Which characters have been un/successfully recast?

Guest matty

How would you rate these characters in terms of their recasting? Which ones have been successful, and which ones haven't?

1. Selina Cook.

2. Rebecca Fisher.

3. Pippa Fletcher.

4. Mitch McColl.

5. Rachel McGregor.

6. Irene Roberts.

7. Flynn Saunders.

8. Hayley Smith.

9. Barbara Fisher.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would you rate these characters in terms of their recasting? Which ones have been successful, and which ones haven't?

1. Selina Cook.

2. Rebecca Fisher.

3. Pippa Fletcher.

4. Mitch McColl.

5. Rachel McGregor.

6. Irene Roberts.

7. Flynn Saunders.

8. Hayley Smith.

9. Barbara Fisher.

I would love to see Pippa, Hayley, Rachel and Mitch return to the Bay again,

They are all great characters, and I miss them.

I liked the original Selina.

I liked both Flynns, but I thought the second Flynn was more likely as a husband for Sally, they fitted better. And I liked both Pippas too.

I didn't like either of the Hayleys, but the blonde one was more annoying.

I didn't realise Irene had ever been recast! :lol:

I don't remember the other characters.

I think Mitch, Selina and Ailsa were less recasts and more temporary things due to illness, though FakeMitch was really quite smarmy and dislikable, though it might be because his entire time on the show was spent chasing after Hayley, and so are in some ways live by the sword of the storyline at the time. I know the 1996 Barbara is probably harmed by the completely ridiculous storyline she was given.

Natalie Nash#2 was certainly an improvement though.

I'm a fan of recasts as I think in terms of storylines the character is more important then who is portraying them. I remember when Delta Goodrem got sick and quit Neighbours I thought they handled Nina's sudden departure horribly and it was very out of character for her.

When Nancy Hayes played Ailsa, although I think a recast was necessary I feel that they made the wrong choice as to who played her. I thought replacement Mitch was :wub: and Louise(?) did a terrific job of filling in as Selina.

I'm generally not a fan of recasts because I tend to think the actor plays an enormous part in the we perceive the character. However recasts can and do work depending on the character.

In regards to the recast of Ailsa for those couple of months, I thought it was really unfortunate that the one time she needs to be recast, Ailsa is right slap bang in the middle of a huge storyline harking way back to the past. I would have loved to see Judy Nunn playing out that storyline and going back to her (Ailsa's) childhood home where she murdered her dad. So that was a shame, but obviously the recast was a must at that stage.

I agree with Ryan, Nat Nash #2 was definitely a good move. Sometimes recasts work too if the replacement actor has better or just as good onscreen chemistry. This was the case with Nat, Pippa, Flynn, Roo, Irene etc I dont think many recasts in Home and Away have been disastrous come to think of it, but that's probably because they dont over do it. There are certain (most) characters like Colleen, Alf, Sally, Maz, Fisher, Lance, Angel etc they just couldn't recast Imo

Archived