Exams '09

Guest .Amy.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, my exam is over ! Did it today :) Go 5, or A , I'm not sure, how should I write it. :D So happy that it's over. I kinda thought that I would be more nervous, but I wasn't which was a good thing :)

Good luck for everyone, who is going to do their exams !

I'm in my final year of high school (18 years), so that means I have four subjects. Three are written and one is oral.

Social studies - I think it went okay.. The tasks was a bit different when expected thought

Norwegian: Nynorsk - It went really good actually! I liked the tasks we could choose from :)

Norwegian: Bokmål - Haven't had it yet, but I think it will be okay!

Oral: I don't know the subject yet, so can't comment on that.

So how does your exams work? I've heard that we have quite a different system here in Norway, so I'll explain how it is for us in the final year.

WRITTEN: In Norway we have two written languages, and it's obligatory to have an written exam in the one that's your main one. They aren't that different, it's just the spelling that varies.

You get to know what other subjects you are up in approx two weeks prior to the exams. In some subjects a preparation part is handed out the day before the exam, so that you know what to prepare yourself too. Everyone gets a day of before their exam.

The examination last for 5 hours and should most oftenly be written on a computer. Every aid is allowed, except communication and using the internet. How the tasks is formed depends a bit on the subject, but you are supposed to write one or several long texts to answer the tasks.

-- MATHS: Here you have the same rules, except that the exam is divided in two parts. The first two hours are completely without aid (including your calculator) while in the last three hours every aid is allowed.

ORAL: You don't know when your examination is are what subject you are up in until 48 hours prior. Then you'll get to know what subject to prepare. In these 48 hours you are going to make a project for this, that you'll present for the sensor in Power Point and talking (without notes). The presentation should last for 15 min. After the time's up, the sensor will be asking you questions about the subject or your presentation for 15 minutes. Then you're done!

Sorry for the looong post and all my spelling mistakes, but I've never written about exams in english before :lol::rolleyes: Please tell me if you want me to try to explain better!

Oh, I assume your first written language is Nynorsk then? Cause I had my bokmål exam today, and I'm doing nynorsk on Wednesday :)

Oh, I assume your first written language is Nynorsk then? Cause I had my bokmål exam today, and I'm doing nynorsk on Wednesday :)

Yes, nynorsk is my first written language :P I'm just as good in bokmål as in nynorsk, so it doesn't really matter to me what is first and second!

Wow you're lucky then, I guess that's the upside of nynorsk being your first written language, cause with all the bokmål all around that must be easier to learn as a second language than nynorsk is for people who have bokmål as their first, like me :P

Anyway, Social studies, by that do you mean the politics & human rights subject? Or do you have sociology (I don't know when that exam was since that's a vg2 subject and none of my friends has it)?

Some of my friends had the p&hr exam on Friday and they were surprised because they thought the task was so good considering the preparation stuff.

I'm just glad I got Norwegian for two of my written exams, cause there's not really anything to prepare for :P

If I had something else I'd get a preparation day, but instead I get tomorrow off :P

I have a question about the Norwegian system.

Don't you have exams for all your subjects? You can't have only 4 subjects, can you? :unsure:

In Belgium, we have exams for all our subjects (with some exceptions depending on our school and/or what we're studying).

Good luck to everyone who has exams in the next few days or weeks! :D

No, basically we have a pretty weird system. When you graduate junior high, you have your first exams. It's one or two, depending on the school. If you go to a big school you're likely to get an oral exam OR a written exam, but if you go to a smaller school, you might get both.

High school is three years (I'm just talking about the college preparatory course here) . The first year (vg1) you have all mandatory subjects in school, and the only options you have is which C-language you have, and what kind of math you have. At the end of the year you may get one exam, but it's not mandatory, so some will get an exam in one subject or another, while others wont.

In your second year (vg2) you choose 50 % of your subjects, so it's 15 hours a week of mandatory common classes, and 15 hours (three subjects x five hours) of electives. At the end of the year you have to have one exam. It can be written or oral, and any subject really.

In your senior year (vg3) you have to have a total for four exams; three written and one oral. Your schedule is pretty much the same as in was for vg2, with 50 % electives. Anyway, for exams, one is the same for everybody. We have two different written languages in Norway (they're very similar though, most Norwegians will have no problem understanding both perfectly) and you have to have an exam in the one which is your first written language. You also get two other written exams, in other subjects you have (for example you can get an exam in your second Norwegian language) and it's the same with the oral exam, where you can get pretty much any subject.

Basically the system works in a way where you are randomly selected as a group to have an exam. A class will often be divided, so some will get one subject, other will get another, and it's totally random, not based on individual grades or anything (usually they just divide from an alphabetical list).

So to sum up:

10th grade: one or two exams, random subject and form of exam

vg1: maybe one exam, random subject and form of exam

vg2: one exam, random subject and form of exam, in addition maybe one more exam, but that's unlikely

vg3: four exams, one mandatory Norwegian written exam, two random subject written exams and one random subject oral exam.

Did that make sense at all? :unsure:

I have a question about the Norwegian system.

Don't you have exams for all your subjects? You can't have only 4 subjects, can you? :unsure:

In Belgium, we have exams for all our subjects (with some exceptions depending on our school and/or what we're studying).

Good luck to everyone who has exams in the next few days or weeks! :D

No, we don't have exams for all our subjects. This is how it works

We are only three years in high school

Year 1 (16-17yrs): If you are very unlucky you might have to have one exam

Year 2 (17-18yrs): This year year you have to have either a written or oral exam, only subjects your finishing thought (I think)

Year 3 (18-19 yrs): Obligatory norwegian main language, two written exams where the subject is drawn and a oral exam that is also drawn.

Wow you're lucky then, I guess that's the upside of nynorsk being your first written language, cause with all the bokmål all around that must be easier to learn as a second language than nynorsk is for people who have bokmål as their first, like me :P

Anyway, Social studies, by that do you mean the politics & human rights subject? Or do you have sociology (I don't know when that exam was since that's a vg2 subject and none of my friends has it)?

Some of my friends had the p&hr exam on Friday and they were surprised because they thought the task was so good considering the preparation stuff.

I'm just glad I got Norwegian for two of my written exams, cause there's not really anything to prepare for :P

If I had something else I'd get a preparation day, but instead I get tomorrow off :P

Yeah, I'm quite lucky in that way :) It's a bit annoying when I take notes in class thought, 'cause I mix it all together! But I don't do that on exams, I check the spelling multiple times to be sure.

By social studies I mean "sosialkunnskap", it's kind of like sociology but you kind of go a little further. The sociology subject from vg2 is divided in two; politics & human rights and social studies/knowledge or whatever :P

I think I got it. It's a complicated system though. It's funny how most countries all have different systems.

In my senior year, I had 8 written and 6 oral exams. <_<

The worst part about exams is when you have two exams on the same day. In my first year of uni, it was actually even worse. We had a Dutch grammar exam in the morning and an English grammar exam in the afternoon. Then there was another day where we also had an English exam in the morning and a Dutch one in the afternoon. They could have put both Dutch exams on the first day and both English exams on the second day. <_< How many times didn't I think of the Dutch word when I needed the English one and vice versa? :rolleyes:

Archived