1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

For discussion of the following episodes:

25th - 16

27th - 17

28th - 18

31st - 19

1st - 20

Today's episode felt much more like it - I wondered towards the end of the whether the cliffhanger was Celia's singing, having forgotten the locker stunt at the very end. Week 3 does feel very much an alien week in the scheme of things, focusing mainly on two oddball guest characters and a girl who had this as about her only story. This episode felt like we were back in the community again.

Just watched episode 14. Thought it was ok. I thought Sally was really sweet, drawing a picture of a dog to entice Lynn back to the Bay. I find it strange how much screentime Sally is getting though, does Kate receive the same amount of screen time from the beginning of the show right up until she leaves school around age sixteen? The reason I ask is the kids on the show these days don't get anywhere near as much attention as they obviously did in those days. VJ for example is hardly ever seen, and Ryan wasn't much either when he was on the show, but Sally seems to be getting as much screen time as all the other regular characters.

The only reason VJ and such from the year 2004-onwards haven't been seen is because the current producers changed the shows format so much that they aren't interested in having a child as a permanent character. Sam got the same amount of screen time as Sally and I'd say Max did too.

To be honest I've found the Lyn storyline quite tiring and its no wonder I'd forgotten about anything she had done. I think because I find Lyn to be quite selfish (if I knew her in real life she'd be annoying) that has given me a bad taste about her. I also don't think it was a strong enough storyline to have as a 'main' feature.

I did think the Fisher/Lyn scene was excellent! Really well written and quite dark.

I enjoyed today's episode and had a laugh at Celia singing! haha Ailsa has always been a favorite of mine and I'm really enjoying her scenes and watching her interacting with the rest of the cast, its also cool to see her as a single woman, whenever I think of Ailsa I immediately think of the Stewart house and the Diner and Alf etc so its good to be reminded of what the character was like pre-marriage.

Just watched episode 14. Thought it was ok. I thought Sally was really sweet, drawing a picture of a dog to entice Lynn back to the Bay. I find it strange how much screentime Sally is getting though, does Kate receive the same amount of screen time from the beginning of the show right up until she leaves school around age sixteen? The reason I ask is the kids on the show these days don't get anywhere near as much attention as they obviously did in those days. VJ for example is hardly ever seen, and Ryan wasn't much either when he was on the show, but Sally seems to be getting as much screen time as all the other regular characters.

The only reason VJ and such from the year 2004-onwards haven't been seen is because the current producers changed the shows format so much that they aren't interested in having a child as a permanent character. Sam got the same amount of screen time as Sally and I'd say Max did too.

Max was a bit older, he was more Lynn's age group.(What was he, 12 when he first came in?)I don't know if it's the result of a policy change, Duncan hardly appeared before he [prematurely] went through puberty, Chris hardly appeared...I think possibly the difference with Sally and Sam is that they had a "reason" for being in the Bay(Sally was an orphan

or so we thought

who was being fostered, Sam was taken away from his mother and then reunited with the father he didn't know), rather than just being there because their parents were, and so I think there was more they could do with them.

In an attempt to have someone other than Ryan commenting in this thread, how much has Steven been in it so far?Looking at the posts on here and thinking about what I've read elsewhere, I'm getting the impression that bringing Roo in tied her, Frank, Bobby and Carly together but with Steven and Lynn their storylines tended to revolve around them interacting with guest stars.(As Ryan said, I think the stuff with Nico is pretty much Lynn's only storyline.)

So far Steven's mainly been tied in with Frank and Roo - with him doing her homework for her whilst she spent time with Frank (under the guide of him 'tutoring' her). Though he put a stop to that after a few episodes.

Other than that it's been the revelation of his karate to the family, talking to Frank about his father teaching it to him and then offering to show Carly some moves in case Martin gets a bit amorous.....

True but for the most part they were just kids doing kids things and most of the time and they had their more 'real life' storylines like growing pains and puberty etc I think if they wanted too, they could have VJ become more of a character in his own right with his own personalty and have him become more of a prominent character like Sam was - maybe they will next year.

Yeah I think Stevo always had a more solitary direction to him which I liked. I'm looking forward to his family history coming out again and being explored and his relationship with Phil. I've always enjoyed characters that haven't just been involved with the core cast all the time, even when Stephen came back in the mid 90's, his storylines were quite distinct and remote. Shannon was another one who, a lot of the time, had storylines involving guest characters and exploring the character evolving alone...

Archived