1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

I think there's just different periods of the show, and you've just got to ride with them for what they are. It's good, then it goes off the boil, then another few good years etc. I actually can't wait for Viv to arrive, but this is more because she was the last credited character I ever saw (well appart from new ones introduced after about 2005), and in the same way as Lynn, something a bit mysterious about these random characters from the beginning of the show.

Oooo, I dont remember Viv :unsure: Ill be looking forward to that bit.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the Early Years episodes to the ones that are now showing. I enjoy the structure of the episodes and that each character gets their own storyline, either big or small. We also we get more of the history regarding situations and/or families and just the whole '80's feel of the show but as we know the continuity can sometimes go astray as certain characters get more additions to their family whereas the writers in those days hadn't planned for it. There's no need for the likes of Leah and Irene during this time as we had Tom and Pippa plus Ailsa and Alf which made the core of the adult group along with Donald, Celia, (Floss and Neville when we do see them) and guest appearances from Morag, Barbara and others.

I remember Viv and her sister Tammy. Now that was an interesting storyline. We get to see John Gregg aka Rev. Newton for the first time and then the actor makes a return visit umpteen years later.

What I'm really looking forward to is the Fisher family storyline and the arrival of Rebecca. From memory, Rebecca was Steven's first girlfriend and it's interesting to see how Jane Hall acted then as opposed to now on that other soap.

Martin's earing, not good. I guess it's here to stay?

Good episode this morning, very good in fact. Chilling ending!

About point no.2, Alf said he was a dad "again". When you say you've become a dad "again", it implies that at some point that you stopped being a father.

All I will say about you and your posting is that you're very, very, very unique.

I have to say I didn't even know about Viv until I stumbled across BTTB in early 2008, looked at the title sequence archive and went "Who the heck's that?"I've never seen her or Emma and all I've seen of Grant is one episode from 1991 when it was first shown here in the UK so I'm quite looking forward to that period.

I wonder who's writing the anonymous letters to Alf/Alisa and Bobby.

If it's not Alison or Roo. I have a thought at who it might be. Bobby's dad, the guy she grew up with. He recently got out of jail right. So maybe he wants to stir up some trouble and wants to tell her the truth in a twisted sort of way.

I distinctly remember the "posion pen letters" stoyline from the first time around, I just can't remember who the culprit turns out to be!

I was very confused by yesterday's episode when Alison told Donald it was just a joke. Does that mean she DID write the note to Bobby and it was just some miraculous coincidence that she was right about him being Bobby's father? :huh:

I wonder who's writing the anonymous letters to Alf/Alisa and Bobby.

If it's not Alison or Roo. I have a thought at who it might be. Bobby's dad, the guy she grew up with. He recently got out of jail right. So maybe he wants to stir up some trouble and wants to tell her the truth in a twisted sort of way.

Maybe Stacey's fiance? That's my gut feeling.

I hope they're paying Kathryn Ridley extra this year!

I don't know, but watching these current episodes, 1989 certainly seems to have a completely different feel to 1988, but it may just be at this moment, the fact that we've got one overriding story that the side issues feel unimportant.

Archived