The Location Thread

ctang

Ah but the fun comes in guessing whether the guy in the red shirt will be with his lady friend, or just wheeling his bike! Certainly agree about the location though, not to mention the fact that the interior would be physically impossible to fit into that new house....

Same goes with the Beach House - why they ever changed that is completely beyond me, especially since they've never even used it for an exterior scene since it changed a decade ago. The only scene shown which was supposed to be outside the Beach House was when Irene was being threatened by those guys in 2000 - and even then they didn't use the correct location, just a random road next to the beach. And I'm still looking for that darned house in the stock shot....some scenes there could help considerably :P

If they're only ever going to use a stock shot then why not use the original one in Clareville to do just that.

I deffo agree about the beach house, the original one was very distinctive and since they never film anything actually at the exterior they shouldve just kept that as a stock shot. Or have Irene move! lol I think they are abit sloppy when it comes to fitting the interior to the exterior, even the original Beach House didn't fit the interior - didn't it have a round part, not seen inside? lol I find it very hard to work out how far apart they all live from each other, and how they live in relation to every where else, partly due to the lack of location filming around the houses but also even in the scripts (and those stock shots).

In reality the round part of the old Beach House is a small boatshed at ground level, with the master bedroom above it - which is in fact the only room on the first floor. I think with the angle they used they could pretty much get away with that though, as you couldn't easily tell that there weren't more upstairs rooms to the rear of the property.

I can't recall if we ever saw the master bedroom at all in the 90's....

In reality the round part of the old Beach House is a small boatshed at ground level, with the master bedroom above it - which is in fact the only room on the first floor. I think with the angle they used they could pretty much get away with that though, as you couldn't easily tell that there weren't more upstairs rooms to the rear of the property.

Ahh that's interesting, was the round boatshed ever meant to actually be seen as part of the Beach House (ie not a boatshed but part of the downstairs) or was it asumed that viewers would see it a a boathouse and therefore not seen as part of the interior? I always remember not long after the first time the interior was updated (to the browns and blues) the bedroom at the bottom of the stairs mysteriously appeared from nowhere lol I don't recall seeing any upstairs in the 90's and very little of it in the following years either. I think it's a pity we don't see all sides of the rooms, as we now do with the new Diner set, it adds a bit of interest I think!

Ahh that's interesting, was the round boatshed ever meant to actually be seen as part of the Beach House (ie not a boatshed but part of the downstairs) or was it asumed that viewers would see it a a boathouse and therefore not seen as part of the interior? I always remember not long after the first time the interior was updated (to the browns and blues) the bedroom at the bottom of the stairs mysteriously appeared from nowhere lol I don't recall seeing any upstairs in the 90's and very little of it in the following years either. I think it's a pity we don't see all sides of the rooms, as we now do with the new Diner set, it adds a bit of interest I think!

One thing I did notice in last nights episode was Leahs living room had brightened up considerably - it seemed no where near as dark as it had, to me at least, since it had been redecorated. We didn't see very much but there was definitely more light lol

Well they never tried to hide the boatshed doors, they were always visible in the stock shots, so I imagine we were to just assume that it was just that. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember them using it at one point for some reason or another....

Ah but the fun comes in guessing whether the guy in the red shirt will be with his lady friend, or just wheeling his bike! Certainly agree about the location though, not to mention the fact that the interior would be physically impossible to fit into that new house....

Same goes with the Beach House - why they ever changed that is completely beyond me, especially since they've never even used it for an exterior scene since it changed a decade ago. The only scene shown which was supposed to be outside the Beach House was when Irene was being threatened by those guys in 2000 - and even then they didn't use the correct location, just a random road next to the beach. And I'm still looking for that darned house in the stock shot....some scenes there could help considerably :P

If they're only ever going to use a stock shot then why not use the original one in Clareville to do just that.

Ah yes!!! I know, what a brilliant location and it was right next to the beach. They probably only had a couple of dozen location scenes there throughout the 90's, but it really was very recognizable via the stock shots. I agree, they should really go back to using that house again. I assume they built the interior layout based on the outdoor location becuase, Imo it does fit rather well, in fact much better than the one they currently use. I can easily image there to be more than one room upstairs, I always imaged that huge bay window area to be a grand landing/hall way at the top of the stairs where the rooms would come off from at the back of the house.

Edited by alexx

Oh yes the interior could definitely fit into the real life location. Here's a floorplan of the actual house, and whilst its a bit more open plan - and there's an extra bedroom out back and along the 4th wall where Irene's dining table and TV are - its pretty much the same kind of layout, give or take a few walls.

beachhousefloorplan.jpg

That's not including the pool and garage out the back which I cropped out though :wink: I've got some pics of the real interior too which I'll get up onto the site at some point

Oh cool! That'd be really interesting to see. The layout really is similar, thanks for that...I wonder what the reason was for changing the location... I think it would be really beneficial to have it used again and utilize the garden area and beach, though I can imagine it wouldn't be as easy as that what with the permission required etc I think the last time we did actually see the outside of the house, though I could be wrong, was in 1999 after James banned Diana from seeing Olivia, she was standing on the beach staring at the house, Irene and Chloe watching her threw the blinds, then Chloe went out and they came to a understanding after Diana broke down about loosing Lachie.

Edited by alexx

Oh cool! That'd be really interesting to see. The layout really is similar, thanks for that...I wonder what the reason was for changing the location... I think it would be really beneficial to have it used again and utilize the garden area and beach, though I can imagine it wouldn't be as easy as that what with the permission required etc I think the last time we did actually see the outside of the house, though I could be wrong, was in 1999 after James banned Diana from seeing Olivia, she was standing on the beach staring at the house, Irene and Chloe watching her threw the blinds, then Chloe went out and they came to a understanding after Diana broke down about loosing Lachie.

I remember that scene now you mention it - they don't bother with that sort of scene now do they lol what does the current house look like they are using for the beach house? I've only seen it briefly in a couple of stock shots, but not properly. I wonder if the interior would actually fit into it!? It's interesting that the layout is very similar to the original house (except when they added the bedroom at the bottom of the stairs - in reality the boathouse lol), but you'd never know it just from the brief stock shots/those rare snippets of scenes at the houses which is a shame. I think Marthas farm is one of the most successful new interiors as you're more aware of the exterior in relation to the interior if that makes sense?