1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Not sure about ep 31. A bit slow for me but I liked how we got to know a bit more about Fisher. Celia overlooking Ailsa and Fisher made me realise how few adults the show has these days compared to when it first started, you'd never get mini stories like these. Have to say I love Alf's trust in Ailsa, he knows she wouldn't do anything like that to hurt him, and I think it's great later on when Ailsa feels the same about him when Bobby and Marilyn are convinced that he's having an affair.

I just realised, thinking about it, that because Barbara and Morag are sisters, Rebecca and Bobby are cousins and half-sisters. :huh:

The actor who played Ben, later played Joe (who bullied Sally in 1995) - although I havent looked this up, I'm pretty sure going on looks.

I enjoyed both ep 30 and 31! I cant imagine them showing Floss hitting Ben these days! Also I wish they would go back to being more edgier again, calling each other a cow and bastard or people being more abrupt with each other in their language, that is what set Home and Away apart from Neighbours at the time...although I think they started easing it out around the earlier 90's.

Not sure about ep 31. A bit slow for me but I liked how we got to know a bit more about Fisher. Celia overlooking Ailsa and Fisher made me realise how few adults the show has these days compared to when it first started, you'd never get mini stories like these.

I think when I think of the Early Years and just my general watching of the show I tend to think of the early yars, I am drawn towards the two main family groups from the first three years or so, after that the whole structure becomes slightly more fragmented, but I tend to think of some of those major arcs - though I don't really want to give them away. The episodes with Lynn at the centre, also Floss and Neville, almost feel like filler now in retrospect, because you know where they go to and also I know where the story goes to.

Not sure about ep 31. A bit slow for me but I liked how we got to know a bit more about Fisher. Celia overlooking Ailsa and Fisher made me realise how few adults the show has these days compared to when it first started, you'd never get mini stories like these.

I think when I think of the Early Years and just my general watching of the show I tend to think of the early yars, I am drawn towards the two main family groups from the first three years or so, after that the whole structure becomes slightly more fragmented, but I tend to think of some of those major arcs - though I don't really want to give them away. The episodes with Lynn at the centre, also Floss and Neville, almost feel like filler now in retrospect, because you know where they go to and also I know where the story goes to.

I know what you mean - because I wasn't born until 1990 I obviously wasn't able to watch the early years of the show and have only been able to for the last ten years or so, but I must say because I know very little about those characters that you meantioned, I am actually intrigued to know what happens to their characters as I don't already. It's very unusual watching a show that you know what's going to happen in for the next twenty years.

I'm also starting to appreciate what people mean when they regard orginal Pippa as the superior version. I don't know what I mean, but because I had only ever witnessed Debra's version I automatically preferred her, but now I'm starting to see why the oringinal portrayal of the character was so loved. Some of Vanessa's dialogue does seem a little wooden at times, but I think there's a fragility and softness to her that is very endearing. I admit I think she's a character that takes some time to get to love, but once you do start to like her, I think you do from then on.

Just watched ep 32. That Ben is a right little brat. I thought it was funny when Floss was speaking to Scott on the phone and put a funny voice on.

I was truly shocked at the end when I saw Carly coming home after hitching with that guy. :o

From the same episode they talk throughout the seating plan and Lynn tells Sandra to initially sit to her right, yet when they sit down Sandra is initially on her left. Frances Swan should be sacked.

OK, forget about the episode counts. Steven, Roo and Ailsa appear in 5. Pippa, Alf and Lance appeared in 4 episode. As of Episode 33, which is next block, minus the pilot (so just the regular episodes), Lynn has appeared in more scenes than anyone. I'm guessing her appearances must drop off markedly at some point in the future.

Were white swimsuits ever a good idea?

I liked how everyone seemed oblivious, unless I've missed a throwaway line, to the fact that Lynn was missing from the table to allow everyone to fit around it. A very Carly orientated episode, though in some ways the episode itself didn't seem to move very far in any direction. Still trying to work out whether Matt is a very infrequently used main cast member or a slightly more used guest at the moment.

Were white swimsuits ever a good idea?

I liked how everyone seemed oblivious, unless I've missed a throwaway line, to the fact that Lynn was missing from the table to allow everyone to fit around it. A very Carly orientated episode, though in some ways the episode itself didn't seem to move very far in any direction. Still trying to work out whether Matt is a very infrequently used main cast member or a slightly more used guest at the moment.

I think Tom or someone said later on that they needed to go and pick Lynn up. It wasn't until that point that I realised she wasn't there!

Archived