Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't expected any change really, it's created solely for the international market so probably isn't high up in priorities. As closing titles go, I think they're certainly the best ones from recent years purely for their simplicity, just a long nice shot approaching Summer Bay.

There isn't really an expectation for Mike Perjanik to create a new theme when he no longer works on the show, I know his son Nick consulted him on the last version but still...

Saw it last night.

When the hell are Seven going to change that ending, or don't they give a crap about the International syndication without which there would be no Home & Away?

It looks inconsistent and unprofessional and makes a mockery of the show that they're using an end credit style from two (?) generations ago. I mean, seriously, why not just stick the credits from the pilot on the end and see if anyone notices?

If Seven don't want to make a set of international credits consistent with the style of the rest of the production, then they shouldn't have any and just have the credits underneath the "Next Time" promo like in Australia.

It just screamed massive lack of attention to detail.

@Dan - you're right, but they've got really boring now. It feels like it's been there for years! It wouldn't be that difficult, though, to record a new backing track and lay Luke and Tarryn's vocals over that.

We just had the 2013 season premiere here in the UK, and I was far more interested in the new opening than Heath's fate!

Visually:

I think the new title card(s) is a big improvement. I had no problem with the 'Home and Away' written in the water- style that we've had for the past couple of years, but it was past its best in its most recent form. It's also nice to have actual people in the title card too, something we've not seen since 2008. This shouldn't really be of note seeing as the show is about the characters, not so much the location. Overall they are fresh and modern, and I really like them.

I'm a bit disappointed to see black 'widescreen' bars remain through the recap, but it's inoffensive and simple.

Audio:

When I first heard the new opener/recap music I wasn't impressed. In my opinion the opener/recap music used between June and December 2012 is the worst version there has ever, ever been, and so I was disappointed to note that the 2013 version is based on a very similar structure. Luckily, instrumentally it is far more interesting, more befitting the tone of the show, and less like the opening music to a holiday show (or something). I also really like the constant electric bass guitar (?) and subtle piano notes, replacing the intrusive drumming and jangaly guitar of the previous version.

• 6 months later...

Archived