Back to the Future

Guest solaris

:lol: Geoff's a little slow there about him ratteling Nic up... :P

“I want the abs back that hooked Belle's attention.”

^ along with every other girl on this planet :wub:

not sure about the ending.. i think an update shall fix it though..

:D

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back again. The chapter is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, enjoy.

Warning - Implication of sexual abuse, some mild language

Chapter 15

There was a crash as the door to Aden's room slammed back into the wall, Roman stood in the doorway surveying the scene. Aden was sat on the floor in the corner of his room, his knees were tucked up to his chest and he was hugging them tightly. When taken with the uncontrolled shaking it was clear that he'd had another nightmare.

“What's happened?”

Roman glanced over his shoulder.

“I'm not entirely sure, will you go back to your room please?”

Nicole nodded and left without argument.

“Aden?”

Aden's head snapped up, his eyes wild with terror. As he focused on Roman, a measure of calm started to return.

“Sorry”

Aden's voice was quiet, shame tingeing the single word.

“I woke everyone up.”

Leaning against the door frame, Roman rapidly assessed his options.

“There's no need to apologise, it's not like you could have controlled it. Do you want to talk?”

Aden grimaced, instinctively cringing away from the thought.

“Not really...not at all actually! Doesn't change the fact that I probably need to.”

Roman nodded, he was familiar with the sentiment even if the subject matter was different.

“You want to talk here, or take it downstairs?”

Aden inclined is head towards the door and stood up, he felt like a condemned man making his last walk. Following Roman into the living room he curled up on the couch, the posture was protective but he didn't care. While his friend knew a fair amount about his past, they'd never discussed the details. The thought of another man knowing this stuff, especially a man he come to respect, was beyond abhorrent. Roman sat and waited, he knew that Aden had to set the pace here. It had been several days since he'd had any issues sleeping, as if starting to sort through the quagmire of emotions he felt in relation to Belle had helped him. Although maybe it had, could it be that actually talking about the past had opened the door to the next set of problems? A possibility for sure, traumatic experiences often layered themselves. Each layer having to be faced and dealt with, before the next one would surface. God knew, the young man in front of him had experienced more than enough trauma! As he sat there, Aden slowly lifted his head to look at him.

“The dream started off good...really good, I'd been thinking about Belle and she followed me into my dreams. I guess that sounds kinda corny but it's true. Anyway, it was...it was like it used to be between us.”

His voice cracked a little, he was crying again! God, he was such a wimp, how could he call himself a man? He had to continue, his only comfort was that no-one could despise his weakness more he despised it himself.

“We...well...I guess...oh hell! We were starting to make out!”

He jammed his hands through his already tousled hair, the temptation to yank it was strong – just to transfer the pain.

“It changed. The dream changed, it wasn't Belle any more. It was...it...”

He glanced at Roman, wishing that he'd just finish the sentence. Cowardly perhaps but much easier. As if he could read Aden's mind, Roman just waited. Aden had to do this, however hard it was.

“My grandfather, she turned into my grandfather.”

The tears were streaming down his face again, he couldn't look up. A handful of tissues found there way into his clenched fist, a glass of water onto the table in front of him.

“You have nothing to be ashamed of and hiding your face won't change what happened, I'm proud of you. You've lived your own version of hell but you've come though it strong, you're a good kid.”

Roman left after that, Aden needed time to think without the pressure of an audience.

How much time passed, he didn't know. Eventually he went to bed, so exhausted that he slept without dreams. The following morning he left before Roman got up, he was working at the diner that afternoon so he'd have to face him soon enough – too soon.

He arrived on time for his shift, school had dragged and there hadn't even been any Geoff and Nicole observations to amuse him. He was still tired, drained after the emotion of the previous night. However, he had commitments and this was one of them. Looking around, it was very obvious that he was in for a manic shift. Talk about bouncing! Ah well, at least it wouldn't give him time to think...or Roman time to talk. Walking into the kitchen, he was surprised to see someone else there...Belle.

Hearing someone come in, Belle turned and smiled. She'd been pretty confident that it would be Aden seeing as he was due to be working, but it shocked her just how pleased she was to see him.

“Hey, how are you?”

Aden shrugged and put his apron on.

“Ok I guess, had a tough night but it happens.”

Belle's smile was sympathetic, she touched his arm gently as she passed him to get to the fridge.

“Yes, it happens. If you need to talk, you know where I am.”

Aden's eyes narrowed, he'd always been able to read Belle pretty well and she was hiding something. Probably trying to protect him from something, he thought in exasperation. How long was it going to take for her to realise that such attempts were worse than useless?

“You may as well tell me!”

She turned to face him, eyebrow raised and head tilted just so. The look just begged for a kiss but this wasn't the right time to try and push his luck.

“I know something is worrying you, I've always been able to tell. So, what gives?”

Belle looked at him, from the distance afforded by a text massage she could just about get away with it – in person...never!

“Just a feeling, something was...off. I don't know, I'm probably turning paranoid and jumping at shadows.”

She carried on with her work and Aden left to get started on his, he wasn't happy. Belle was not the 'jumping at shadows' kind of girl. If she was uncomfortable about something then... He didn't get a chance to finish the thought, all hell broke loose as a scrap erupted between two boys and milkshakes went flying. The rest of the evening was just as chaotic, the diner was packed and that caused it's own problems. Drinks being spilled a people tried to move around and tempers fraying due to waiting for meals and drinks.

Aden entered the kitchen loaded with dirty plates and set them down, retrieving his order pad from his pocket he passed on the drinks orders he'd taken and paused for breath.

“What's it like out there?”

There was a dry amusement behind the question, as if Roman already knew the answer.

“The lunatics have taken over the asylum! Either that or it's a full moon!”

Belle's rich laughter washed over him, she'd stayed in the kitchen with Roman and both had been working flat out to meet demand.

“You'll be quite at home then won't you?”

“Ouch, you wound me babe.”

His grin flashed as he collected the next table's orders and exited at pace.

“It's good to see the two of you getting along again, good for both of you I think.”

Belle smiled, she liked Roman and his dry humour matched hers well. It made working together easy, his quiet manner also made him easy to talk to.

“Yeah, well...it's good for me at least.”

By the time the rush had died down, Aden had more than worked his allotted shift. Roman told both him and Belle to go home. Belle wasn't going to argue, it had been a long day and she'd only agreed to work as a favour because Colleen wasn't feeling well.

“I'll walk you home.”

Belle didn't argue, truth be told she didn't want to walk home on her own. She was still creeped out from yesterday. They walked in silence, content to enjoy each others company. When they reached the beach house, she turned to face Aden.

“Thank you, I appreciate you walking me back.”

Their eyes met, a thousand thoughts and feelings passing from one to the other. Without conscious thought they moved closer, Belle's hand lifting to rest over the steady thud of Aden's heart. His own hand lifted, finger tips skimming her cheekbone. A memory flashed back – his dream from last night – but he dismissed it. This was Belle, she was real. They stood for an eternity, or was it just seconds? Neither knew...or really cared.

Archived