Best and Worst Characters from 1988-1996

Skylover

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/07/2020 at 16:46, Homeandawayfan. said:

I found Colleen an entertaining character. Colleen Smart was the Eileen Clarke of Summer Bay. The OTT banshee. Better than some of the 1 dimensional gangsters that inhabit Erinsborough and Summer Bay today.

Like other people I wasn’t the biggest fan of Colleen. 

But however she definitely was a big influence on the show and Lyn Collingwood was fine actress when she was given decent and more serious  stuff to work with. 

The people who seemed to take her most seriously were Ailsa and Max. 

I loved Morag and Colleen feud, and towards the end they grew to not mind each other. 

I think I’ve commented before but:

• Donna Bishop: a wasted character, good character with a storyline to tackle issues. A shame Nicola Quilter quit to pursue a singing career, but happy to see she runs a fashion line now
  • Lisa Lackeys character of Roxy lived up to the actress’ name of a lack of space. I feel like if the character wasn’t written out, we may get to have known her better but I also feel like she had run her course.
  • nelson McFarlane (I think that’s how you spell it) was a good character as we explored upon the backstory of Irene. I would love to see him return one day. Anyways nelson bought a home,y feel to the show and was someone to relate to in terms of personality.

i liked all these characters + more

the worst characters from this era were probably the other short lived ones (Luke Cunningham? Viv Newton, Alex Bennett, Lucinda Croft, Simon Fitz-Gerald.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On that Endless Summer documentary that was shown when H&A turned 30, Dannii Minogue hinted heavily that she'd like to come back. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. Looking for the next job is part and parcel of being an actor. She'd be a good one to bring back though. She's still relatively young (she turns 49 in October) and could come with an attractive teenager or two in tow.

4 hours ago, cymbaline said:

On that Endless Summer documentary that was shown when H&A turned 30, Dannii Minogue hinted heavily that she'd like to come back. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. Looking for the next job is part and parcel of being an actor. She'd be a good one to bring back though. She's still relatively young (she turns 49 in October) and could come with an attractive teenager or two in tow.

It's not the first time she's said that. Danni has said many times she'd like to come back. A lot of former actors have said that they'd really like to come back. Unfortunately, TPTB aren't that interested. Such a shame as we could have seen quite a few in the 30th year and the 7000 episode that same year...but we got nothing.

I'm glad Angelo is back and looking forward to Heath's return. Hopefully, we'll see more pop in and out soon but I highly doubt it. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2020 at 14:06, hapitoby said:

I'm glad Angelo is back and looking forward to Heath's return. Hopefully, we'll see more pop in and out soon but I highly doubt it. 

The producers only seem interested in returning characters from the last 10 years, such as Heath, Bianca, Angelo and Jett. I guess any former character would need a meaningful connection to Alf, Roo, Mariyln, Irene or Leah, but I'm sure there would have been returning characters who could fit that. Even Olivia's stint was a chance to bring back James or Diana Fraser, but the producers didn't go for it. Dannii's character was Ailsa's niece by marriage, but I'm pretty sure the writers aren't allowed to mention Ailsa anymore now that Martha is around... 

4 hours ago, adam436 said:

Dannii's character was Ailsa's niece by marriage, but I'm pretty sure the writers aren't allowed to mention Ailsa anymore now that Martha is around... 

Ailsa's niece by blood (her sister's daughter), Alf's niece by marriage. Ailsa did get a few mentions around the time we were told Martha was alive, but not since she turned up.

• 10 months later...

I'm watching the episodes with Leanne Dunn. Leanne is played by Kylie Foster who Prisoner fans know for playing the annoying Angel Adams in that show. The character she plays here is also annoying  (the actress has this dreadful, squeaky whiny voice which i thought she just put on to play Angel but she has the same voice here so i guess its her real voice) and totally pointless and forgettable, i ended up skipping most of her scenes. I know she is a minor character but she is one of the worst so far in the first 2 years of the show. Feels to me like she was brought in just to give Martin a storyline as the writers had clearly started to struggle with ideas for Martin 

Archived