1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to react to the last few episodes, but although they've been a bit weird, I've oddly been enjoying them. Plus I feel Lyn has been due a storyline, even if she has been very unconvincing in her portrayal in certain points, but on the whole I'm enjoying it. I still think it's ridiculous that she ran away over a dog!

Anyway, The Early Years are quite comforting to watch and good escapism while I'm stressed at uni!

As for episode 12, I thought it was interesting. Not great that I have to watch "Nico" and Lance share a scene, as they're both highly annoying, but I still love Martin, he's just pure comedy and I love him. I admit I was rather shocked that entire scenes were conducted in Greek, I thought it was Italin but someone earlier pointed out that it was Greek, I wonder why they didn't include subtitles?! I do wonder what is wrong with this Nico guy, is her meant to be just stupid or is there an underlying mental condition?

Carly's acting like a total brat, I don't see her getting a job, so she should be grateful that Tom is at least supporting the family, even if he is a labourer. I love Bobby too, she's a great character, so lower-class, but a wonderful character. I think she's very pretty too! :)

The affair plays a slightly larger part in Block 4 or 5, when Roo tries to dig up the dirt on Ailsa and Alison Patterson gets hold of a love letter.

I have to agree with your regarding Milco - a buried memory of her brother as ultimately a good resolution compared to just an imaginary friend and they appear to have researched the continuity as well.

Is the frankly brilliant scene in 350 episodes time where Dodge gets Sally to admit he's not real, the last time Sally ever believes in him?

That scene was fantastic - it was possibly the best acting from a child I have ever seen.

I think the impression was to try and create the fact that they were in some way alienated from the town with Nico having his mental handicap and Mrs Pappas not knowing a word of English, a problem shown later when Alf tries to communicate with them. I think the problem is not so much in that scene occurs, it's that it goes on for two minutes and for two minutes, we don't have a clue what's going on. Now this might prove some sort of storyline or character points, but it makes for slightly dull TV.

I never realised Celia played what is almost just a cameo role these first few episodes, just randomly popping up in a scene or two. I knew she didn't have many major stories (in fact, off the top of my head, I struggle to think of major Celia stories), but so far, in 8 episodes since her arrival, she's appeared in 6 scenes!

Anyway, onto todays episode. I thought it was better than the previous episode, though this Variety Night seems to have been taking forever to appear. It was mentioned in the Pilot and everyone seems to be preparing for it, so it better be something good!

Wooh - quadruple post!

First time I've ever seen Episode 15 and convinced me I'm going to enjoy the show more once I gret out of these episodes that I've already seen before.

Anyway, episode count - Lynn and Nico appeared in five episodes; Tom, Pippa, Frank and Alf appeared in four episodes.

Oh, and the first sighting of Sally's friend?

milkov.jpg

Just watched episode 14. Thought it was ok. I thought Sally was really sweet, drawing a picture of a dog to entice Lynn back to the Bay. I find it strange how much screentime Sally is getting though, does Kate receive the same amount of screen time from the beginning of the show right up until she leaves school around age sixteen? The reason I ask is the kids on the show these days don't get anywhere near as much attention as they obviously did in those days. VJ for example is hardly ever seen, and Ryan wasn't much either when he was on the show, but Sally seems to be getting as much screen time as all the other regular characters. I think it's a good thing though, and it's obviously a controbuting factor to the legend that Sally becomes.

I'm still not keen on Tom and Pippa I'm afraid. I just don't find them particularly endearing characters, Michael and Pippa are much better later on.

Just watched Episode 15. As the episodes go by, I'm starting to think more and more that this show feels so far removed from Home and Away today, that it feels like an entirely different show. I'm enjoying watching the eps nevertheless. I think watching scenes in Greek probably has a bit of an effect on things. I'm wondering where they're going with this plot because I'd imagine Nico and his grandmother are guest characters, but the cliffahnger was that he may go to a psych ward so maybe this isn't the last we've seen of Nico?

I really don't understand Tom. It was obvious that Lynn wasn't in danger, but he just up and left in the middle of work and I found that rather strange and admit, I was actually more on the side of the employer. I also didn't understand why he couldn't see Pippa and Frank's point of view that they should perhaps wait for Lynn to come home.

The acting by the actress that plays Lynn is truly appalling, I have to say.

Was I the only person that was shocked when someone threw a rock through the Greek families' window and shouted "wog"?! :o :o x 3!

Archived