1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

What a lovely cheery episode for Xmas day!!!!

I take it you're being sarcastic? :lol: It wasn't the most cheery eppy but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I have to admit I didn't realise the earlyyears of Home and Away were quite as dark as this. They're covering a lot of taboo subjects and I think they've handled them really sensitively too. Sharyn Hodgson really acted her socks of in yesterday's episode, her speech at the end was a great moment. I'm also loving the whole story with Sandra and her parents. Granted she's not the best actress, but I think it's given us quite an insightful storyline and it is very dark. It really gave me goosebumps when we were overhearing Sam hit Kerry, and I thought that was a great shot because it totally captured what a child in that position would feel like. I was a bit disappointed with Ailsa's reaction when Sandra asked her for help, ushering her to leave the store.I can understand it obviously because she doesn't want to bring back memories but it would have been nice if she'd accompanied Sandra to the police station. I liked meeting Kerry's mum too.

Has it always been a trend of Home and Away to delve into the lives of a complete family who are contracted as guests?

I don't want to know but at this stage I'm starting to think that Sam might have something to do with all the bad things that are happening in Summer Bay.

I'm starting to warm to Ben a bit more now. He wasn't as bad in the bay but you could see a mile off that the cliff-hanger was gonna be Ben finding photos of his father somewhere in the caravan.

Celia's starting to annoy me. I don't understand why she thought Carly was out of line with her reaction when she went to Summer Bay House because she has caused the girl a lot of distress. I'm also starting to think she's a complete caricature because all she seems to do is gossip and I think the actress is great so I'd rather they did something good with the character.

......I also wish 7TWO would air 2 episodes per day, the time goes so fast I'm left wanting more, still wish they'd change the time slot to late afternoon but I'm just grateful they're on at all! I hope that's how I'll feel about the 2010 season!!

When they showed 2 episodes a day last time, they snipped the beginnings and endings off the episodes.

I'm finding it interesting watching the way Carly's "attack" is handled. It was all kind of random and sudden. 20 years later, for one episode only, they actually use the word "rape." hmm..

What exactly is Lance and Martin's homebrew? When they showed potatoes and a still I assumed they were making vodka..until they poured it and called it "homebrew." Neither potatoes nor still are involved in beermaking.. :wink:

You'd think that Carly blames herself for the enormous crime of hitch-hiking, and all that really happened was like she got badly beaten and robbed or something like that. Plus she didn't get pregnant, nor were there any bruises (visible at least anyway). It is rather strange.

It unfortunately appears as if these episodes are being censored as there appears to have been some pretty dodgy editing at the end of today episode and indeed the final scene is supposed to have been at the Barlow House where Sam demands to know what Sandra and Kerry were gossiping about and in the post credits segment he tells them he'll bash it out of them. Both the BTTB Summaries and the Archive of the old Canberra pages back this up.

Also it appears that for the second day the wrong credits have been used - Alison again credited with no sign of Barnett or the Barlows. What's going on Seven?

I just checked the ending (the final scene before the credits, and at the end of the credits) and it exactly matches the scenes in my recording of the previous repeat. All of the scenes in question and the end of Episode 40 are both at the Barlow house.

The Barlows are credited. Where is Alison Patterson supposed to be credited in Episode 40?

Archived