1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I have really enjoyed the last few episodes and how they have gone from 'dark' to 'lighthearted' character stuff, it doesn't seem random to me, I think it has been a nice flow. It is really feeling like Home and Away now that most of the characters are established, Matt being the odd one out in the mix. But the direction and pace is much better now and there is more music and we have 'real' cliffhangers now!

There she is- that woman - cleaning the house for Jack Hunter coming around!

A better episode today I thought - certainly seemed better at moving the stories along than last week. I do think though that show is missing something without Roo - without Roo it's almost as if everyone is too nice - the exception being Fisher, but even he is becoming more and more rounded.

I have to say I thought episode 51 was brilliant. Donald telling Celia to go away, Celia riling Pippa about singing in the band, Alf and Ailsa getting messy with the flour, Ailsa telling Donald some home truths about the way he treats kids, Floss and Neville setting up camp on Scotty's front lawn... so many great moments all in 22 minutes! The dialogue was good, the characterisation was good and the background music was good. To me this episode really seemed like the transition from the awkward early episodes to the H&A that I knew and loved.

Eulogy over. :)

I couldn't help but notice "Pippa" pretending to ol' Vera that she knew nothing about Floss & Neville's comings and goings, after "Pippa", Floss, Neville and Scott had that discussion earlier in the episode. Of course she knew or must have had some idea why Floss & Neville were driving out of the caravan park with all that luggage!!

Did you like the way Alf exploded into laughter when Vera told him and Alsa that she had just told Donald that they were no longer going out?

So, that's Ben back with his father and I know where the opening scene is from for a set of 1988 credits I'd seen.Another good episode - isn't this almost the start of the Bobby/Fisher relationship.

Also, here's the scene counts for the first 53 episodes, with the number of scenes followed by the number of episodes. Lynn and Alf are surpising IMO, around Episode 47 Lynn got 4 off the lead.

Pippa 237 (34)

Frank 236 (39)

Tom 227 (35)

Lynn 219 (31)

Bobby 217 (34)

Carly 209 (33)

Steven 201 (34)

Ailsa 148 (35)

Floss 146 (27)

Alf 134 (33)

Neville 129 (32)

Lance 124 (28)

Sally 119 (27)

Martin 111 (24)

Fisher 104 (30)

Roo 96 (21)

Celia 66 (21)

I really enjoyed todays episodes - the Bobby/Fisher relationship beginning though neither know of their shared blood at this point and a main theme throughout the year. One thing I am confused about is Matt being credited in every closing credits.

He's appeared in 9 episode for a total of 16 scenes. I keep on waiting for him to play a more pivotal role and each episode he's never there.

What a shocking end to today's episode! (No not Lynn crying at Church :lol: ) but Sandra being knocked out by her father. I must say, this storyline is great and I am enjoying it so much!

I agree about Bobby and Fisher, Ryan. It seems Fisher really cares about Bobby and wants her to succeed. She is such a loud mouth and it was funny to see Fisher do what he did.

Yeah and why is Matt credited in every episode? It is a bit weird because he hasn't appeared properly for weeks. :huh:

I thought Floss and Neville's reactions to Scotty turning up in Episode 51 were a little theatrical and flawed, even in the language constraints of Home and Away. You wouldn't say "Oh Lord" and roll your eyes when you anticipate a serious family barney brewing. And Pippa pretending to be crying when chopping onions for a joke was hillarious. Now, can you honestly imagine Debra pulling that one off? :rolleyes:

I thought Floss and Neville's reactions to Scotty turning up in Episode 51 were a little theatrical and flawed, even in the language constraints of Home and Away. You wouldn't say "Oh Lord" and roll your eyes when you anticipate a serious family barney brewing. And Pippa pretending to be crying when chopping onions for a joke was hillarious. Now, can you honestly imagine Debra pulling that one off? :rolleyes:

I always find it hard to imagine Debra doing Vanessa's storylines and then the same with Debra's storylines. I find it hard to imagine Vanessa doing Debra's storylines when they are supposed to be the same character. The problem was Vanessa and Debra had different views on how Pippa should be.

Archived