1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Episode 2855 was an episode with a 10 minute scene where a lot of the original cast sat down and talked about things that happened over their times in the show. It's an episode where very little happens in terms of action, but it does tidy a few things up and lets us know where some of the old characters are now. Alison Patterson is mentioned as well, I think, for the first time confirming that she is related to Vinnie (debuts on the Early Years September 2017). It's one of my favourite episodes.

That's the end of the shows first large guest cast story arc and it does seem strange that in the following 4950 episodes, we never really see them again.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see that episode (2855).

I don't really get the point of it. What's the point in focusing so heavily on the guest cast and then once the audience finally empathise with the characters, whisk them away? I can see why though considering Catherine McColl-Jones was never really that strong an actress, but had they cast someone better in the role I think I would have been slightly annoyed.

They did mention Sandra in Episode 2855 (after Sally & Kieran's wedding in 2000). Pippa said that the last she heard, Sandra had to change her name so her father wouldn't find her when he came out of prison - Steven also mentioned he had tried to find her after going to Uni, to see if she was OK, but was unable to. He still maintained they had only been friends though.

Wow, I did not know that. :huh:

Episode 2855 was on the website to download for nearly two years!

Onto today's episode, it seemed a strange one. Like ES said, they do seem to have been getting rid of Sandra particularly quickly and thought CM-J wasn't particularly great in acting terms, I liked the character of Sandra, though without the domestic abuse storyline, I wonder where she could have went in terms of the show over the next year or so.

The Floss/Neville story is all slightly bizarre and a rather predictable cliffhanger.

Episode 2855 was on the website to download for nearly two years!

Onto today's episode, it seemed a strange one. Like ES said, they do seem to have been getting rid of Sandra particularly quickly and thought CM-J wasn't particularly great in acting terms, I liked the character of Sandra, though without the domestic abuse storyline, I wonder where she could have went in terms of the show over the next year or so.

The Floss/Neville story is all slightly bizarre and a rather predictable cliffhanger.

I'm starting to wonder where they're gonna take Floss and Neville from here, now that the storyline with Scott and Ben is over. They seem to be dragging it out, but if they're gonna make the story go on any further I'd rather have an appearance from Ben.

As for ep 2855, I find it rather bizarre that Pippa mentions Sandra when it was obviously then Debra portraying the character and almost ten years later, I think if I had been watching I'd feel like it was some sort of parallel universe.

I also liked the character of Sandra Ryan, but I do think tptb made the right decision to not extend the character any further. I've enjoyed the plot apart from getting frustrated with Kerry at parts, I do think it was a waste to do it with a guest family though, I think they could have casted a bit more carefully, although Sam, Kerry and Sandra were believable as a family unit in terms of looks.

You've got to remember that when they cast this story, with Barlow making his first appearance in Episode 15 and Kerry and Sandra about 30 that they would be casting for a show that was yet to actually air and whilst it would probably have some pull being "Seven's new soap", you might not get as large numbers as you do nowadays. I still think Gerald Sont was terrible. I certainly can't remember him being this bad in 2005.

You've got to remember that when they cast this story, with Barlow making his first appearance in Episode 15 and Kerry and Sandra about 30 that they would be casting for a show that was yet to actually air and whilst it would probably have some pull being "Seven's new soap", you might not get as large numbers as you do nowadays. I still think Gerald Sont was terrible. I certainly can't remember him being this bad in 2005.

I was surprised to find out the other day that Gerard returned to the role in 2005 when Martha returned to the Bay. I assumed (having got back into the show from the 06 season onwards) that H and A didn't really give a crap about things like continuity but I was impressed that Brett returned. I've always found it strange that Roo has never returned. It would be the perfect time what with Martha back in the Bay, but Justine Clarke is doing that children's show these days. Hsving said that you'd think she'd jump at the chance of returning to Home and Away because surely it pays a lot higher? Though I suppose the hours on a children's show are pretty good, plus she did sound hugely enthusiastic about he job when I read an interview with her the other day.

I know what you mean about Sandra, but I still don't see why they couldn't have kept them on longer and made them (except Barlow) permanent characters. The cast was ridiculously small, I just don't get why they'd create a whole family of guest characters. Mind you, they haven't kicked the habit because they did it once again last year with the Walkers.

I think throughout this first year where she's at loggerheads with Ailsa and Bobby, the general public in 88 treated her pretty badly, calling her names, spitting on her etc. for the vicious things she's done and does do. Though I've jokingly said before that perhaps if we spat on her for not returning to the show, she might return!

Episode 2855 was an episode with a 10 minute scene where a lot of the original cast sat down and talked about things that happened over their times in the show. It's an episode where very little happens in terms of action, but it does tidy a few things up and lets us know where some of the old characters are now. Alison Patterson is mentioned as well, I think, for the first time confirming that she is related to Vinnie (debuts on the Early Years September 2017). It's one of my favourite episodes.

That's the end of the shows first large guest cast story arc and it does seem strange that in the following 4950 episodes, we never really see them again.

That sounds like around when Home And Away really "jumped the shark" (is that soap speak for "can never be the same again"?)

In Prisoner, there was a major cast walkout in Episode 534 where several characters (including an important one who was with the series since Episode 91) finished and were never seen again. In Episode 536, many flashbacks from old episodes were shown as much of the episode was taken up by going over old times.

Archived