The Location Thread

ctang

The original Beach House location page has now been updated, with screencaps and the other pics that were promised :wink:

Wow, it's cool seeing more extensive photos of the Beach house, and the interior is amazing. nothing like you'd imagine! I wouldn't say the layout was anything like it's onscreen counterpart though, unless an extremely vague one ie the kitchen's at the back and living area at the front. It's interesting that the latest onscreen redecoration is similar though in that it's very white and light like this is. i wonder if they were designing the Beach house now, as a new set (say like the Townhouse) it would end up more like this? It would look incredible. the real life version looks much bigger aswell than its onscreen incarnation. Thanks for uploading and updating it, its great to see! :)

I wouldn't say the layout was anything like it's onscreen counterpart though, unless an extremely vague one ie the kitchen's at the back and living area at the front.

Whilst its obviously not an exact replica, it does bear similarity and they evidently took the shape of the house into account when designing the set.

All I've done below is rotated the staircase, and knocked down a few walls to open it up a bit more, and you've got the onscreen version. The living/dining/kitchen areas are basically the same, and the bathroom is in the same place. Before they added the bedroom at the bottom of the stairs it would have been even more similar with the boatshed remaining as it is in reality.

floorplans.jpg

Obviously its nowhere near to scale - the right hand wall needs to come in considerably now :P

Thanks Dan, great update! Also seeing the view of the beach from the house reminds me of the backdrop photo/painting they use or did use, it is definitely taken from that angle becuase I remember it having a grassy area, then the beach beyond that fence. Its interesting to see the floor plan side by side like that, it really is very similar.

Edited by alexx

I wouldn't say the layout was anything like it's onscreen counterpart though, unless an extremely vague one ie the kitchen's at the back and living area at the front.

Whilst its obviously not an exact replica, it does bear similarity and they evidently took the shape of the house into account when designing the set.

All I've done below is rotated the staircase, and knocked down a few walls to open it up a bit more, and you've got the onscreen version. The living/dining/kitchen areas are basically the same, and the bathroom is in the same place. Before they added the bedroom at the bottom of the stairs it would have been even more similar with the boatshed remaining as it is in reality.

floorplans.jpg

Obviously its nowhere near to scale - the right hand wall needs to come in considerably now :P

It looks much more similar on the plan I have to say lol it's harder to tell by the photo's. It still begs the question, why the change to a house that is nothing like the origianl for those silly stock shots lol they seemed to make more effort in the past it seems to me to make the interior fit the exterior even if it wasn't necessarily obvious onscreen.

That was here in Newport, just around the corner from the Townhouse location (filmed on the same day)

Ooh! Thanks! Very prompt reply indeed :) I thought it was nice to see somewhere "real" i.e. with actual cars driving past at the top of the T-junction in the background. It gave the show a bit of realism.

That was here in Newport, just around the corner from the Townhouse location (filmed on the same day)

Ooh! Thanks! Very prompt reply indeed :) I thought it was nice to see somewhere "real" i.e. with actual cars driving past at the top of the T-junction in the background. It gave the show a bit of realism.

I agree, it's nice when they film 'on location' other than in the bay. I always remember them going to 'the city' (i always wondered where exactly 'the city' was) in the early 1990's when they were looking for Sophie, a bit like they did when Miles was looking for Mel. An interesting comparison, similar stories, years apart! Were they filmed in similar areas or totally different? And was/is 'the city' meant to be Sydney.. Melbourne.. or another mysterious place no one knows the name of? lol

'The City' was always meant to be Sydney, though I believe they never named it at first to make Summer Bay's location a bit more ambiguous (can't remember if there's actually been any Early Years eps to prove that wrong so far...)

From what we've learnt on screen, though it seems to change every so often, Summer Bay seems to be a couple of hours south of Sydney (they tend to talk of 'going up' to the city). There was a couple of other times in the 90's with Meg & Blake staying in a hotel overlooking the Sydney harbour, Shane & Angel going to the opera house, and of course the 'Secrets and the City' spinoff in 2002. They tended to stay in the harbour area in those eps - the 2010 opener with Derrick, Martha and Angelo in Chinatown was a nice change. Oh and I've just remembered Irene and Dylan going to Josie's brothel which was Potts Point, slightly away from the CBD.