Which characters have been un/successfully recast?

Guest matty

It was only a small part, but I thought a horrible recast was Scott Phillips. The original Scott was awesome. He seemed genuinely psychotic, like the smallest thing could set him off. He wasn't much bigger than his on screen brother Kane, but you could totally buy him as a bullying / abusive older brother because he seemed so crazy. Then they brought him back a couple of years later recasted. The new guy was just terrible. He was physically large and towered over Kane, but he wasn't intimidating in the slightest. The actor was just awful. I recall that the original plan was to have this new Scott lead the 2004 siege instead of Sarah Lewis. Thank god they didn't go through with that, because the new Scott would have totally butchered it.

I totally agree with you. The first Scott Phillips was crazy and borderline psychotic. Nathaniel Dean who played the role of Scott originally was excellent in the role. I've noticed over the years that Nathaniel tends to play a lot of villainous characters. The second one was physically bigger than Kane, but he almost came across as comical and too nice :lol:

I never knew that Scott was going to be the original perpetrator of terrorising the Bay back in 2004. It wouldn't have worked with the second one, but the first one would have been superb.

It was a shame that Scott's character wasn't explored more deeply, despite the references Kane made about him throughout his tenure on the show.

Just some info incase you didn't know. The second actor to play Scott was in it in 1997 as Selena's brother.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a small part, but I thought a horrible recast was Scott Phillips. The original Scott was awesome. He seemed genuinely psychotic, like the smallest thing could set him off. He wasn't much bigger than his on screen brother Kane, but you could totally buy him as a bullying / abusive older brother because he seemed so crazy. Then they brought him back a couple of years later recasted. The new guy was just terrible. He was physically large and towered over Kane, but he wasn't intimidating in the slightest. The actor was just awful. I recall that the original plan was to have this new Scott lead the 2004 siege instead of Sarah Lewis. Thank god they didn't go through with that, because the new Scott would have totally butchered it.

I totally agree with you. The first Scott Phillips was crazy and borderline psychotic. Nathaniel Dean who played the role of Scott originally was excellent in the role. I've noticed over the years that Nathaniel tends to play a lot of villainous characters. The second one was physically bigger than Kane, but he almost came across as comical and too nice :lol:

I never knew that Scott was going to be the original perpetrator of terrorising the Bay back in 2004. It wouldn't have worked with the second one, but the first one would have been superb.

It was a shame that Scott's character wasn't explored more deeply, despite the references Kane made about him throughout his tenure on the show.

Just some info incase you didn't know. The second actor to play Scott was in it in 1997 as Selena's brother.

Yes you're correct about that. Apparently the actor is also an artist as well as an actor.

Selina's brother was Wayne Cook. I never knew before now he also played Scott Philips (2) as well.

I preferred Flynn (2). The two Flynns seemed like practically two different characters with different names but I really warmed to the second Flynn. He also seemed more suited to Sally.

It was strange seeing Ella Scott Lynch as Hayley (2). I remember getting confused between her and Kit at the time. I also think Hayley should have left when Bec Cartwright wanted to leave. They could have wrapped up the paternity story, Hayley goes away and Scott joins her later. Instead they dragged the story out for months and months.

Selina's brother was Wayne Cook. I never knew before now he also played Scott Philips (2) as well.

I preferred Flynn (2). The two Flynns seemed like practically two different characters with different names but I really warmed to the second Flynn. He also seemed more suited to Sally.

It was strange seeing Ella Scott Lynch as Hayley (2). I remember getting confused between her and Kit at the time. I also think Hayley should have left when Bec Cartwright wanted to leave. They could have wrapped up the paternity story, Hayley goes away and Scott joins her later. Instead they dragged the story out for months and months.

]

I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when that storyline reached its climax. 2005, while a great season was repetitive in a lot of places.

• 1 month later...

Archived