Charlie Buckton - Esther Anderson

Dean

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi people, just dropping by quickly to remind you that you shouldn't discuss spoilers here unless they're relevant to the ongoing discussion, and if you need to mention a spoiler, please remember to use spoiler tags so that members who do not want to read spoilers can avoid them.

I'll ignore that you-know-what spoiler. I have to say I've really warmed to Charlie lately, she's a very watchable character. Her tough, no-nonsense personality is one that in a woman is often brushed off or belittled as being a "bitch". But Charlie is not a bitch, she's extremely strong, and unwilling to compromise her professionalism, as we've seen recently in the way she dealt with Angelo. I love how she didn't take any crap from him and made him continue with the walk-through at Jack's murder scene, despite Martha's presence, and I feel sorry for Angelo, but it doesn't make me respect or admire Charlie any less. When Charlie first arrived, I wasn't so sure about her, I thought she was a bit too frosty, but now we've seen a human side to her, I like her very much.

I agree. I absolutely love Charlie (yes, I know I'm like a broken record here :P) and I think it's great how they have let the character develop. At first she was very frosty, but it always seemed like she was very insecure, and like that was the reason for her cold behaviour. I like how they've managed to still make her a little cold and closed, while also showing that she actually has a more human side. I might be biased because I love her so much, but I think Charlie is one of the most realistic characters we've seen in a long time!

It’s been a while since I last posted in here (mainly because it was on Mod preview then and I didn’t want to encounter any spoilers). Anyway at UK pace I’m a week into 2009 and my thoughts on Charlie haven’t changed that much other than the fact that I absolutely love her at the moment.

I’ve been looking through some previous posts (mainly on other threads) and can see that some people didn’t like the way she conducted herself by having a go at Belle at Roman’s place regarding her treatment of Angelo. My view is that I was glad she did that as it was good to see someone stick up for Angelo as everyone was against him at the time. Yes he shot Jack but in my opinion that event (and anything happening immediately after his break up with Belle) is completely irrelevant in regards to her actions towards him beforehand. Belle absolutely deserved it. The only issue I had is that I don’t think it was the appropriate time or place for her to raise that particular point.

Regarding Roman I was in two minds about the whole thing. When he first started going out with her he said he wanted to keep things casual because at the time he had too much going on to commit to her fully and she agreed. Even then I felt she always liked him a lot more than he liked her. I remember one episode where she was over at his place making dinner and he was pretending to be asleep and she told him that she thought she was falling in love with him (the way he rolled his eyes when she went into the kitchen was priceless) and I guess the signs where there from then. Shortly afterwards she went on a date with Angelo (who treated her far better than Roman did up to that point) because he was totally neglecting her. He annoyed me when he uninvited her from the memorial for his unborn child. I could almost feel the hurt she displayed (and even Nicole who wasn’t her favourite person at the time could too). It was only when she finished with him then he found on the beach did he tell her that he actually wanted a relationship and even then I felt his heart wasn’t fully in it.

They then started going out properly and most of the time things seemed ok. As someone that really wanted things to work out with them I started to worry when Martha came round to Roman’s to visit Morag and she got sick and Roman went after her on the beach. Charlie spotted this and got the wrong end of the stick as when Roman got home she went into mega defensive mode and accused him of wanting to spend time with her rather than his own girlfriend. She then felt like a complete idiot when he told her that his main reason for spending the day with Martha was so that she could help him by a gift as he didn’t trust his own taste. When she sought him out in the Den and they made up at this point he looked as though he’d had enough and I guess that was the beginning of the end.

Going back to her outburst at the dinner that evening, I actually thought that was an excuse to break up with her rather than an actual reason. And I was a bit surprised that Charlie didn’t put up more of a fight to keep him. Perhaps in her heart of hearts she knew that he was never really into her. I was a bit annoyed with Roman because I thought Charlie was the one doing all the legwork in their relationship and he was just going out with her because he wanted someone to sleep with on a regular basis. But you could argue that he did the decent thing and if he was in love with someone else what was he supposed to do.

I can understand why people don’t like her. She’s high maintenance, judgmental (the way she had a go at Nat regarding her parenting of Nicole), sanctimonious and at times seems to adopt a shoot first ask questions later approach. During her time with Roman I felt occasionally she was a bit immature. It was almost as if she hadn’t been involved in an adult relationship before. However a lot of her negative traits can attributed to one thing – insecurity. So when she reacts it’s almost like a defence mechanism.

Ironically I like the fact that she isn’t perfect as I feel it makes the character a lot more interesting and aside from that I feel she is a warm hearted, loyal and deep down a good person that desperately wants love. And there have been quite a few times when she has done things to genuinely help other people, such as arranging for the helicopter to find Nicole and Geoff, letting Nicole off when she was driving without a license, sticking up for Angelo and risking her life to save Annie.

I remain undecided about her and Angelo but that looks as though it's over before it's even started. Ideally I would like her and Roman to get back together but that’s never going to happen so friends it is.

Edited by Slade

I agree. I absolutely love Charlie (yes, I know I'm like a broken record here :P)

:lol:

Roman treated her like absolute crap from the time their relationship started till it ended. He never made any time for her. Then dumped her because he's still in love with Martha. Rude much?

I'm so over Roman and Charlie as a couple, I couldn't really feel the love from the start though. Her and Angelo however, now that was an awesome pairing. They understood each other, made time for one another and they were just hot. :wub:

I do think that Charlie needs to stay single for a bit now though before hooking up with Leah :P Which will probably never happen anyways. :(

Really looking forward to Monday. Bring on the Melbourne scenes!

I agree. I absolutely love Charlie (yes, I know I'm like a broken record here :P) and I think it's great how they have let the character develop. At first she was very frosty, but it always seemed like she was very insecure, and like that was the reason for her cold behaviour. I like how they've managed to still make her a little cold and closed, while also showing that she actually has a more human side. I might be biased because I love her so much, but I think Charlie is one of the most realistic characters we've seen in a long time!

I missed this post the first time round. I thought it was a bit odd how completely unlikeable (i.e. sending Morag the text messages, trying to intimidate her when she was off duty after Morag had to swerve to avoid hitting her whilst she was on her mobile and then when she was blatantly rude to her in the Den). Then all of a sudden she became really nice. Don’t get me wrong because she still had outbursts but she just wasn’t as bad as she was in her first few episodes. Maybe the writers changed their mind about the character and thought that she wouldn’t have been sustainable long term if she was constantly acting like that.

I do think that Charlie needs to stay single for a bit now though before hooking up with Leah :P Which will probably never happen anyways. :(

Haha, I've been thinking the exact same thing, Charlie and Leah would make a GREAT couple! Although, as much as I'd like to see that, I think I still might prefer Charlie and Angelo though :P

Oh your not wrong there that coat looked awesome! I think it's so sweet how she never told Miles and then she told him and they had this moment which just made me go Aww and forget all about Leah and made me want to ship Miles and Charlie!

Looking forward to tonight's episode for another Charlie/Miles heavy ep!