What things never made sense to you on Home and Away?

cymbaline

3 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

I agree with all of this but just to add even as early as 1990 the producers definitely had their favourites Emma and Viv spring to mind from early 1990

That wasn't always a good thing. There were times in the early 90s when Home and Away seemed to be the Sophie Show. And there's only so much of Rebekah Elmaloglou shouting that anybody can take. She had a really irritating gasp/grunt thing she did before uttering just about every line. Somebody should've pulled her aside and told her to stop. Then of course, Angel came along and we got far too much Shane and Angel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

That wasn't always a good thing. There were times in the early 90s when Home and Away seemed to be the Sophie Show. And there's only so much of Rebekah Elmaloglou shouting that anybody can take. She had a really irritating gasp/grunt thing she did before uttering just about every line. Somebody should've pulled her aside and told her to stop. Then of course, Angel came along and we got far too much Shane and Angel. 

Especially in 1992, we were all like "FFS!" by the end and  even Rebekah herself was visibly burnt out.

4 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

So the Braxton Show or The Morgan Show is probably not new to H&A.

It's a totally different thing because stronger focus on characters like Sophie or Carly did not change the entire tone of the show. However, with the introduction of the Braxtons, the entire town no longer felt like Summer Bay.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Would Carly have let him inside the front door? Not that Pete was much of an improvement as it turned out. 

Carly wouldn't let Pete in the front door either. But Ben let him in. Carly is such a stuck-up snob whose ego needed to be propped up by Benny baby.

What Captain Hulk said about LukeDave being a plot device sounds plausible.

LukeDave should have at least returned to give Carly one last parting shot, or as an Army Sergeant who arrested Ben and took him to jail, never to be seen again.

Yes, I know you can have more than one army mate. But the reason I called this out was because "Dave" seemed to have been forgotten by Ben.

I think part of it with the Braxtons is Mangrove River & Yabbie Creek (for the Police Station) almost became as central to the show as Summer Bay rather than just towns somewhere nearby or far away but nearer than “The City” depending on the story. I assume New Yabbie Creek Road improved the drive time.

20 minutes ago, c120701 said:

I assume New Yabbie Creek Road improved the drive time.

There's certainly been some major tectonic plate shifting with those earthquakes - over the years Yabbie Creek has gone from 30km away, to 20km away, to the point where characters are now popping into the diner on a quick dash from the police station/hospital (as if there isn't anywhere in Yabbie Creek to grab a coffee and muffin) ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Carly wouldn't let Pete in the front door either. But Ben let him in. Carly is such a stuck-up snob whose ego needed to be propped up by Benny baby.

LukeDave should have at least returned to give Carly one last parting shot, or as an Army Sergeant who arrested Ben and took him to jail, never to be seen again.

Yes, I know you can have more than one army mate. But the reason I called this out was because "Dave" seemed to have been forgotten by Ben.

I have two theories on this. One is that Dave/Pete are basically the same character. They're both yobs who like getting drunk and actively try to undermine their friend's relationship. That's a lousy thing to do in my book, no matter how much you want your friend to be single.

The other is that Pete came along as a fresh pair of eyes and was horrified to see his henpecked mate Ben growing cabbages and living in a tiny pink cottage. He also sort of managed to succeed where Dave didn't. He got Ben back into the army but didn't get him to lose Carly permanently. 

I think Ben mentioned Dave when Pete let him know he was going to come visit. Ben assured Carly that Pete was a top bloke and that she'd like him. 

On 14/07/2023 at 21:46, Old H&A Fan said:

Always found it funny that you don't invert Luke's name instead of Dave, Will! ? Seeing as Dave appeared three years before "Luke". Shouldn't your 93 episode guides have instead read "A new teacher arrives in Summer Bay looking suspiciously like Dave but Alsa, Baby Sally, Samantha and the others insist on calling him "Luke" "?

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Haha 4