching the outskirts of town, the opposite direction of the farm, just wanting to put as much distance between himself and Casey as possible. At just the thought of him, Dex’s scar seems to seer. Tears prickle in his eyes and Dex scrubs roughly at his face with his fists.

He’s still running, until his foot catches on something and he goes sprawling on the bitumen.

On instinct Dex slams his hands out in front of him, stopping himself from face-planting into the cement, but a stab of pain shoots up from his palms to his wrists on impact. Dex’s breathing is short and sharp, tears now streaming down his face as he tries to pull himself together, but he’s exhausted. His wrist hurts from where he landed on it, his mind is drumming against his skull and Dex just gives up. He pulls his knees to his chest, and falls apart on the side of the road

 All Dex knows now, is that he can’t go back. He won’t, because if he has to see Casey again he will, he’ll -- he doesn’t know what he’ll do -- probably stop breathing entirely.

Dex doesn’t know how long he stays there. The ground is hard and rough, his hands are cut up, the knees of his jeans spotted with blood, but Dex doesn’t move -- it’s like he’s forgotten how.

 He doesn’t say anything as she cautiously steps into the room and closes the door behind her. She crosses the room and sits on the edge of Dex’s bed, reaching out she puts her hand under Dex’s pillow and threads her fingers through his.

“Dex,” April says, soft and sad, and Dex can feel the tears welling up behind his eyes. The room is beginning to go blurry and Dex blinks, feeling a tear escape, running down his cheek. “Oh, Dex.”

And that is when Dex finally breaks. He sits up and April pulls him into a hug, and Dex clings to her shoulders, tugging her body close. It’s warm and solid and feels so good, comfortable, that Dex cries even harder.

Dex tries his hardest to just turn his head and bury himself in April’s neck. He’s fisting at April’s cardigan and pushing his face into her shoulder, but April is strong, and she grips on to Dex just as tight, refusing to let him go, refusing to let him forget.

 Finally Dex pulls away, using his hands to haphazardly wipe at his face, dry the last of his tears before finally catching April’s eye. It looks like she’s been crying too. Her eyes are red-rimmed and she’s sniffling a bit as Dex crosses his legs and sits up on the bed. April kicks her feet up too and sits opposite. She reaches out and takes his hands, intertwining their fingers, and this Dex thinks, is what it’s supposed to feel like.

April doesn’t ask him to talk about it. She doesn’t want details or even vague assurance that Dex’s memory is actually all intact. She just nods understandably when Dex opens his mouth to talk, her way of saying, ‘I know’..

HighwayUnicorn - Thanks again. (I actually didn't realise it was you, Carina, what with the name change and different avatar and signature, until after you posted that!)

elikell - "It's just so true to character." I think that's the biggest compliment you can give a fanfic writer; that the words and actions you write for a character actually fit and seem realistic. Thank you!

Red Ranger - Although Dex has been feeling pretty lonely through all of this, he definitely isn't alone.

pembie - Ha! Well, I'm sure you're much more comfortable now :P.

Zetti - That's what I really like about the April/Dex relationship on the show; they understand each other in a way no one else does. April knows when Dex is lying or not coping, and also knows how to try to make it better.

JosieTash - :D Thanks!

MatildaHunterFan - Wow, thank you so much.

Weekly installment coming right up.

While I adore your chapters and your pairing of Dex/Casey and their characterisations...I would hope that Casey tries to atone for his actions because there has to be a considerable amount of remorse before Dex can move on from it because it was a traumatic experience and it may take him a while to trust him again and even then it is not going to be same again..but I do love the pairing but for it to be real in my eyes, there has be some sort of atonement...if that makes sense?

Anyways looking forward to more Jen :)