The Location Thread

ctang

How can bright 'sunshine' flooding the sets make them look 'dull and dingy'? I dont get that. I know I've read elsewhere how someone wished Summer Bay House was back to being the way it was during the 90's... i.e simple, basic as that was all they could afford...etc But it has to be remembered that a well paid (presumably) doctor has lived there since then.

I really disliked SBH redecorating when it was first done, but now they have altered all the lighting the colors aren't so glaring and nasty looking. Leah's kitchen is really nice, sunny etc but I wish they'd kept the fireplace.

I love the beach house set now its been redecorated and the new lighting, although we havent seen a lot of it this year. I think the farm has to be one of my current favorite sets though.

Don't get me wrong, some of the new lighting/sets look great (such as the farm, the diner, leahs kitchen - though I agree about the fireplace aswell - etc) and of course they have to change and be updated, I just wish they were done more gradually, with some explantion and perhaps a bit more sympathetically to the characters living in the houses - the SBH set was redecorated in colours that i honestly cant imagine Miles or Alf ever choosing for one thing. And Leah's living room is dark beyong belief new lighting or not. It just appears to me that they all have the same 'look'.

I like Leah's house and I love the wallpaper in the living room. I think the new lighting is doing wonders for the realism of the sets. I think it makes the back yard areas of the sets much more realistic. The one set I dont like and that I never really have is the school. I also have issues with the caravan park exterior which I've explained earlier on in this thread.

I like Leah's house and I love the wallpaper in the living room. I think the new lighting is doing wonders for the realism of the sets. I think it makes the back yard areas of the sets much more realistic. The one set I dont like and that I never really have is the school. I also have issues with the caravan park exterior which I've explained earlier on in this thread.

I do agree about the back yard areas looking much better, they were always very fake looking, now they actually look more like a small back yard lol. I also agree about the school - I preferred the original school set, before they burnt it down in the bush fire of the 90's. It's always seemed abit of a strange set the later/current school set, horrible dreary colours and in need of a injection of life in my view lol. I think it would be nice if they gained abit more sense of place with the interiors too, different areas of the school that could be shown regularly. you only ever seem to see one classroom and the corridor on a regular basis now lol

I think the school it supposed to have different levels, but they all have the same layout if you get me. If you look at the numbers and such on the walls, they sometimes change. Also I cant remember which storyline it was, but I remember a character running up and down the stairs coming to the same set, but it was supposed to be a different level, i.e different class' going on at the same time..maybe it was when Kirsty was taking her exams (?). I did like the 70's brick school back in the earlier years but I think the current school set is really well designed and seems quite timeless, there is the familiarity attached to it too yet it doesn't appear dated at all considering it was built in 1996, just feels and looks like a school would. I really wouldn't like them changing it now, Imo it would be just too much change.

Edited by alexx

Incidentally, in a slightly related note, this week's interior scenes mark the first to be filmed in 2010 - and subsequently the first to be filmed in the new studios in Redfern.

There is actually a 7 week gap between the filming of location scenes (filmed before the production break) and interior scenes from this week.

Incidentally, in a slightly related note, this week's interior scenes mark the first to be filmed in 2010 - and subsequently the first to be filmed in the new studios in Redfern.

There is actually a 7 week gap between the filming of location scenes (filmed before the production break) and interior scenes from this week.

I've often wondered, does this large gap between filiming interiors/exteriors have a bearing on the almost non existent exterior filming on location at the various houses? I've always thought it a shame that we don't see more of the exteriors on film rather than just stock shots, like we used to with Summer Bay House. I imagine it is probably logistically difficult given locations are probably scattered around (whereas in Neighbours the houses are obviously all in one place and very near the studios aswell) but it seems a shame. It doesn't help that the exteriors seem to alter with every stock shot shown lol

It's only this week on air that the scenes were shot that far apart - usually they're only a week apart.

To use these weeks as an example:

Week commencing 30th Nov:

Interior shots for Week 14

Exterior shots for Week 15

Week commencing 7th Dec:

Interior shots for Week 15

Exterior shots for Week 16

*production break*

Week commencing 25th Jan:

Interior shots for Week 16

Exterior shots for Week 17

So no, that has no bearing on the lack of exterior scenes at the houses.

Whilst the exteriors of most of the current houses are actually within a short distance of each other (the farm and Angelo's now non-existent house being an exception), I imagine it's logistically far more difficult to film at houses as opposed to just on the beach etc. where they have ongoing permits - all that can go through the council whereas with houses they need to talk things with the homeowners which takes more time.

I really wish they hadn't changed Leah's house location, this is the third house they've used now, it just looks silly, plus it makes no sense at all if all they are going to do is use stock shots. I also dont think its a good idea to have extras in stock shots, that guy with the red t shirt just so happens to walk past the house every time! :P

Likewise with the Beach House, they had a really nice house all throughout the 90's that became easily recognizable and helped build continuity, then they changed it around the same time as Leah's place.

Ah but the fun comes in guessing whether the guy in the red shirt will be with his lady friend, or just wheeling his bike! Certainly agree about the location though, not to mention the fact that the interior would be physically impossible to fit into that new house....

Same goes with the Beach House - why they ever changed that is completely beyond me, especially since they've never even used it for an exterior scene since it changed a decade ago. The only scene shown which was supposed to be outside the Beach House was when Irene was being threatened by those guys in 2000 - and even then they didn't use the correct location, just a random road next to the beach. And I'm still looking for that darned house in the stock shot....some scenes there could help considerably :P

If they're only ever going to use a stock shot then why not use the original one in Clareville to do just that.

It's only this week on air that the scenes were shot that far apart - usually they're only a week apart.

To use these weeks as an example:

Week commencing 30th Nov:

Interior shots for Week 14

Exterior shots for Week 15

Week commencing 7th Dec:

Interior shots for Week 15

Exterior shots for Week 16

*production break*

Week commencing 25th Jan:

Interior shots for Week 16

Exterior shots for Week 17

So no, that has no bearing on the lack of exterior scenes at the houses.

Whilst the exteriors of most of the current houses are actually within a short distance of each other (the farm and Angelo's now non-existent house being an exception), I imagine it's logistically far more difficult to film at houses as opposed to just on the beach etc. where they have ongoing permits - all that can go through the council whereas with houses they need to talk things with the homeowners which takes more time.

I see what you mean. You'd think it might be possible though if they tried to form some sort of agreement with the owners of say three or four main characters houses, so they were permitted to at least film some stuff there. The scenes filmed outdisde Tony and Rachels not so long ago added a nice dose of realism to it.