Best and Worst Characters from 1988-1996

Skylover

My least and favorite Guest Characters. 

My  least favorite was Barbara Stewart #2 version in 1996 as it was complete character  translate form most normal Stewart sister to most insane Stewart sister and what was point in just bringing guest character back seven years ago just to make in tempted murder for episode.

Glad they fix up in 2005 with Barbara returning back to normal and by original actress  and  thats why sometimes its better to leave characters in past if they just be ruined or complete change for worst if they return.

My Favorite guest was Morag   in  1993 as Morag  in 1992 was different to how she was in 80s and yet to how she was later on as Morag was not as nasty anymore in her words but she was nasty in her actions and lot devious in  her plans to take away and only to just  leave him boarding school. 

I think Morag was at her villainous in 1993 as she was so two face in making she changed and so fake nice and yet she was at her most devious and villainous.

At same time i think she generally was sad about Bobby  and regarts  not ever making up with her daughter while she was alive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/05/2020 at 20:04, cymbaline said:

I've also read that Belinda Jarrett didn't always get on with Les Hill and had trouble with Gavin Harrison as well. So maybe the powers that be decided that it was time for a change.

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

If I could find it, I'd happily share the source. I remember reading it somewhere and being a bit taken aback.

I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of the same article somewhere amongst my clippings, will try and dig it out tomorrow!

Not sure if it's the same one you saw, but the relevant extracts from the one I've got are below - it was in TV Times:

"While Karen was coping with problems on screen, I was having traumas of my own" says Belinda. "I know I became difficult to work with. Now I realise I was too young to cope with the stress of being in a popular soap."

And co-star Gavin Harrison (Revhead) would certainly agree. He admits Belinda's behaviour resulted in the pair having a far from loving relationship off screen.

It's mentioned that it was her grandfather and aunt dying in quick succession that caused things to get on top of her, and it ends with:

But now, with Home and Away behind her, Belinda has shaken off her depression and believes she's learned a valuable lesson. "I'm older and wiser now" she admits. "I still want to act. I just hope I'm given another chance"

Thanks for sharing :)

I guess that must be why Karen was relatively a short-lived character. I know we had quite a few short-lived regulars in the early days, but Karen's stay felt quite brief compared to her peers. Does anyone know what Belinda Jarrett is up to these days?

Yes I guess that answers much of why Karen was removed from the show. It's nice that they brought her back for a short stint in 1993 though. I hope she managed to mend some bridges. It doesn't seem like she really got that second chance though. Other than a role on the famous movie "Muriel's Wedding" I don't think she did anything else of note and probably stopped acting long ago.

As for the character. I vaguely remember something about Blake saying she was doing well in one of his returns.

On 30/05/2020 at 19:26, Sally Keating said:

Yes I guess that answers much of why Karen was removed from the show. It's nice that they brought her back for a short stint in 1993 though. I hope she managed to mend some bridges. It doesn't seem like she really got that second chance though. Other than a role on the famous movie "Muriel's Wedding" I don't think she did anything else of note and probably stopped acting long ago.

As for the character. I vaguely remember something about Blake saying she was doing well in one of his returns.

2002, Ahead of the Mirigni disaster.

It was mentioned in '94 that Ailsa had gone to see both of them, indicating that Bridges had been rebuilt somewhat.

4 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

2002, Ahead of the Mirigni disaster.

It was mentioned in '94 that Ailsa had gone to see both of them, indicating that Bridges had been rebuilt somewhat.

Oh yes, I forgot that. Did she say anything about them on her return?

It's funny that when Karen is arrested, Alf is quite sympathetic towards her and is shocked that she is eventually jailed when he was sure she was going to be able to come home. Fast forward to when she gets out of jail and he's all "That girl is trouble, Ails. I don't want her in this house". LOL. I guess he had a change of heart over the years, perhaps from visiting her in prison and seeing how "bad" she'd become.

• 1 month later...

Update on Karen.

Karen seemed to lose interest in Mark Smith and didn't really put much effort into having a relationship with him, then he quits and moves to Yabbie Creek High (760).

Revhead started stalking her in Episode 766 and Alsa immediately notices. Karen apparently rejects his advances at this stage, and tells Alf and Alsa so. Alf lights up like a flamin' thunderstorm whenever the subject of Revhead is brought up.

Then in Episode 770, this is when things really start to go downhill. Karen is on a terminal downhill slide, when she starts accepting him, and calling him "Morris". At the end of 771, they kiss on the beach (gross)

Karen starts wagging school (771) and at the end of that episode is questioned by Alsa after she finds holes in her story about why she was absent from school. Karen is forced to admit she's going out with "Revhead". Alf again lights up like a flamin' thunderstorm, and for the next few episodes he and Alsa keep Karen under stricter and stricter supervision. Alf explodes each time he sees Karen and Revhead kissing (and can you blame him?). "Revhead" quits the Boatshed leaves town to help his sister who has moved to the city. Karen tries to act out unrealistic hopes of going with him to live there. She accuses Alf and Alsa of driving him out of town.

I am now up to the episodes where she is apparently testing Alsa for double-standards, because she says there is inequality where Blake and Hayden were allowed out all night to house-sit Ben's farm, and Blake was allowed to see Rachel. But Sophie can see she is really getting back at Alsa. Her mind is poisoned.

I know in a few week's time (around the time when a certain person who ruins Sophie's life, who I won't mention here) Revhead returns, and this is the final phase that brings about Karen's ultimate downfall, when she (accidentally) takes care of that certain aforementioned person permanently, and is sent to jail for it.

I do have a question: was her return deliberately timed to be just after Sophie's permanent departure from the series? Karen and Sophie were best friends, but I noticed Alf referencing "what about [you know who]'s mother ay? and poor young Sophie" when saying he didn't want her back.

5 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

I do have a question: was her return deliberately timed to be just after Sophie's permanent departure from the series?

It does seem to have been timed that way.

Sophie's last few episodes seemed to be about her coming "full circle", she's ready to move on to a new life and all the drama is behind her. Maybe the writers felt they just didn't want to rake up all the past at this point as it would be a step backward for Sophie so close to her exit. Personally I think it was a very wasted opportunity, it would have given her even more closure. It could also have shown how much Sophie has grown. And it would be closure for the viewer too.

There's also a chance that the writers/producers wanted Karen and Sophie to overlap (hence it being so close in the end) but either one or both of the actors' schedules and/or contract situations simply didn't make it possible for Karen to come a little earlier or Sophie to stay on an extra week or so.

Whichever one is subjectively more probable, they're both possible, and we'll never know for sure unless someone can ask one of the writers involved and even then they might not remember.

Rebekah who played Sophie is now on Neighbours. Maybe you could ask her on Instagram or Twitter if she's on there whether she would have liked to resolve the story at the time.

Archived