1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

floss and neville left many years ago now i think the producers tried to blend the the old and young together at first and decided that floss and nev had run their course in the show , as for morag she flits in and out of the show when cornelia can fit into the current storylines i think fiona spence left she didnt want to be typecast as she had with prisoner cell block h.

You might remember in a previous thread I mentioned "Gemma Ramsay" appears. Well that was her first appearance in Episode 29 giving us some sort of bizarre love triangle, where no one's feelings are reciprocated at the moment and Lil must be up there for the most pointless credited guest star. And if you were unsure just why they were crediting her, the credits remind you she was the shopper.

Lance has been a lot better value on his own and actually seems more intelligent than 10 episodes ago.

I'm glad we are finding out more about Lance, he's always been one of my favorite early years characters and it's good to see the Sally/Lance mate-ship forming!

Great last few episodes!! :) Also watching the Early Years again like this really reinforces how much the current show is missing the outdoor Summer Bay House and Caravan Park location - there is so much more scope when you can have characters walking in and out of the house and the audience are able to follow the characters from the back porch threw the bushes into the park or whatever! It's such an important location, it was just as, if not more prominent than the beach in those days and I think bringing it back is a fantastic move!

Lance has been a lot better value on his own and actually seems more intelligent than 10 episodes ago.

I agree with that. I hated him a few weeks ago, but now they've given the character time away from Martin he's really had a chance to grow. Iaso noticed that the girl Steven fancied was Beth Buchanan from Neighbours.

I've just watched episode 30 and I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to react. On the one hand it was a nice to have a bit of light relief, but on the other a lot of the attempts at being comedic fell flat. Alf and Tom's routine at the Variety Night, Ailsa's dance, at which the whole audience refused to clap but suddenly changed their minds once Bobby and Fisher started clapping, I really didn't understand that and thought it was quite unrealisitc. And the 'Living in Summer Bay' song was total cringe from beginning to end, especially the obvious miming. I loved Frank's comment though, "This is the Eighties. Music's changed a fair bit since the sixties". :lol:

Although I wasn't particularly impressed, when the end credits kicked in the episode did leave me with a smile on my face which I guess is the most important thing. :)

It was hard to know whether the lack of applause for Ailsa's routine was due to the fact that she was a murderer or the fact the routine appeared to be pants. At least they remembered she was doing tap dancing as shown in the Pilot. I actually thought the name Lance came up with on the spot was pretty good.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but could be the last episode filmed in 1987 and possibly a point in where they were going to reevaluate whether the series continued because plausibly the series could have finished there, with the way the storylines were built up.

[Ailsa's dance, at which the whole audience refused to clap but suddenly changed their minds once Bobby and Fisher started clapping, I really didn't understand that and thought it was quite unrealisitc.

Like Ryan said, I think it was because of the murderous history, and the town were uncomfortable with Ailsa being there - would they accept her or not? Thats the impression I got from it.

I definitely laughed at Living in Summer Bay - but I think it was supposed to be corny even then?! As you, it left me with a smile on my face and I always enjoyed the 'happy endings' type that used to be more prominent pre-2005/4

Archived