1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

Certainly a strange aura of some sort to the show during a period of the show of around 30 episodes where I think I've seen one mere scene (Fisher peering through the flat window at some point) and I think it's the overwhelming use of the Nicholas/Macklin based storyline that I thinks taking away some of my enjoyment. Perhaps not overwhelming, but the feeling that some of the simplicity of the first years is getting chewed up by one of these developement stories - of which I still can't remember a good one.

Also, I know Ailsa's pregnant and Bobby just back from honeymoon, but it feels as if they are never at their business.

They've certainly taken a different direction. 1988 was more relaxed, more 'happy', more humerous.

1989 has taken on more of a serious nature. This Nicholas/Macklin storyline is very good, but also completely different to virtually any storyline to this point. Morag is, well, she's evil. Fancy her plan to get Roo kicked out of home, only a twisted individual could think of something like that. Nicholas is a good character, very cunning, veyr two faced, and so far he's got everyone where he wants them, playing his cards beautifully. It'll be interesting to see how this storyline evolves.

The light hearted storyline at the present is Martin, what a classic. :lol:

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed Morag referred to the house she's going to rent as the "Blaxland House". The Blaxland was later the name of Alf's boat. Is there some significance to this or is it just coincidence? I can't remember anything about Alf naming the boat.

Haha Martin, Lance and Leanne -

Lance: You're turning into a puppy!

Martin: Its a yuppy

Leanne: We should start for the dance at half past art...eight.

Morag being plain selfish and nasty...great to watch!

I wish Floss and Nev had been given more to do in their final months, I'm going to miss them, Floss espeically.

I wish Floss and Nev had been given more to do in their final months, I'm going to miss them, Floss espeically.

I think Floss might work better alone as Floss seems like a character that was great on her own but with Nev it sort of brought her down bit.

I reckon it would be better to get rid of Lance and Martin. They act really dumb and when they come on I can't wait for the next scene.

I think Floss might work better alone as Floss seems like a character that was great on her own but with Nev it sort of brought her down bit.

I reckon it would be better to get rid of Lance and Martin. They act really dumb and when they come on I can't wait for the next scene.

I'm the opposite, always enjoy their scenes.

I'm the opposite, always enjoy their scenes.

I'm the opposite too, they are two of my favorite characters. Acting 'dumb' when they do, is the whole point, it is grounding and innocent. You might find them more interesting if you just go with it...I dont know. To me they are just plain fun to watch and they provide that light relief in amongst the more serious issues... Actually, I've found re-watching them has just highlighted what a significant role they and their storyines had into creating what the show was in the early days.

I was just re-watching the duck shooting storyline with Lance, Martin and Narelle - it is so funny! Particularly when the 'fake' ducks get shot just missing Narelle as it scares the life out of her jumping into the bog, next the fake ducks on Lance and Martin's helmets... I didn't notice first time round but after Martin has dived into the bog Lance falls next to him completely drenching Martin in mud, the timing is spot on! It is so silly its just funny.

That's another reason I like these two, its the predicaments they get themselves into meaning we get all these eccentric characters for them to bounce off like Colleen, Ronda, Leanne, Narelle, later Marilyn..etc

1989's "Image" story with Lance, Martin and Marilyn is one of the most hilariously bonkers soap plots EVER. :lol:

Heard on the grapevine (well, YouTube actually) that Greg Benson and Amanda Newman-Phillips are actually married in real life! Anyone know if that's actually true?

Archived