1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

They finally moved 7TWO to foxtel so for the last 2 weeks I’ve been able to watch the early years and they’re fantastic. I’ve really loved this week’s episodes. Especially Sally on the run under the bed :P and Alf’s very unorthodox proposal.

Today’s episode was especially good as well. I loved Lynne’s outburst and the way she shut down after it. Great acting. I’m glad she responded slightly to Carly and went back to their room. Justine was great as well, and I felt really bad for Roo. Although I can’t see Alf being too sympathetic towards Frank if he was to find out. :P

How do you mean clones of characters?

Pippa was in it for 10 years and there hasn't been anyone like her since really... Michael wasn't anything like Tom either Imo

What I mean is Vanessa was much warmer Pippa and had more sense of Humour then Debra Pippa and when Debra took over she change Pippa character so much it felt like new character. But Debra was sitll warm Pippa and she made most tounching sences and that but she chould been very negtive at times wheres Vanessa Pippa was very postive person.

Micheal was such bad character he didit even really care about fostering and Tom was much warmer and better father and character.

Just wish that Roger and Vanessa stayed on show longer as good as job Debra did as Pippa and Dennis as Micheal they never live up to Tom and Pippa.

Ah ok... I don't see it in the same way really though. Pippa is a character, so Debra playing her during any phases of the character being negative, is nothing to do with Debra, its the writers decision in terms of what a character will do and say or how they will react - so had Vanessa been playing her during those storylines, you would probably have got the same negative Pippa too.

I see what your saying in terms of how both actors played the role differently as they are obviously different people bringing there own 'voice' to the part. I see Vanessa's Pippa as more of a big sister/aunt and guardian relationship with the kids and Debra's as more of a mother figure but I like both for different reasons.

Yeah and don't get me wrong I love Debra's Pippa, she made the most touching scenes ever.

Now for today's episode I think it is the start of what's to come as Ailsa's secret is about to be reveled.

And Pippa calling Floss Mrs Smart lol. I laughed :lol:

Does anyone know how old Nevil'e and Floss are, and is Morag going to be making her first episode appearance soon?

Episode Count: Roo and Bobby have 5, Fisher, Ailsa and Frank in 4.

Interesting episode this one featuring Jeff Samuels (terrible actor), and it begins in a small way to open up a few of the extras around the community that play a sizable part of the first year.

Ah ok... I don't see it in the same way really though. Pippa is a character, so Debra playing her during any phases of the character being negative, is nothing to do with Debra, its the writers decision in terms of what a character will do and say or how they will react - so had Vanessa been playing her during those storylines, you would probably have got the same negative Pippa too.

I see what your saying in terms of how both actors played the role differently as they are obviously different people bringing there own 'voice' to the part. I see Vanessa's Pippa as more of a big sister/aunt and guardian relationship with the kids and Debra's as more of a mother figure but I like both for different reasons.

I don't think Vanessa is as much of an actress as Debra is to be honest, and Vanessa's version of Pippa is a bit childish and not very much of an authority figure in the family. I get the impression sometimes that Vanessa isn't used to acting , well not on TV particularly , but more of a theatre/stage actress. I don't know why I just do. I really like the relationship between Pippa & Tom and how they interact with all the children.

I really do enjoy watching all the emotional scenes between all of the characters and I think it is lacking in that department a lot in the current episodes. 2 of the best examples of this was when Carly explained to Tom why she was blackmailing her father and how he was inadvertently responible for her mothers death. The other is when Roo told Frank how her mother would say she would prefer to go shopping with her mates ad Roo would tell her she would prefer to go with her. That scene really got to me and that one along with the Carly and Tom scene were extremely powerful. I can't say how much I wish todays H&A was as character drven as todays. All of the characters are written so well and they have all got intriguing and emotional backstorys. We haven't seen what went on before the show started but we already feel we have seen it with how its been written.

I don't understand why Alf desn't take into account how Roo feels about him marrying Ailsa but I do think Roo is handling it all the wrong way. I am particularly enjoying the relationship between Frank & Roo actually, and it was really nice to see when Roo stopped herself from sleeping with him after she wanted to prove a point to Alf. It showed how much she cares about Frank and wants it to be special. I hope it stays that way until she feels she is ready and doesn't do it for all the wrong reasons.

One of the best friendships I've seen pn the show so far has been that of Nico and Lynn's. I love how she really cares about him and would do anything for him, I think Nico is a fantastic character and I loved his nan during the scenes where Lyn was found hiding in the barn , she was very comical.

I was watching the other day and I was so happy to hear Roo mention getting Morag in to looking into Ailsa's past to see if shes hiding any dirt.So looking forward to Morags introduction :D. I also thought it was very interesting how when Alf made a comment about Ailsa not having children she hesitated and it was obvious she was hiding something. That something we now know is that she had Shauna when she was in prison. Great continuity there and brilliant how that scene which was filmed years ago would make so much sense all these years later when they found out about Shauna.

I love Sally in these early years episodes , she is such a character! Shes given me quite a few laughs, especilly in thescene where everybody was teasing her about not knowing what a fertility drug was and she said it makes the lawn grow :lol: and when she told Steven she was on the run from the police and hid under the bed :lol:

Bobby really makes me laugh aswell , just with her one liners and comments. She had some of the funniest lines.

and its really puzzling me....Who is killing all the animals?!?! I was devastated when Nico found Jessie dead :(

and I take it Pippa does lose the baby ? Or end up terminating it ?

At first I thought the baby was Dale but I think Debra played Pippa then , I'm not too sure though. :huh:

I just wish we could fast forward to some of the episodes from the 90's particularly 1995/1996.

Archived