1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Now we're finally getting to the part when this show becomes a real soap. I sort of see Roo's pregnancy as a turning point for the show, based on what happened so far, and from what I know of the storylines that come after, this is when things started to get really juicy. :D I can't wait to see how it all plays out. :P

Also, when did Roo become pregnant anyway? Was that around Episode 49–50, the time Alf ranted and raved to Frank at "Pippa"'s house about decking someone when he was hoping Roo would come home peacefully??

Roo should have had an abortion, it was a mistake keeping this grub. All the warnings were totally ignored. Why did she insist on keeping it? Was it because of years and years of brainwashing from her religious aunt "Celia"?? Is it because characters in soaps are never allowed to willingly have an abortion?

:angry:

Martha had an abortion in 2007 willingly, she didn't tell anyone about it until after and seemed to feel guilty, but she still had the abortion.

I wasn't really watching during that period, but did Alf or someone else actually tell Martha that her mother nearly aborted her?

Have just watched the episode with the shooting:O So dramatic!! Also I realised something:

Tom said: So what are you going to do, shoot me?

Then 20 years later in the last season's cliffhanger:

Charlie said: So what are you going to do, shoot me?

In fact this episode was SO much better than 2009 cliffhanger!

Have just watched the episode with the shooting:O So dramatic!! Also I realised something:

Tom said: So what are you going to do, shoot me?

Then 20 years later in the last season's cliffhanger:

Charlie said: So what are you going to do, shoot me?

In fact this episode was SO much better than 2009 cliffhanger!

LOL! Perhaps today's storylines aren't so far removed from H&A of old after all. :wink:

I thought it was a terrific episode and loved the oh-so-soapy gunshot cliffhanger. I don't remember this storyline at all from last time around so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Wow, the Early Years episodes really are getting juicy! :o

I can't believe Kerry was the one who got shot and subsequently died. :o Throughout this storyline I've been wanting to throw things at the screen because Kerry has just let herself be treated so badly. I've found it quite difficult to get into the story because I've found it difficult to empathise with Kerry; she was clearly being treated badly and then tricked Sandra into coming home. I think part of the reason it's so difficult is because over the last 22 years the role of women in society has changed a hell of a lot and it is perhaps easier these days for women to go out to work on their own and not rely on their husbands.

I think it was unfair of the writers to make Kerry die. I was looking forward to her getting a bit of happiness once Sam was out of the picture but it never happened. I suppose it was necessary for her to die to allow a strong message to be portrayed to the audience about domestic violence.

I thought it was mighty strange that Ailsa thought Barlow should have gone to the funeral. He's caused Kerry so much pain over the years obviously and ended up being the cause of her death (even if it was a mistake) I would have thought someone in Ailsa's position would have thought that he could rot in hell.

The plot where Sandra couldn't cry - I don't know if this is cruel but I assumed it was because the actress isn't the strongest in the world and I was proved right at the cliffhanger.

I was also hooked when the SB Nutter rang up the house phone. I'm so glad I've avoided finding out who he/she is because it's going to be a complete surpriuse. Does anyone know if Catherine McColl-Jones (Sandra) is still acting?

Archived