1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I thought the same about Lynn looking into the camera - maybe she did it once too often and it was that reason she was let go..... :wink:

You really can't imagine today's show dedicating this amount of episodes to such mellow storylines as a stray dog - though really it's just setting us up for the first

'Summer Bay Stalker'

type storyline if you will :P

I thought the same about Lynn looking into the camera - maybe she did it once too often and it was that reason she was let go..... :wink:

You really can't imagine today's show dedicating this amount of episodes to such mellow storylines as a stray dog - though really it's just setting us up for the first

'Summer Bay Stalker'

type storyline if you will :P

I wonder when they killed Eric the Dog that they had this storyline in mind or if it was just to have Lynn running away at the end of Episode 10.

Episode Count: Pippa and Tom appeared in every episode this week, Alf and Eric the Dog appeared in four, though Alf is a fair way down the Scene Count chart which will be on the site within the next few hours.

Bevan Lee has alluded to this in interview, after Sons and Daughters which was very much a soap of it's time with huge power-hungry warring families, they tried to do away with the melodrama, but they cut it down too much. They also apparently and I think I read this in Andrew Mercado's book, they tried to make each week self-contained or something and after a few weeks they realise this wasn't working and so they did away with it. I think the show is supposed to really take off about Episode 40.

That's right - Bevan mentioned in the book that they wanted to 'de-soapify' it with storylines which could conclude each week, but they then found that there was nothing to draw people back in the following week - the show came close to being axed but Alan Bateman managed to keep it going for long enough to gain some stability

Episode 40 is 8 weeks in, I am surprised it lasted that long at the pace it's been going! The pilot was good enough as it was an introduction to the characters. Kate Ritchie is the one person that stands out in the first few weeks - the school scene where she is being picked on over Milco (which we saw again in that montage 20 years later) really stands out. Even Roo seems tame the first few times we see her!

Archived