2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

The beginning of the episode was pretty much the epitome of lazy writing: No-one could think of a plausible way for Remi to just let himself get tied up, so it just happens between episodes.I know Remi isn't much of a fighter, but until then, Jacob didn't seem to have any leverage other than "being a bit scary": Suddenly, he has Remi as a helpless hostage and can get Bree to do whatever he wants by threatening and/or torturing him.And Remi's brainless behaviour from the previous episode continues to drive things: Theo even says that Remi would have told them if there was something important going on. I mean, you'd think so, wouldn't you? If he'd told them to call the police last episode, or done it himself, chances are they'd have caught Jacob at the motel, Remi wouldn't be in hospital and Bree wouldn't be missing.(Heck, the only reason he's not still tied up in that room is Mackenzie earwigging!)

I'm glad that Stacey and Rose's little bit of combat saw them earn each other's respect and become friends, leaving Xander utterly bemused as the pair even managed to double team him a bit!

I meant to say yesterday that I like how fond everyone is of John despite him getting on their nerves because they know his heart's in the right place, as with Kirby and Rose teasing him out of his latest strop. His trying to find someone to go in for a wedding present was very him, and he even managed to get the last word with Dean!

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remi getting his hand smashed in I wasn’t expecting till the finale so that was a shock Jacob was scary there and yes he was pissed at exactly my points but he just went about it in a wacko kind of wayDo I care about Bree and where she had gone no not really 

When I saw Kirby's reaction during the preview, I thought Jacob had done far more damage to Remi.  I did wonder when Jacob was walking around Remi's room and he picked up his guitar whether smashing his hand was a way of taking away something he loves because in Jacob's warped mind, Remi did the same thing to him re Bree.  To be blunt, given how unhinged Jacob is, Remi knew the risks getting involved with Bree.  Hopefully, the cops will find him before he harms Bree again.

I enjoyed the scenes with Rose and Stacey, especially Xander's bemusement when they were getting on.  I think them competing during Stacey's training sessions allowed them to both let out their frustrations with each other.  I'm still sceptical because I think it's in Stacey's nature to be polygamous but hopefully Xander really is different.

Tuesday - so, Jacob has devolved from spineless wife-beater to full-on supervillain who ties people up, smashes their hands up with hammers and threatens to murder them. Hopefully they can find Bree before Jacob has a chance to dole out a similar punishment to her. Not sure Remi was helping matters with his, "Yeah, I slept with her. And I did it the second you left town," which felt like an unnecessarily provocative detail - but regardless, a totally unhinged reaction. Kirby's decision not to tell Eden what's happened felt like a rather arbitrary drama-generator - but at least Rose and Stacey aren't at each other's throats anymore.

Wednesday - am I a terrible person for silently crossing my fingers when Kirby suggested Remi's injuries might impact Lyrik's capacity to play? Not that I wish him any ill, but nor do I want any more music videos. Otherwise a bit of a water-treading episode that suffered a bit for trying to push the Cash-Eden saga forward amidst more pressing matters.

On 28/02/2023 at 00:29, pembie said:

She then reports Jacob at this point there’s no proof of what Jacob has been doing and he hasn’t been there anyway and Bree runs around acting scared crying of what exactly without Jacob around there hasn’t been much story really he hasn’t really done anything on screen to Bree just that one episode  So he is technically just been reported for no reason anyway that is what I think I don’t really think the story has been shown realistically and been crap 

I can see why you might have frustrations with elements of how the story has played out, but my issue with this analysis is that there's a difference between not seeing all Jacob's violence playing out on-screen, and the violence not happening at all. Clearly we're supposed to take Bree at her word when she says that he's been serially violent towards her, and I don't see any reason to think that she'd be lying. So she isn't just reporting him for things we've seen, she's reporting him for what he's been doing to her for months or years, however long it's been. The first time we saw Jacob, Bree was obviously terrified of him, so we know him hitting her isn't a new development.

It did suffer somewhat from the fact Bree and Jacob weren't in the episode, so there's no direct follow-up on Bree's predicament beyond character saying "Any news of Bree?"/"No, sorry" every five minutes.I guess at least we had Remi as a continuing thread but he's mostly just shooting pained looks.KIrby keeps beating herself up over not telling the police earlier, with everyone talking around the fact that Remi didn't let her know there was a reason to call them.(Beyond a vague "Call them if you see that guy again.")I can understand Kirby not wanting to burden Eden with it (although I'm not sure how she was planning to explain Lyrik's no-show), but I can also understand Cash telling her.Of course, Cash is also ducking out of another conversation.It did at least let us see Kirby and Remi's friendship: They usually take it in turns to be paired with Eden.

Aside from a few more sweet moments with Tane, Felicity and Nikau, the only thing really on show was Dean being a total fish out of water at the birthing class, with Justin being experienced enough to know when you just have to listen to She Who Must Be Obeyed. Oh, and the coffee cart! When did we last see that? I'd pretty much forgotten it was a thing.

Giving TPTB the benefit of the doubt, I'm guessing Jacob threatened Remi he'd hurt Bree if he didn't let him tie him up so he couldn't interfere.  Jacob so far has only been violent  towards Bree and he did have Remi tied down before he smashed his hand so who knows how he would have fared if it had been a one to one fight.   Wouldn't have made such dramatic episodes and outcome if Remi had told them what was going on would it?   Overhearing things you aren't involved in do have good results sometimes.  Mac has been one of the few who knew who this mysterious blond guy was as she had met him at SALT and of course knew what he was like as Bree had let her in on the secret what he was like. Handy that eh? 

Another soap coincidence Kirby just happening to run into Rose so she could report what was/may be happening.  It certainly seemed to take a whiles for the cops to get to that motel, it was night time before they got there,  because of course no-one knew where it was so I'm guessing the cops had to contact the hospital to get Bree's address.  ?   It might seem Kirby is being superficial but to her seeing Remi's left hand smashed up would/could affect his whole future as a musician.  Would Jacob have really been thinking that far ahead, seeing Remi's guitar to smashing his hand?   Did anyone one of us or those in the know how unhinged Jacob was?   

Could he have booked a plane/train somewhere as he seemed  to be in a rush to get going. , I'm guessing he had a car somewhere? There is no way Cash should be blaming himself, it was WA cops Jacob evaded, he's only one cop and he didn't know the the full extent of Jacob's feelings about Bree.

None of us know the history between Jacob and Bree but tellingly she did say/yell at Jacob he wasn't the man she fell in love with so he hasn't always been like he is now.  Many couples spend months apart because of their work so if he is that possessive/obsessive  of her how does he manage to cope while he's away from her and not knowing what she is up to.   Does he build up all sorts of scenarios through his head? When we first saw her she was light hearted, flirted a bit with Remi, but shut him down when he came on too strong, though how was he to know she was married as she didn't wear a ring, none of us did.  He backed off and was just friendly when they met which is how Jacob first saw them and right away she changed, she was tense which wouldn't happen if your other half was fine with you talking to a member of the opposite sex.   We did get  a glimpse of his attitude towards women the way he spoke to Kirby/Eden(?) when she answered him back. 

I can see why Kirby didn't want Eden knowing what had happened with everything else going on with her life, but it couldn't be kept secret for long, it made it awkward for Theo sitting there hearing Eden going on about not being able to get hold of Remi.  Cash had to keep his mouth shut too. Then he had to break the news to her. This, of course, brought up that subject again of why he won't say how he feels about her.  They will have to break the bad news to Felicity and Tane at some time very soon. 

Away from all the bad news there was John trying to get people going in with him to buy a Wedding present for Felicity and Tane which didn't didn't work out.   

Roses and Stacey's contest ended up in a draw so for now they are friends so be afraid Xander, be very afraid, they'll be ganging up on you.  Btw I have noticed that when they come in they do tend to have left their balcony door open.  His reaction to seeing them coming in laughing, making him wonder who were they and what had they done with the real Rose and Stacey.  

That was very sweet with the scenes of Nik and Felicity making sure she had her wording right and fibbing to Tane when he wondered what was going on between them.  Felicity finding out she had some words were wrong were alleviated when he said he'd help her out.

I'm guessing the Parata's have got permission from their landlord to dig the hangi in their garden.

That birthing class isn't really either Ziggy or Dean's scene, certainly not what they were expecting, having to bounce about on space hoppers. 

21 hours ago, atrus said:

Tuesday - so, Jacob has devolved from spineless wife-beater to full-on supervillain who ties people up, smashes their hands up with hammers and threatens to murder them. Hopefully they can find Bree before Jacob has a chance to dole out a similar punishment to her. Not sure Remi was helping matters with his, "Yeah, I slept with her. And I did it the second you left town," which felt like an unnecessarily provocative detail - but regardless, a totally unhinged reaction. Kirby's decision not to tell Eden what's happened felt like a rather arbitrary drama-generator - but at least Rose and Stacey aren't at each other's throats anymore.

Wednesday - am I a terrible person for silently crossing my fingers when Kirby suggested Remi's injuries might impact Lyrik's capacity to play? Not that I wish him any ill, but nor do I want any more music videos. Otherwise a bit of a water-treading episode that suffered a bit for trying to push the Cash-Eden saga forward amidst more pressing matters.

I can see why you might have frustrations with elements of how the story has played out, but my issue with this analysis is that there's a difference between not seeing all Jacob's violence playing out on-screen, and the violence not happening at all. Clearly we're supposed to take Bree at her word when she says that he's been serially violent towards her, and I don't see any reason to think that she'd be lying. So she isn't just reporting him for things we've seen, she's reporting him for what he's been doing to her for months or years, however long it's been. The first time we saw Jacob, Bree was obviously terrified of him, so we know him hitting her isn't a new development.

I think it’s all lazy writing  And not at all believable for me anyway Everyone else seems to think the story has been good

Pretty much just set-up for the finale, although it was enjoyable all the same.Cash now has both Gary and Felicity on his back about doing exactly what he warned Felicity about: Rejecting a good person that loves him just because he's scared.Spoilers claimed Felicity hadn't seen her dad's ute since he died, which really doesn't fit in with the on screen back story of Gary keeping it at the farm while she was living with him and her going out and sleeping in it, so I'm glad the show got it right even if their publicity department didn't! Of course, it isn't a finale week without a potential life and death situation, even if most of us had probably forgotten about Tex and the revenge threats against Cash.

Dean keeps his record of getting thrown out of classes then.He and Ziggy could have done with being a bit less...them, but to be fair, the other guy was a bit irritating.Leah and her wedding cake obsession was rather fun as well.I was amused at Marilyn looking forward to see Lyrik:Assuming Remi's hand gets better, maybe she can attend their next gig?

Looking at the cast list, it seems one of the women in the birthing class previously appeared as one of Tane's one night stands! And Latest Dodgy Guy previously played a vampire in Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals, with our own Rebecca Breeds as his sister!

At least Cash opened up  to Eden even if it wasn't what she wanted to hear.  I didn't expect him to be that sensitive about his break up with Jasmine and that it affected him that much that he'd swear off falling in love again forever.  Gary may have got through to him but then it wouldn't be fair to try and get back with Eden again.  

Gary did say, good to se him again,  that Felicity used to sleep in their dad's Ute when they lived at his place, but obviously not seen it since she and Cash left.   She was stunned when she saw it, then the look on her face when it dawned on her whose car it was. Must admit it made me?

Did anyone else see the big ? waving about and hear  the alarm? ringing when Felicity said what bad luck could happen now, as we saw dodgy guy snooping around the Ute.  A new guy obviously, as he said to whoever he spoke to about  to let Tex know he'd fix it, from what little he said he or others had been keeping any eye on while it was at the garage. The trailer showed us it bombing along so of course there is an accident going to happen. 

That was funny in the Birthing Class and the typically bossy woman running it with her 'rules'.?   He, the other guy, was so irritating, with all his note taking, his poor wife/partner/girlfriend.  Did he really say he'd go through it if he could.?  I may be wicked but I hope it doesn't run to all his expected plans as he'd be very put out, saying "I haven't got that down in my notes".   Of course even non parents know everything doesn't follow the rule book.  

My heart was in my mouth twice when Justin was balancing that Wedding cake, it looked so precarious, he just needed to sneeze or cough (though not on the cake), hiccupp and he could have dropped it.   Heaving heavy engines about OK but carrying four tier Wedding cakes isn't his forte. 

5 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

I'm guessing Dean likely got chucked outta Sex Ed in High School for cutting up or if it was even taught in Mangrove River?

Dean is 29 so it depends when Aus schools started to run Sex Ed classes, but of course he and his pals knew it all anyway. ?

Archived