Which characters have been un/successfully recast?

Guest matty

It was only a small part, but I thought a horrible recast was Scott Phillips. The original Scott was awesome. He seemed genuinely psychotic, like the smallest thing could set him off. He wasn't much bigger than his on screen brother Kane, but you could totally buy him as a bullying / abusive older brother because he seemed so crazy. Then they brought him back a couple of years later recasted. The new guy was just terrible. He was physically large and towered over Kane, but he wasn't intimidating in the slightest. The actor was just awful. I recall that the original plan was to have this new Scott lead the 2004 siege instead of Sarah Lewis. Thank god they didn't go through with that, because the new Scott would have totally butchered it.

I thought Flynn was a dubious recast, simply because they had to completely change the character to make the recast work. Original Flynn was a Kombi van driving, pot smoking (o.k they didn't go there on the show, but read between the lines), liberal hippie counsellor, while the new Flynn was basically a humourless, straight as an aarow doctor.

Hayley was a good recast, but it was pretty pointless considering she left in a few months anyway.

Definitely the best recast was Nathalie Nash.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Flynn was a dubious recast, simply because they had to completely change the character to make the recast work. Original Flynn was a Kombi van driving, pot smoking (o.k they didn't go there on the show, but read between the lines), liberal hippie counsellor, while the new Flynn was basically a humourless, straight as an aarow doctor.

I completely agree with you in the differences between the two Flynns, but I disagree that they changed the character to fit the actor. It was more of a gradual change like when Debra Lawrence took over as Pippa. She gradually made the role her own. If you watch early episodes of Joel McIlroy as Flynn, he is very different than he is later on, and much closer to Martin Dingle Wall's portrayal.

• 1 year later...

To be honest I didn't really notice the recast of Ailsa because I hadn't been watching the show for all the long. I did notice the recast of Flynn though and at first I didn't like Joel Mcilroy as the new Flynn, but as time went on I gradually warmed to him and even found myself crying over his death. I also noticed the recast of Hayley, however I thought that Hayley#2 was better then Hayley#1.

I liked the recast of Flynn. It worked well in my opinion. The recast of Dexter was perfect as well and I couldn't imagine anyone else apart from Charles playing his role.

I thought the recast of Hayley was a disappointment. I think Ella Scott Lynch was a better actress than Bec Cartwright, but we were so used to Bec playing the role and as a result, we never got used to Ella Scott Lynch playing the role.

I think Debra Lawerence playing the role of Pippa, made her character much more significant. Nothing against Vanessa Downing, but I don't think she could return in the role ever again.

It was only a small part, but I thought a horrible recast was Scott Phillips. The original Scott was awesome. He seemed genuinely psychotic, like the smallest thing could set him off. He wasn't much bigger than his on screen brother Kane, but you could totally buy him as a bullying / abusive older brother because he seemed so crazy. Then they brought him back a couple of years later recasted. The new guy was just terrible. He was physically large and towered over Kane, but he wasn't intimidating in the slightest. The actor was just awful. I recall that the original plan was to have this new Scott lead the 2004 siege instead of Sarah Lewis. Thank god they didn't go through with that, because the new Scott would have totally butchered it.

I totally agree with you. The first Scott Phillips was crazy and borderline psychotic. Nathaniel Dean who played the role of Scott originally was excellent in the role. I've noticed over the years that Nathaniel tends to play a lot of villainous characters. The second one was physically bigger than Kane, but he almost came across as comical and too nice :lol:

I never knew that Scott was going to be the original perpetrator of terrorising the Bay back in 2004. It wouldn't have worked with the second one, but the first one would have been superb.

It was a shame that Scott's character wasn't explored more deeply, despite the references Kane made about him throughout his tenure on the show.

Pippa for one, largely due to the realstic chemistry between Debra and Dennis. I had started watching a year or two into Debra's run.

Charles Cottier is the much better Dexter hands down.

It took me a year to warm to Joel McIlroy with Flynn but I gradually accepted him.

Belinda Emmett was the Rebecca I came to accept.

Jacqui Phillips played alkie Irene convincingly, but Lynne McGranger was more believable as trying to change.

Now the other side of the coin

Nancye Hayes, no disrespect was an awful Ailsa

Mitchell McMahon just wasn't... Mitch.

And I wasn't too crazy about Ella Scott Lynch as Hayley

Archived