Which characters have been un/successfully recast?

Guest matty

Recasts totally undermine a show's credibility for me. They also imply that a character's success has nothing to do with the actor who played them, which is a) usually untrue and b) vaguely insulting.

I will confess to a giggle at Brain Tumor Alf being the only one to notice Flynn's new head.

When Sally came back from holiday with the new Flynn someone commented that with the rest he looked like a new man! Lol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its perhaps clouded by the fact that Judy Nunn played Ailsa for 13 years and Nancye Hayes about 13 days.

True - but it was such unfortunate timing really - they had the whole Shauna storyline and Ailsa revisiting her family home, then to top it all off they had Sally's wedding with all these past cast members returning and Ailsa marching over to Pippa, hugging her and saying "Welcome home Pippa, we've missed you!" and the only response it generating in me, not one of agreement as it should have, but me wanting Pippa to say "Sorry, who are you?"

I think its perhaps clouded by the fact that Judy Nunn played Ailsa for 13 years and Nancye Hayes about 13 days.

True - but it was such unfortunate timing really - they had the whole Shauna storyline and Ailsa revisiting her family home, then to top it all off they had Sally's wedding with all these past cast members returning and Ailsa marching over to Pippa, hugging her and saying "Welcome home Pippa, we've missed you!" and the only response it generating in me, not one of agreement as it should have, but me wanting Pippa to say "Sorry, who are you?"

Yeah, rround the time of Ailsa's most powerful storyline yet, poor judy couldn't be there and make the performance of her life because she was sick. Which reminds me, does anyone else think that her death could've been more emotional, showing everyone sying goodbye at her bedside (much like the car accident)?

Yeah, rround the time of Ailsa's most powerful storyline yet, poor judy couldn't be there and make the performance of her life because she was sick. Which reminds me, does anyone else think that her death could've been more emotional, showing everyone sying goodbye at her bedside (much like the car accident)?

Yes, it could have been much like Bobby's death in that respect. Or at the very least Shane's (where we got to see everybody in town receiving the news). By the time the show returned in 2001 it was her funeral, and no-one except her close family seemed to care that Ailsa had died, all the characters had moved on.

No, it's about 110 more episodes before the change and I think it's as blunt as one day she's VD and the following day she's DL. Don't quite remember what the storylines are around the time though. There are some scenes early in DL's time where you can see it was written more for VD.

I'm sure Pippa goes to visit her dad and then when she comes back she is DL. Though I could be totally wrong. As far as I can remember the first time we see her she walks into Summer Bay house with a shopping basket? I could be way off but I haven't seen that episode since 1990.

I'm sure Pippa goes to visit her dad and then when she comes back she is DL. Though I could be totally wrong. As far as I can remember the first time we see her she walks into Summer Bay house with a shopping basket? I could be way off but I haven't seen that episode since 1990.

I remember it being like Ryan says - one day she is VD, the next she is DL.

My first real memory of DL as Pippa is a scene outside a caravan with Jane (a policewoman) who was staying there. She tells Pippa how sorry she was to hear about Tom and I remember not really liking Pippa's reaction, brushing it off as if it was nothing. Of course i was not used to DL's portrayal at that time and was probably reading her all wrong.

Yeah I didn't think she had been away as in absent from the show but for some reason I've been convinced she comes back from visiting Bert as DL. I'm probably getting it mixed up with a storyline that might happen shortly after. Looking forward to watching it all unfold.

Archived