Exams '09

Guest .Amy.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer Exams start next Friday, I'm totally excited... considering the first two exams are on my birthday... :P I haven't done much revision, once again.

First two are Maths and Geography, the latter being my worst subject! On Monday we have Irish and Science, and that's all I can remember. Gonna fail Geography and Irish.

• 2 weeks later...

Okayy, have had my first four exams.

Maths - Total fail. Got like 2 questions out of the lot.

Geography - Surprisingly went well! :o

Irish - I actually kicked that exam in the butttt!

Science - Erm, I don't wanna talk about it >.<

CSPE, English, History, Home Ec, Business and Italian to go.

I'm done with 1/4 after today. Norwegian (main language) which for me means Bokmål today, went surprisingly well. I didn't think it would go bad, but I actually think I managed to do pretty well. And that feeling of doing well scares me a little bit :P

Tomorrow I have nothing, then there's Norwegian (additional language) which for me means New Norwegian on Wednesday. Then There's culture and communication on Friday, and that's all the written exams. Then some time in June there'll be an oral exam, but I don't know what or when yet.

And speaking of exams, funny story, and another reason not to trust guys, apparently. My friend, let's call him T was supposed to pick me up on his way to school today. Now, according to normal driving standards, involving trivial things such as traffic rules, he lives about 45-50 minutes away. We had to be there at 8.30, and no later (or so I was told, turned out it wasn't so strict after all as long as you showed up before 9, but this was my first written exam at this school, so I didn't know). T said he'd text message me when he left home, so when it was ten to 8, and I still hadn't gotten a message I decided to text him in case he was sleeping or something (I wasn't worrying about him being late, cause he usually drives a tad too fast, so I assumed he'd make it.).

Anyway, he replies that he's awake, home and stressing. Fine. I leave my house around 8 to make sure I won't cause any delay for him. When I've walked for a few minutes, T texts me with "I hope the road's clear and the police stays home, cause I'm leaving home now!".

Around 8.10 I'm starting to get nervous he won't make it on time, so I call another friend, H, who lives five minutes away from me. He says he'll drive me, and that he'll leave his house in 15 minutes. Hm. 8.10 + 15 minutes + 5 minute drive, then +10 minute drive from me to school, with a guy who as opposed to T, doesn't break any speed limits.... And I have to be there 8.30... Goodie.

I was sure I wasn't going to make it at all (both my parents were off to work with their cars, so it wasn't like I could drive myself either.)

Magically though, H managed to pick me up around 8.25, and he slooooooowly managed to get us to the school (I'm not a fan of driving like a maniac, but when you're that late to an exam, I think maybe it's time to use fifth gear and ignore the 60 km/h sign just a little.... It wasn't even rush hour for christ's sake!) and even T made it a few minutes later. He later told me he actually left home around 8.10, so the speed he was driving at... Let's not go there. :P

Let's just say I'm not one who gets nervous for exams, or for anything really. But today I got a little nervous. And I'M driving for my other two exams this week, trust me :P

I'm in my final year of high school (18 years), so that means I have four subjects. Three are written and one is oral.

Social studies - I think it went okay.. The tasks was a bit different when expected thought

Norwegian: Nynorsk - It went really good actually! I liked the tasks we could choose from :)

Norwegian: Bokmål - Haven't had it yet, but I think it will be okay!

Oral: I don't know the subject yet, so can't comment on that.

So how does your exams work? I've heard that we have quite a different system here in Norway, so I'll explain how it is for us in the final year.

WRITTEN: In Norway we have two written languages, and it's obligatory to have an written exam in the one that's your main one. They aren't that different, it's just the spelling that varies.

You get to know what other subjects you are up in approx two weeks prior to the exams. In some subjects a preparation part is handed out the day before the exam, so that you know what to prepare yourself too. Everyone gets a day of before their exam.

The examination last for 5 hours and should most oftenly be written on a computer. Every aid is allowed, except communication and using the internet. How the tasks is formed depends a bit on the subject, but you are supposed to write one or several long texts to answer the tasks.

-- MATHS: Here you have the same rules, except that the exam is divided in two parts. The first two hours are completely without aid (including your calculator) while in the last three hours every aid is allowed.

ORAL: You don't know when your examination is are what subject you are up in until 48 hours prior. Then you'll get to know what subject to prepare. In these 48 hours you are going to make a project for this, that you'll present for the sensor in Power Point and talking (without notes). The presentation should last for 15 min. After the time's up, the sensor will be asking you questions about the subject or your presentation for 15 minutes. Then you're done!

Sorry for the looong post and all my spelling mistakes, but I've never written about exams in english before :lol::rolleyes: Please tell me if you want me to try to explain better!

Archived