Charlie Buckton - Esther Anderson

Dean

I'm one of the few that was glad that Charlie stuck by Angelo's side for weeks when the whole town was against him. She's loyal, and that's one of the things I really like about her. I also like how she speaks her mind about everything, esp towards Belle and Aden. They were wrong for having an affair behind Angelo's back and she let them know that.

I'm really looking forwards to Charlie next year and what story lines she will have.

Edited by Traceve

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Charlie's character and although like some people have said, she can seriously jump the gun about things, I have to say that's one of the things I like about her because it makes her vulnerable and human. She's passionate about what she believes in and loyal to her friends which to me is not a bad trait. I love that she's a character that the show doesn't try and saintify and that can do no wrong. I definately identify with characters that make their fair share of mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to love Charlie when she first arrived. She may have been a little to opinionated and stuff but it was interesting to watch how she would react to things. But now thats completely changed and I struggle to find anything in her scenes to make me like her again. It's also a shame because there was a time when I could have seen her becoming one of my favourites.

I remember Charlies apology to Belle in the police station sometime after the beating. It was when they told her about Nobby. And I was so irritated by it. It's like she basically said shes sorry that Belle had to go through that but atleast Angelo is off the hook now so that makes everything okay. I think with everything Belles been through and everything Angelo did actually do that isn't really going to mean much to her. Charlie even managed to make the apology to Belle all about Angelo.

Like I said I used to love her, especially during the OC, but ever since she became Angelos personal cheerleader she just gets more annoying by the day. Not only because she feels the need to go off at everyone who doesn't see things her way but because of how unprofessional she has become. Ever since the investigation about Belles assault started she had been making excuses for Angelo on everything(even before she knew he was innocent). Wanting to protect your friend is one thing but as a police officer you'd atleast expect her to do her job properly or excuse herself from the case if she doesn't think she can be unbiased. As for the Belle/Aden stuff I think yes she had a right to be upset on behalf of her friend(and Belle did deserve those comments in the diner but thats all) but when she started going off at everyone else for being nice to them she made me mad. I'm sorry but did she honestly expect Roman to be mean to Aden(who is basically family) and hold it against him for what happened. Her comments at Romans place was uncalled for, she acted as if she walked in on Aden and Belle dancing away having a good time without a care in this world when they were merely having a quiet dinner at his own home. And I noticed she seems to have an opinion about everything when she thinks someone is doing something wrong but we are yet to see have a go at Angelo for all the stuff hes pulled( accessing Belles phone records, the continiuos threats towards her, harrassing Aden during his community service and willing to jeopardise the future of a teenger and be smug about it). But apparently because he got cheated on and was accused of something he didn't do(which she didn't know at the time that he didn't do it) that makes all those stuff he did do acceptable to her. It not wrong at all and how dare anyone treat Angelo as anything but the saint he is. I find her to be the biggest hippocrite at the moment. The way she used to preach on about what being a good cop was all about when she first arrived, now look at the way shes been handling that investigation. She has the nerve to be upset that Aden would accuse her of giving Angelo special treatment yet thats exactly what she was doing since the investigation began. I mean who tells a suspect facts about a case. Who discusses private information with them. And when all the evidence points to him still makes excuses for him. If thats not special treatment I don't know what is.

I know a lot of people like Angelo and Charlie together but I feel like ever since they've been spending lots of time toghether all her irritating traits have become more annoying whereas a few months ago I used to find her insecurity and opinions entertaining to watch even if I didn't agree with them.

As for the way she goes on about Roman you would think he was a horrible monster. I mean seriously, would she rather him stay with her even if his heart wasn't in the relationship. I think he did the right thing by ending it instead of stringing her along when he couldn't see a future for them.

Long post, I know. But I'm glad I got that off my chest. It's just that this womans hypocrasy and inability to see reason and respect that not everyone is going to agree with her on everything is getting on my nerves. And it gets tiring to read when some people on different sites praise her for being a good cop when she acts more unprofeesional then even Jack. I think it's starting to say something about her ability to do her job right when I'm starting to see Jack of all people as the good cop in the room.

Edited by Jody

Charlie Charlie Charlie!

When she first joined I didn't like they way she talked to Roman and Morag and especially the way she thought she was better than the rest of the characters, she didn't seem like a very nice person but since then her relationship with Roman she I think has mellowed and I dont hate her but she will never be my favourite character neither, I think her relationship with Ruby is great though, just like a true sisterly relationship and how it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

Words can express how much I utterly loathed Charlie when she first arrived.

But then I came to realise that she's one of the only characters that a complete personality transplant worked for. One minute she was all fired up, mouthing off at anyone who would listen and then suddenly she was just OK about everything - at the time I thought it was inconsistent writing, but it was one of the few times where I was willing to overlook it.

However, as time's moved on, I've grown to realise that actually, she didn't have a complete personality transplant. My initial problem was the way that the writers forced her upon us, in this worked up state of attack which has since recurred. What made it so unbearable during her first couple of weeks is that we had absolutely no idea where it came from - and the snippets we did have, I didn't feel any sort of emotion towards (though this could be attributed to Esther Anderson, who has come on leaps and bounds as an actress since those first couple of weeks in my opinon). The thing I love about Charlie is that when she gets herself into one of her frenzies (and I use the term endearingly as I do genuinely like the character) we know it's coming, but not only that - she knows its coming too, but she can't help herself. To me this is her biggest flaw, and it's often the flaws of a character that make them more interesting for me. I can follow the psychological journey her mind takes, and I'm fascinated by it's inevitability.

What consolidated my love for Charlie was one line at the end of last year (which unfortunatly I can't remember exactly, but you get the jist): "It's not bravery when you don't care what happens to you". For that was a very powerful moment for the character, exposing a raw fragility that we hadn't seen before, at least not to those depths. I very much look forward to seeing where she progresses next from having this sort of attitude and how she copes with her feelings for Roman and Angelo - one thing I'm certain of though is that it'll be very much Charlie's own way of coping. Another consistently written character who ticks all the right boxes for me.

I think she is one of the weakest actresses Summer Bay has seen for sometime.

I agree. Her relationship with Angelo needs investigating. Jack came to her with concerns and she dismissed him. The way she talks to everyone. I would not put her in charge.

As for her sister Ruby. I think that she doesn't give a care what happens.

I think the fact that she's practically taken charge and raised Ruby when her parents seperated, her mother died and her father distanced himself proves that statement wrong.

I'm not gonna lie, the girl bugged the crap out of me when she first appeared. The hot headedness was far from appealing and she appeared to think she was better than everyone else. But If you bothered to read any sort of sub text before long you would realise that's not the case and all and it's her defense mechanism to coping with low self esteem. She is irrationally and irritating paranoid. With Roman you could tell every two minutes she was worried he was cheating on her. She's fiercely indeendant and she puts up this tough barrier around her which makes it hard for her to let people in. She's also big on the self pitying thing, BUT that said I've found her becoming a favourite despite myself.

At first her going off at Aden and Belle in Aden's house bugged me but looking back on it, the fact that she did it all gives her a big thumbs up from me. Someone had to and showed an incredibly loyal side to her- defending Angelo when no one else would because she knew the way he was being treated was wrong. She speaks before she thinks, which isn't always the smart thing but it's real. She doesn't talk BS and the softer more vulnerable layers that have been exposed of her character are actually really nice to watch. I really like teh dynamic between her and Ruby as well. Even though she's the older sister she seems to need Ruby's advice a lot and it shoes how close they are.

I'm looking forward to seeing more layers unfold.

Edited by Jamey-Maria

I for one love Charlie. I love the fact that she doesn't care what people think of her, she speaks her mind even when people don't want to hear it. Ok she does have a lot of moments when she speaks before she thinks but I just find it endearing.

She's insecure, paranoid and pretty vulnerable and she knows it and doesn't try to hide it or pretend that she's not. Like the way she would be all paranoid with Roman but then admit that she was in the wrong and apologise, until it all happened all over again. Maybe I'm supposed to find that annoying but I don't, I just think it's sweet and entertaining to watch.

I also love the way she stood up for Angelo when the whole town was against him, even though he was the one who got cheated on. I loved the way she believed he was innocent, considering that he hadn't been proven guilty and that Belle hadn't actually seen him hit her. That girl's the only one with any common sense in the Bay at the moment.

I loved Charlie in the first episode of the year, I'm slowly starting to see her as the sort of unsung hero at the moment, someone who does what needs to be done to help but doesn't necessarily love basking in the adoration and praise that may come with it. I mean, first she risked her life to save Annie in the storm drain and then she pulls Kane out of the car without so much as a thank you. Whereas Angelo was praised immensely for pulling Martha out of the school hall.

I am really interested to see how her character develops this year, I think she has really grown as a character since she started on the show and we are finally starting to see what is beneath her facade and strong, independent exterior which is great. I can't wait to see more Ruby and Charlie scenes as I really like their relationship on the show.