Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

I think TPTB sees it as being able to afford more time for scenes rather than using it up for the opening credits.

Well, they never seemed to have a problem with time for scenes in the past when we had opening credits. :rolleyes:

They were part of the identity of the show, which has been totally decimated now.

I don't agree with their stance at all but I'm just trying to understand why the opening credits would be removed in the first place.

That's the only logical conclusion I can reach so far.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the 2015 titles will consist of?

Probably the same style as 2013/14 but with updated beach shots. There could be a slightly altered recap tune too.

I never understood why they stopped using opening credits for Home & Away

Network 7. I would imagine there has been research into viewing habits, and statistics probably showed that each program has the first 30-45seconds to 'grab' the interest of the viewer, and stop them from changing channels.

This is why dramas usually have the recap first to grab you with exciting scenes from previous episodes and give you a taste of what's coming up. You may also notice that reality shows/documentaries often start with a 30-60second summary of what's coming up to keep you hooked. They often do this following ad breaks too.

The best you can hope for are 15-second openings such as that of the 2009 season, but with the way it was received they probably won't try that again. However I would argue that viewing habits have changed and people watch programs on demand, so opening credits/titles should return.

The only way I can really imagine the opening credits returning in some form (15 seconds or otherwise) is if the show had a new team come on board, change the direction of the show, re-brand it, change the underscoring, just completely reboot the format and (hopefully for the better) change the writing style, types of characters they introduce and the general tone of the show. Then they may be able to persuade the network that a 15 second opening will really help move the show forward and create excitement/set the tone for this new and improved H&A, otherwise I think it's just going to seem dated and pointless to Channel 7 or whosoevers in charge.

I like how they did different intro´s involing frames in different locations, underwater then beach. What if they made a new intro with round bubble frames in the air and we see different characters at the same frame and you can see the sky and maybe a fly fly by. How would that be?

Archived