1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I was very interested in the dated picture of Anzac Day. That boozy, blokey culture is sort of fading these days. With the Vietnam Veterans our wives and kids have always been a part of the Association. It's an interesting historical picture.

Episode 72 sees the first time a classic piece of Home And Away underscore music is heard — this was when Vera was in tears talking about how her boyfriend Les was killed in the war. The music I refer to plays again, when Vera is at Alf & Alsa's, in tears telling Alsa how much she misses Les and what a horrendous way she lost him.

Does anyone have any information about this kind of music in Home And Away? I get the idea you wouldn't find it in libraries such as KPM and Bruton, but is that what composer Mike Perjanik is credited for??

Episode 72 sees the first time a classic piece of Home And Away underscore music is heard — this was when Vera was in tears talking about how her boyfriend Les was killed in the war. The music I refer to plays again, when Vera is at Alf & Alsa's, in tears telling Alsa how much she misses Les and what a horrendous way she lost him.

Does anyone have any information about this kind of music in Home And Away? I get the idea you wouldn't find it in libraries such as KPM and Bruton, but is that what composer Mike Perjanik is credited for??

That's correct, Mike Perjanik created all of the underscore music from scratch for each episode (apart from the obvious songs from the jukebox etc.). The job has now been passed on to his son Nick.

In a week of rarities, we have another one coming in Episode 73!

And people will finally see that we're not bonkers when some of us talk about how there was another Stewart sister :P

That's correct, Mike Perjanik created all of the underscore music from scratch for each episode (apart from the obvious songs from the jukebox etc.). The job has now been passed on to his son Nick.

And he composed all of the original music right up until the end of 2003 - I think his music really helped shape the whole 'feel' of Summer Bay all of those years. I have grown to adjust and do really like how Nick composes now, it is different in style but he seems to have captured that essence Mike Perjanik brought to the show when you hear the more traditional piano pieces they use these days, but I do miss Mike's very melodic scores.

A similar or updated/altered version of that piece of music you're referring to was used in 2001 during Ailsa's funeral episode and was used a few times over 2001-2002, another time it was used was in the scene Fisher had a flashback to Alan collapsing on the beach (during the Seb storyline in 2001)!

WOW - I thought Friday's episode was one of the best episodes the show has produced, such a dark subject matter AND it was a G rated show back then!!! I love the relationship between Pip and Danny, it is very realistic under the circumstances and has allowed us to see a side to Pippa we hadn't, up until that point, seen. Interestingly I think this aspect of the character did become a bit more prominent as the years went on and when Debra Lawrence took over the role, she could be quite blunt when it was needed. But yeah I was very impressed with the standard of the last couple of episodes and in particular Friday's; I haven't seen the Danny storyline since it first aired, I have no memory of catching these episodes during the repeats so I was hoping they would go there at the end of the episode and was impressed that they did, also how frank the scripts were in talking about killing oneself there wasn't any dancing around the matter it was straight to the point. I also had a laugh out loud at the Carly, Lyn, Sally and Martin scene, it didn't move any storyline along at all, it was just pure character based fun!! Hopefully we will start seeing more of these sort of mini sub plots in the current show. 10/10 for Friday's ep!

I've just had a major catch-up with about the last 6 episodes.

I've also been very impressed with the storyline between Pippa and Danny. I think it's a very mature aspect of the show to link storylines to serious events in history, such as the World and Vietnam wars, and how the tsunami was worked in to Miles' backstory. It made it all the more emotionlal to know that there would be people out there who felt the same way that Danny did.

It was also top-notch acting from all involved, particularly the actor that plays/played Danny. The dynamic between Danny and Pippa was perfect and they seemed very realisitc as siblings, even if in real life the actors couldn't have been anywhere near a similar age. (I swear that guy must have been at least 20 years older than Vanessa!)

I've also really enjoyed getting to know a bit more about Celia. It's so sad that she was so in love with Les, and has never found anyone to share her life with since. I also thought it was very clever how they worked her Christian beliefs into the story by her refusing to sleep with Les the night before he went away. It made it all the more tragic. :(

However, top notch work writers!

Archived