Back to the Future

Guest solaris

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Adopts a head mistress pose*

I've cleared up the questions of Aden's guilt complex (chapter 11) and Nicole's embarrassment (chapter 12). How much more do you expect young lady? *taps foot*

*End of head mistress pose*

It will take some time for the whole Simon/explosion/Aden/Belle conundrum to be cleared up...but here may be some answers about the scar coming soon(ish)

:D

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

"i'm sorry miss!!! i will pay more attention, i should be more greatful" *scared/worried look on face*

see you write such a good fic it just keeps me wanting more and more!!!

I'll let you off then lol.

Another day, another update. This chapter is really a preparation chapter, it sets the platform for what is to come and brings a few more answers a lot closer.

Please keep the comments coming and happy reading.

Chapter 13

Monday mornings, she hated Monday mornings! The first day of the school week was demoralising, it meant that there were five days of purgatory to endure. This Monday was particularly hateful, after her actions yesterday she didn't want to leave the house never mind go to school. She was guaranteed to bump into Geoff, the very last person she wanted to see any time soon! Not that she had a choice in the matter, her dad would be on her case if she didn't move soon - plus she was still on daily detention all this week and part of next! She didn't want to get in any more trouble thank you!

Dumping her bag at the bottom of the stairs, Nicole mooched into the kitchen to get some breakfast. Joy oh joy, Aden was just finishing his own meal...damn!

“Good morning Nicole, how are you today?”

His grin had bad boy written all over it, he was up to something.

“You are far too cheerful for this time on a Monday, what gives?”

“Oh nothing much, I'm just in a good mood however I'm sure the same cannot be said for you. You will take care not to seriously corrupt bible boy won't you?”

With a laugh that made her want to hit him, he swung out of the kitchen and grabbed his bag on his way out. She banged her head against the door frame, if Aden already knew then who else? Her appetite gone, she picked up her bag and headed for school.

A shrill whistle pierced the air.

“Geoff, wait up!”

Geoff's head whipped round in surprise, why on earth would Aden be wanting to talk to him? He told Annie to go on ahead, she baulked a little but did as he asked. Geoff waited for his nemesis to catch up.

“I saw Nicole this morning, she wasn't looking happy! I think she just may still be embarrassed by her actions, today could be interesting!”

Aden clapped him on the shoulder and left him stood there, his shock complete. Geoff pulled himself together and headed to school, was he suddenly living in the twilight zone? Everything was going crazy around him, or maybe he was the one going crazy. He really didn't know any more. He was so caught up in his own thoughts as he headed to class, that he didn't see Nicole until he literally bumped into her.

“Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going.”

He sent her a half smile and stood back for her to enter ahead of him, at least he wasn't far enough out of it to forget his manners! Nicole didn't even acknowledge him, she just scurried past and sat in her normal place. Dismissing her lack of manners with a mental shrug, Geoff went to his own seat.

This had to be the closest place to heaven it was possible to be and still be work! Belle was five hours into her first day and loving it, she still couldn't believe her luck! She'd spent the morning shadowing one of senior photographers, now she was looking for new photographic equipment and working out what she'd need to buy. Her mobile buzzed, signalling the arrival of a text – it was from Aden. She chuckled when she read it, 'Nic not happy, still embarrassed lol. How's work?'.

Belle had been highly amused when she'd found out about Geoff and Nicole, however she was also more than a little worried. Nicole came across as a proverbial man-eater and Geoff was not equipped to handle her, but here was nothing she could do. With that she sent a reply 'Work's great, worried about Geoff though'. Turning her attention back to the kit in front of her, she was surprised by an immediate response 'Don't be, he's dealing better than she is. Coffee, diner, after work?'. She gave him a time and got back to work.

At school, Aden had been engaging in some people watching. Not his usual past-time but then, he didn't often find people interesting. Today was different however, the whole Geoff and Nicole issue had caught his interest. The naive bible boy was keeping his head down and getting on with his day, while the 'city sophisticate bad girl' was walking on eggshells – taking great care to avoid both him and Geoff! He glanced at his watch, it was almost time to go to class and that would be the end of his entertainment for a while seeing as he was a year above them. Maybe it was time to shake his house mate up a bit? He'd just started heading her way when Geoff came round the corner. As soon as Nicole saw him she backed up, bumped into the lockers and proceeded to drop everything she'd been carrying. At that point, Aden turned and headed in the opposite direction. She didn't need him to shake her up, she was antsy enough as it was.

“Let me help you with that”

At the sound of Geoff's voice, Nicole almost tumbled backwards but his hand on her shoulder prevented it.

“Ok now? Got your balance?”

Blushing scarlet – again – she nodded, picking up some of her books and standing. Geoff had picked up the rest and handed them to her with a smile, before picking his own bag up and heading off. Now she was the one who was confused, Geoff was acting as if nothing had happened...as if she had never kissed him! It would have made her feel a bit better if he'd at least been shaken up by it as well, but oh no he was being Mr Super Cool.

Aden and Belle were in the diner when Nicole arrived, she tried to walk straight past them but Aden called out to her.

“Hey Nicole, had a good day?”

Her eyes flicked in his direction and she blushed but made no comment, choosing instead to head for the relative safety of the kitchen.

“You're being mean, you know that right?”

Aden grinned, there had been no heat in Belle's comment and she was struggling to keep her face straight.

“She's been asking for this for a long time, it's no more than she deserves.”

Belle had to agree, it really was just deserts. Just then Geoff walked in, spotting Belle he went over.

“Hey, had a good first day?”

His grin was easy, with little to allude to the discomfiture of the previous day. The little chat he'd had with Aden had obviously been good for him, although Aden had refused to divulge most of the content!

“It was excellent thank you.”

She ought to have left it there, but the urge to tease was just too strong.

“Maybe you'll modal for me some time.”

She casually covered her mouth with her hand to hide the smile, Geoff went red to tips of his ears and raised his hands in defence.

“Nuh uh! Sorry Belle, I don't think so. I'm not modal material...I don't believe it, you got me again!”

All three laughed openly, Geoff wasn't as easy to bait as he had been but Belle could usually catch him out.

“Nic was skittish today, she was dropping stuff left right and centre.”

Belle eyebrows met her hairline at the shortened name but she let it pass, that was something she could pursue later.

“Wasn't she just! Someone managed to thoroughly rattle her...”

“Seems that way! I'm gonna get a drink then I'm outta here, I've got assignments.”

Geoff left Belle and Aden alone again.

“Did he just manage to miss the point of what I said?”

Belle laughed.

“I do believe you're losing your touch Aden!”

The look of mock outrage he aimed in her direction just made her laugh even more, he gave up.

“C'mon little miss professional photographer, you coming for a swim?”

She rolled her eyes at the reference to her new job but agreed, they headed to beach. It wasn't long before they were playing in the water like children, throwing wet sand at each other and generally acting as if they were closer to nine than nineteen. They were running back up the beach to their towels when Belle saw the scar again, she couldn't let it go this time.

“How did you get the scar on your back?”

Aden froze, he knew exactly what she was looking at. The scar in question was on his left shoulder blade, he'd had it for years but had never told anyone how it had got there. Forcing himself to relax, he picked up his towel and dried off. He looked at Belle, she'd also started to dry off but her attention was focussed on him.

“That scar is part of another chapter in the dysfunctional life of Aden Jeffries.”

Belle continued to look at him, questions in her eyes.

“It sounds like there were a few of those chapters.”

The smooth 'statement of fact' manner made him feel better, at least there wasn't any pity in her tone.

“You could say that! After mom died, there weren't to many chapters that were anything else.”

Belle stepped closer to him, her hand coming to rest on his arm in a gesture of reassurance.

“Was it your grandfather again?”

Aden's laughter was humourless, he knew now that he couldn't avoid sharing yet another humiliating fact of his childhood.

“No, not my grandfather...not that...not his style. My father, the scar was thanks to my father.”

Archived