Sally Keating

On 02/08/2018 at 20:16, Old H&A Fan said:

Skipping a few hundred episodes would mean we would miss:

• Michael's death
  • The school siege
  • Cloe's rape storyline
  • Pippa getting an Order Of Australia

.....and a whole swag of other great storylines

What was the school siege? The only I can recall during my viewing period was with Brodie Hanson and Woody(?), and obviously it's not that one as that would have been around 2001/2002.

I think the earthquake was that block too. Depending on how much they skipped, we'd also miss Don and Marilyn's wedding, Stephanie Mboto's death, most (if not all!) of Liam Tanner's and Casey Mitchell's run and possibly the cult storyline with Saul and Selina?  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, adam436 said:

What was the school siege? The only I can recall during my viewing period was with Brodie Hanson and Woody(?), and obviously it's not that one as that would have been around 2001/2002.

I think the earthquake was that block too. Depending on how much they skipped, we'd also miss Don and Marilyn's wedding, Stephanie Mboto's death, most (if not all!) of Liam Tanner's and Casey Mitchell's run and possibly the cult storyline with Saul and Selina?  

We got the cult storyline (awesome storyline btw) in March of last year (I think it ended in early April). The hiatus began a week after Shane's death.

On 05/08/2018 at 00:02, adam436 said:

The 1996 school siege was by a girl called Hannah's dad. She was a friend of Sam's and her parents were or were getting a divorce. I think the mum had custody and it sent her dad over the edge that he couldn't see her. He brought a gun into the school and held Donald in the office. Norman was epic in those scenes, 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know the ins and outs and we can speculate until the cows come home, but contracts are a complicated thing.

In the UK, for example, there are classic episodes of EastEnders, Emmerdale and Coronation Street currently being re-run.  They're all generally around the late 80s/early 90s in the story.  However, only EastEnders can be watched on catch-up steaming services.

There's also repeats of British music show Top Of The Pops being shown.  Some episodes were presented by people now known to be sex offenders, so they can't be shown.  There's also a massive issue where they can't show any episode presented by a guy called Mike Smith who died a few years back - not because he was a naughty boy, but he signed an explicit agreement saying his episodes would not be shown again, something his widow Sarah Greene (also a TV presenter in the same era) has upheld.

So there is almost certainly very complicated reasons why The Early Years has come off, which can't easily be worked around.

The 5* summer break repeats are a totally different kettle of fish, not least because it's an international territory.

On 25/04/2019 at 16:35, James Martin said:

The 5* summer break repeats are a totally different kettle of fish, not least because it's an international territory.

We don't know this. And now you're the one speculating.

People have asked several times if the "allowed number of showings" is limited to Aus or includes all showings around the world. Nobody has stated either way. But it can't possibly exclude international showings, as episodes from 1996-1997 have only ever been shown in Aus once or twice (and we know the airing limit is higher than that). So I don't think it's a different kettle of fish at all.

Fair enough to swan in with blanket statements about how contracts are complicated and we can speculate til the cows come home.... yeah thanks. We know that. But the point of this thread was about looking at the facts we do have to establish as much detail as possible. Your reply was not helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2018 at 00:02, adam436 said:

Are you a UK viewer? The siege wasn’t show here due to it happening shortly after the Dunblane massacre 

Archived