1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alison really added something IMO. It's a shame that she's gone.

Agreed.

Nice finish to today's episode.

Is that the last we see of Floss and Nev?

I wonder why the writers decided to get rid of her. I hope that the rumours are true that she's returning.

So I can now tick off Neville and Floss from the character of whom I have seen every episode they appear. Next up, is Roo I guess, though I've not watched Tuesday's episode followed then by the exodus at the start of 1990.

TBH, in situations it's hard to know what's right and so here. Obviosuly at some level they've not been used, essentially since their storyline with their son in the first few months, but some weeks it was laughable how alienated they appeared, though, at the start of 1989, Pippa, Sally, Steven have felt quite alienated and if I was to say one thing, the diner hasn't been quite the major player I thought it was going to be. I struggle to recall many people actually eating there so far. But almost did they not fit in and therefore became under-utilized, or were they under-utilized and therefore appear not to fit in. I mean, Floss would have been perfect in the diner instead of Matt, but Neville would have remained a problem.

The real reason apparently is because they wanted to bring in a few younger characters, and ultimately you'd say it was the right decision, but at the same, having watched their stint, you can't help, but feel, they had to go.

I remember around the time of Lynn's departure I thought it was a bit of a toss up between her and Steven as to which of the Fletchers had the least plot relevance and I suspect the only reason they chose her was because they'd have had too many girls otherwise.Celia's another one who seems at times to just pop up and do her thing without having much of an impact on the plots, maybe even Lance and Martin at some times although they're always good value.Would be interesting to know the thinking behind keeping Sally for so long when she's another one who's fairly redundant in plot terms, thinking about it there is a storyline later in 1989 which could have given her an exit.As with the way Celia vanished to Tahiti for a few weeks, Ailsa left town and Martin threatened to go around the same time as Lynn and(temporarily)Matt were written out, you wonder if they were weighing up their options.

Archived