1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

Yeah but what business of it of Alsa's??? Why does Alsa need to stick her nose and interfere with everyone else's affairs?? I mean Carly has nothing to do with Bobby, and Alsa's relationship to Bobby (given the age difference) having being described as a "friendship", is a tiny little bit morbid. Is Alsa like a mother to Bobby? If that is the case why didn't she live with her anymore than the short time around Roo's wedding.

Interesting to see Carly's recovery from alcoholism. Even though the cold turkey is a torturous 72 hours, it seems easier for her to get off the grog than real-life alcoholics (same with Irene whose recovery was even more quick/easy).

Why is it morbid to describe Ailsa and Bobby as friends? That friendship is one of my favorite aspects of the two characters; they are good mates.

I haven't seen any of this weeks episodes yet, but by the sounds of it, looks good! Looking forward to a back-to-back catch up at the weekend.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The individual character ones were more rewarding I found. Long time since I've read them, but the Bobby one for example filled us in on her background up until the moment the Fletchers drove into the Caravan Park. The Carly/Steven and Frank ones also did the same - think they mainly ended on when they were introduced into the family.

Sounds good. Did it answer the question of whether Bobby actually DID break into Fisher's place or not?

Yeah but what business of it of Alsa's??? Why does Alsa need to stick her nose and interfere with everyone else's affairs?? I mean Carly has nothing to do with Bobby, and Alsa's relationship to Bobby (given the age difference) having being described as a "friendship", is a tiny little bit morbid. Is Alsa like a mother to Bobby? If that is the case why didn't she live with her anymore than the short time around Roo's wedding.

I agree that AIlsa does stick her nose in a lot, yet also belittles Celia for doing the same thing. AIlsa also has this "I'm always right" attitude. The difference, however, is that AIlsa IS usually right, or on the side of "good", wheras Celia's gossip is often harmful or in this particular case Alison's actions were nasty and AIlsa was doing a good thing by stopping it.

I agree with Alexx about AIlsa and Bobby's friendship. Why shouldn't they be mates? They are one of the best friendships the show has had. Their loyalty to each other is stronger than most other relationships on the show - including romantic ones!

The individual character ones were more rewarding I found. Long time since I've read them, but the Bobby one for example filled us in on her background up until the moment the Fletchers drove into the Caravan Park. The Carly/Steven and Frank ones also did the same - think they mainly ended on when they were introduced into the family.

Sounds good. Did it answer the question of whether Bobby actually DID break into Fisher's place or not?

No she didn't - in the book Fisher had seen Bobby waving the flag at a race with Martin, Lance, Revhead etc. He'd gone home to ring the police only to find his house burgled in the half hour he'd been gone - he saw it as an opportunity and went back out again, waiting until he later saw Bobby on her own with no alibi.

Interesting to see Carly's recovery from alcoholism. Even though the cold turkey is a torturous 72 hours, it seems easier for her to get off the grog than real-life alcoholics (same with Irene whose recovery was even more quick/easy).

Why is it morbid to describe Ailsa and Bobby as friends? That friendship is one of my favorite aspects of the two characters; they are good mates.

I haven't seen any of this weeks episodes yet, but by the sounds of it, looks good! Looking forward to a back-to-back catch up at the weekend.

The age difference. Friends are usually around the same age, but the relationship between Bobby and Alsa should be more of a mother-daughter one, yet Bobby only lived with Alsa for a short time.

Who decides what side Alsa is on is "good" even when the business she interferes in is none of her concern?

Hey I have a couple of questions regarding Episode 237:

1. How can Alsa be 5 months pregnant and not have any bulge in her stomach?

2. When was Alf "not" a dad? because he said he is excited about becoming a father again?? or am I interpreting what he says too literally?¿? :unsure::unsure:

As far as point number 1, its rare but entirely possible. A friend of mind who'd recovered from cancer but had been told she couldnt have kids got to 7.5 mth without us or her knowing she was pregnant. She didnt show hardly at all and had the tiniest bump even at that point.

Not entirely sure what you mean about point number two. Do you mean because he is a dad to Roo so therefore will continue to be so? Or am I confused? :unsure:

About point no.2, Alf said he was a dad "again". When you say you've become a dad "again", it implies that at some point that you stopped being a father.

Right Im with you now, sorry about being confused. Yes, in literal terms it would be true what you say. However, in the UK its quite a common expression to say "Im a mum/dad again" when expecting a second or subsequent child, so maybe he was using the expression in the same way.

If you are on a diet over a month and you lose weight you say "I've lost weight". If you continue on your diet and lose more weight the next month you may say "I've lost weight again". This doesn't cancel out the original weight loss.

Saying you are going to be a father again simply means that have you fathered a child again. It does not mean you stopped being a father originally. I suspect you already have the capable brain cells to work this out and are, in fact, just being the most horrendous pedant.

Or, you really can't work these things out for yourself. I'm not sure which is worse. But I know for sure I'd rather talk about all the great things in the early years than pick holes.

I still don't understand your problem with Ailsa and Bobby either. As you said, friends are USUALLY of the same age. But not always. This being one of those times. Why exactly are you trying to pick fault with it? They are friends, they are different ages. Accept it.

Saying you are going to be a father again simply means that have you fathered a child again. It does not mean you stopped being a father originally. I suspect you already have the capable brain cells to work this out and are, in fact, just being the most horrendous pedant.

Or, you really can't work these things out for yourself. I'm not sure which is worse. But I know for sure I'd rather talk about all the great things in the early years than pick holes.

I still don't understand your problem with Ailsa and Bobby either. As you said, friends are USUALLY of the same age. But not always. This being one of those times. Why exactly are you trying to pick fault with it? They are friends, they are different ages.

Haha! Also Imo the age gap makes the friendship all the more special now its been brought up...but I simply thought it was an interesting element to both Bobby and Ailsa as characters. They have a healthy respect and trust for each other, age doesn't come into it between them.

Archived